We Need A New Definition... (1 Viewer)

thailen

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
of a fumble. I never could understand why there isn't a distinction between what happens when a ball carrier drops the football and when some player punches or grabs the ball away. Why should a D be credited with a takeaway(assuming they recover), when they did nothing to cause it? Maybe we need a category like Takeaway. The same is true of the difference between a QB throwing the ball to a defensive player and when a DB actually grabs the ball in the air or deflects it to a teammate.
My point is on the one hand, the offensive guy causing the fumble or interception should be charged with a negative stat, while any defensive player should get credit when he caused the play. I'm even thinking any player causing a fumble should be given credit, even though the defense doesn't get the ball back. You think that's outrageous? Then why is there a "pass breakup" category but not a "run breakup" one?
Just a thought...

1 is a fumble and the other is a forced fumble. I very rarely see the runner just drop the ball without some type of defense being involved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom