We need international law against election “meddling” (1 Viewer)

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
What Russia did to us in 2016 is what they, we, and most other countries have been doing for the past 100 years. This is the first time it was done to us. I suspect the UK had their first taste around the same time.

We shouldn’t promote the spread of democracy, only to manipulate the democratic processes of other countries to suit our preference.

It is a complicated problem, but we need a common definition of what type of activity to ban, and then impose tough sanctions on countries who violate the rules.

Our legal system isn’t designed to handle this situation. Now we know how it feels; we should stop doing it, and stop others from doing it.

What Russia did to us in 2016 is what they, we, and most other countries have been doing for the past 100 years. This is the first time it was done to us. I suspect the UK had their first taste around the same time.

We shouldn’t promote the spread of democracy, only to manipulate the democratic processes of other countries to suit our preference.

It is a complicated problem, but we need a common definition of what type of activity to ban, and then impose tough sanctions on countries who violate the rules.

Our legal system isn’t designed to handle this situation. Now we know how it feels; we should stop doing it, and stop others from doing it.
Trying to affect the outcome of elections in a way that is beneficial to you or your group is as old as mankind. You can pass all the laws you want but you will never completely prevent it. We can't save facebook users from themselves; just educate and inform yourself so that you don't fall for misinformation whenever it happens ( and trust me it will continue to happen).

Trying to affect the outcome of elections in a way that is beneficial to you or your group is as old as mankind. You can pass all the laws you want but you will never completely prevent it. We can't save facebook users from themselves; just educate and inform yourself so that you don't fall for misinformation whenever it happens ( and trust me it will continue to happen).

Yea I know. Like murder, we will never eliminate it, but like murder, we can use laws to lessen its impact.

How would it be enforced? International law is only as good as it is respected.

How would it be enforced? International law is only as good as it is respected.

Yea, some of this is for people smarter than us, but how is any international law enforced?

I can see how it can get complicated especially when it comes to things like limiting non government individuals participation in a foreign election. It would probally violate our first amendment, but we can at least do things like requiring the reporting of foreign soending in countries that haven’t banned it themselves.

This isn’t a problem for the United States, it is a problem for democratic forms of government.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom