we need to extend Brian De La Puente (1 Viewer)

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
might free some cap space. he is 2mil against the cap now and with more years to spread it out, we could give signing bonus this year and lower the cap a mil or so

Actually we might draft a mid round rookie. It would give us a cheap longer term contract. This draft has some good center prospects.

How are we even discussing giving up on de la puente, as cheap as he is? He played like a top 10 center last year and he is getting paid in the bottom 10 starting centers.

He is one of our biggest bangs for our bucks.

How are we even discussing giving up on de la puente, as cheap as he is? He played like a top 10 center last year.

He is not going to stay cheap that is the point. No one is giving up on him. Stop being dramatic.

I say we extend him just because he has a cool name. Brian de la Puente means "Brian of the Point". What a fitting name for a center. He is at the "point" of the formation and he is Brian.

He is not going to stay cheap that is the point. No one is giving up on him. Stop being dramatic.

The OP actually has a very valid point and if somehow we could extend him and get him on the cheap for the next 3 years or so that would be very smart on our part.

I would not go the route you are suggesting.

DLP and Ivory have 2nd round qualifying offers on them now. If either gets a contract offer from elsewhere, then Loomis has the option to match or take the pick. After the draft then I expect him to sign DLP to a long term contract, unless he drafts a center early.

No hurry to sign him this week, it's more prudent to wait til after we get our draft picks chosen.

The OP actually has a very valid point and if somehow we could extend him and get him on the cheap for the next 3 years or so that would be very smart on our part.

I would not go the route you are suggesting.

We might extend him. I guess it depends on $$$. My only point is this draft has some mid round rookie talent at C which could give us another option for a cheap multi-year solution.

It does not mean I want to replace him. Just offering other options that the saints might look for as an alternative.

We might extend him. I guess it depends on $$$. My only point is this draft has some mid round rookie talent at C which could give us another option for a cheap multi-year solution.

It does not mean I want to replace him. Just offering other options that the saints might look for as an alternative.

I wonder if T-Bob is on the table, at all.

Maybe DLP doesn't want a small extension. Maybe he would rather play out this year and hit the market where he can make 4-5 mill instead of getting extended now or 2-3 mill per year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom