We only needed one corner... (1 Viewer)

depending on how players fall in the first round there are good corners available in the first three rounds. DRC/Jenkins in the 1st, Cason in the 2nd, and Chevis Jackson in the 3rd. I don't know how the Saints staff has players ranked but i would be happy with either of these guys, especially Cason or Jackson.

This is just my opinion: I honestly believe that Jason David is going to be MUCH improved this year. In fact, he's going to lead our team in interceptions and greatly reduce the number of big plays he gives up.

I disagree, Jason David was a system DB who we brought in to play in a system he isn't good at...he is under-sized and under-powered. I think we need to call this one for what it is...and what we've seen. A very bad decision by a very good Front Office...we just missed one...I wish i could say he is trade bait...but we couldn't even give him away at this point.

I would like to see at least 2 more decent corners brought in. Mike won't be ready to a high level this year. Too soon after an injury. Jason David is inconsistant, Gay is a good 3rd corner, Craft is as good as he is going to get, Young is still a maybe. 2 years from now Mike will be on a downside, Craft and David gone possibly, what is in the tank then? Time to load up on some good young potential and give them some time to learn.

Come on canyou imagine if we had Lito on the Left Gay on the Right until mid season and then we have Lito at Left and MM Right. After this season we make the move with MM to FS if Bullocks is still stinking it up. MM is going to eventually need to retire and remember tere is no guarentee that he will come back as good as he was. BTW we still have Young too.

If you've ever played corner (even in a pick up game) you know how hard it is to cover a guy for 5+ seconds. It's a lot easier if it's only 4 seconds and it's not a perfect pass because the opposing QB didn't have enough time to make the right throw accurately.

Then only problem is that last year, with the exception of MM (who may not be back until oct or nov), our CB's couldnt cover a receiver for 2 seconds, much less 5. We still need CB help. That being said we do also need DT help to give the CB's a litle breathing room with some pressure.

Then only problem is that last year, with the exception of MM (who may not be back until oct or nov), our CB's couldnt cover a receiver for 2 seconds, much less 5. We still need CB help. That being said we do also need DT help to give the CB's a litle breathing room with some pressure.

I know your generalizing, but our CB's can cover a WR for 2 seconds. David wasn't terrible when he was actually in coverage on short and intermediate routes. It was the long developing routes that killed him, and if you pressure a QB, teams can't run those routes b/c the QB doesn't have time to drop back.

I know your generalizing, but our CB's can cover a WR for 2 seconds. David wasn't terrible when he was actually in coverage on short and intermediate routes. It was the long developing routes that killed him, and if you pressure a QB, teams can't run those routes b/c the QB doesn't have time to drop back.

I agree, but at the same time, that's just too much of a liability. Even with an improved pass rush, it's not like we're going to be in the quarterback's face every play. Take the best pass rush in the NFL against the worst O-line in the NFL and there will be some plays where the O-line will nail their blocks and give the QB time. And if we still have the kind of pass coverage we had last season, a couple of plays is all it takes to burn ya.

What in the world has David done to make anyone think he will get better? I hope he does, but to blindly say he will get better sounds as if some are trying to convince themselves that it is OK that the Saints did not get a difference maker in free agency.

You must not have been watching the games in Dec, but he started playing better towards the end of the 2007 season. He even had a couple of picks.

I just want to say that the few games where Bullocks wasn't in the game, I didn't hear Jason David's name called that often.

Maybe it is just my pre-disposed dislike for Bullocks, or maybe there's something to it. I think if KK or some other safety who can cover deep plays instead of Bullocks, whoever is out there at corner will look much better.

this is just my two cents

Thats a suicidal strategy imho...this offseason proved that teams, as a rule, don't let their good corners go. Why should they? As you say, it's a gamble picking corners (or any player in the draft for that matter) so why simply ship out the guys you "hit" on for a) more gambles (ie. more picks) b) the players another team doesn't want.

U have to build through the draft. Sure you can improve in FA, but the foundations of the team have to be the draft. At least one corner early in this draft is a must...though again I'd prefer Ellis or Dorsey in round 1, including the needed trade up to get them (1st and 3rd to get to 7th should net one of them...I think that's a good deal...I don't think we should be giving up more) then someone like Antoine Cason in the 2nd

I like this approach because DT is a necessity without it our rookie cornerback is toast. To be honest in the 2nd I would take BPA (also considering who would have the most immediate impact) between WLB,CB, or RT.

I've played corner in high school and college thank you very much...

If we think we'll need a corner in two years then the time is now to get him if we think there is a special one is this draft. I am still not impressed with our current stable of guys.

We're not getting Dorsey or Ellis. Quit dreaming. They will come off the board very early.

First of all, I also am not that impressed with the current CBs; I have been saying for several years that the Saints need 1 or 2 more. At this point they still need 1 more, perhaps in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

I don't think that it is impossible that Ellis or Dorsey will still be undrafted as of pick 8 of the 1st round and I would be in favor of trading up.

In my opinion we have to go Dorsey or Ellis in the first round if avaliable. We already don't have a 4th rounder, so if trading up cost us a third then we're gonna basically have to get a CB on the second day. Payton wants a TE, and i think he may use the 2nd to get it.

So basically that gives us no option but to stand pat and wait and see what happens with the two big guys, if they're off the board either trade down or get a CB like DRC - Go DT in Trevor Laws in the 2nd - and as much as it pains me, let him get his TE in the third.

Bad news is, that pretty much only leaves us with a 5th round LB at best to compete with shanle for a starting spot. :eek:

I agree, but at the same time, that's just too much of a liability. Even with an improved pass rush, it's not like we're going to be in the quarterback's face every play. Take the best pass rush in the NFL against the worst O-line in the NFL and there will be some plays where the O-line will nail their blocks and give the QB time. And if we still have the kind of pass coverage we had last season, a couple of plays is all it takes to burn ya.

agreed:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom