We only needed one corner... (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is just my opinion: Everyone keeps saying that we needed two corners because MM is hurt and Jason David sucks. I honestly believe that Jason David is going to be MUCH improved this year. In fact, he's going to lead our team in interceptions and greatly reduce the number of big plays he gives up. Now with the signing of Randall Gay, who I really like, I think we can survive at CB with a better pass rush. The addition of a Dorsey (trading up) would be a huge boost in run defense and pass rush. Along with Hollis Thomas, they can eat up blockers to free up our DEs and LBs. Now the addition (or lack thereof) that hurts the most is Lance Briggs. I really thought we would pursue him aggressively and give him an offer he couldn't refuse. And I think it would've been worth it.

I agree to an extent. I think David will be better and Gay would probably start the season if McKenzie isn't ready(and I don't think he will be), but I still think we will need another corner. We could very well take one with our first round pick or wait until teams start cutting players this summer, but we can't be done with picking up DBs.

Completely agree. Don't forget about Usama. I also think we are gonna start running more cover 2 so that will help David. If one of the DTs falls to us we are $...

Completely agree. Don't forget about Usama. I also think we are gonna start running more cover 2 so that will help David. If one of the DTs falls to us we are $...

I agree we have some potentially good guys on our roster at Cornerback.Get a better pass rush and they will look a lot better than last year.Its all about the pass rush.

I still think we need to add a top of the line corner in round 1. Even if McKenzie comes back healthy, he has two years left in him at most.

usama and gay to hold it down til' mckenzie is back, but i wouldnt cry if we took DRC at 10

I still think we need to add a top of the line corner in round 1. Even if McKenzie comes back healthy, he has two years left in him at most.
Then we should wait two years before we add one (possibly free agency in the next few years). For now we can make average corners look great with a great pass rush. Get the DT, eat up the blockers, let the DEs and LBs get pressure. If you've ever played corner (even in a pick up game) you know how hard it is to cover a guy for 5+ seconds. It's a lot easier if it's only 4 seconds and it's not a perfect pass because the opposing QB didn't have enough time to make the right throw accurately.

Well, we now have Randall Gay in the fold. So, where does that leave us now? the guy is talented, but he's no Samuel. I'd be willing to say he's better than any current Saint DB, except McKenzie, of course. Do we still Tariq Kalib at 10?

Well, we now have Randall Gay in the fold. So, where does that leave us now? the guy is talented, but he's no Samuel. I'd be willing to say he's better than any current Saint DB, except McKenzie, of course. Do we still Tariq Kalib at 10?

if we get aqib talib im going to cry..he is slow and not near as talented as mckelvin/drc IMO

Then we should wait two years before we add one (possibly free agency in the next few years). For now we can make average corners look great with a great pass rush. Get the DT, eat up the blockers, let the DEs and LBs get pressure. If you've ever played corner (even in a pick up game) you know how hard it is to cover a guy for 5+ seconds. It's a lot easier if it's only 4 seconds and it's not a perfect pass because the opposing QB didn't have enough time to make the right throw accurately.

I've played corner in high school and college thank you very much...

If we think we'll need a corner in two years then the time is now to get him if we think there is a special one is this draft. I am still not impressed with our current stable of guys.

We're not getting Dorsey or Ellis. Quit dreaming. They will come off the board very early.

We need another corner in this draft no matter where we pick him. Two corners in their 30s, one coming off a serious knee injury. This draft is LOADED with good corners, you have to take them while they are there. If you wait until next year, you could be out of luck in the draft (and we all know how very few good players ever make it to free agency anymore). Just my opinion, but when you have a chance to get a good player at a position where it's tough to find good players, you take him.

If we get a shot at Dorsey or Ellis, then we take either one, but taking Rivers at 10 would be a serious overdraft. We should take McKelvin, Talib, DRC, or Mike Jenkins and get a LB, DT, or pass rusher in the second round (Quentin Groves maybe??).

Saintaholic, I completely agree. Corners need a year or two to develop. Look at Usama Young...he couldn't crack the lineup and when he did, he was a step or two slow on every play (not because he's slow, but because he doesn't have the experience to read routes yet). Lets get someone in the fold and have them ready to step in.

If we think we'll need a corner in two years then the time is now to get him if we think there is a special one is this draft. I am still not impressed with our current stable of guys.

We're not getting Dorsey or Ellis. Quit dreaming. They will come off the board very early.

I don't know, with the injury talk about Dorsey, he could slide, but I'm not getting my hopes up

Don't take it personal buddy. If you played corner, then you should know that your best friend is a pass rush. Dorsey is going to be as influential as Warren Sapp in the NFL IMO. That's a guy you move up to draft if you have to. My point about getting a corner down the line was through free agency or trade, not the draft. Let other teams miss and take their hit.

I agree, David will get better, he had good moments last year and Gay will contribute...I think Young will start and we have Craft as the veteran backup...were gonna pick up a corner in the draft ( to much talent to not grab one) CB may not a be a strenght, but its not a problem area anymore....can it be improved upon..yes...we should be looking to upgrade that weakside position or that 3tech position with the #10 pick....or we could be going the dreaded BPA...thanks for creating this post....I wonder how long it will take before the panic attackers....attack.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom