We play in Chicago, in December...AGAIN! (1 Viewer)

Maybe we could lobby the Saints to propose a rule to the NFL to further balance scheduling. The rule could go something like this:

When a team visits another in the regular season, on or after the Week 9 in an outdoor stadium, and experiences conditions defined as the inclement weather (which could be precisely defined based on temperature, rainfall, snow, and whether the hosting team uses longer cleats because of field conditions) that visiting team can by a letter of request guarantee that their next visit to that team will be scheduled on or before Week 8 of the regular season.

The NFL has many formulas to assure balance in competitive opportunity so this proposal should be a welcome addition.

This would not be a rule that would hurt outdoor northern teams, it would just make things even. Obviously every such team would be better off if all its southern indoor rivals visited late in the season. Obviously any other teams would rather visit early in the season unless they are accustomed to playing in such conditions and would rather their division rivals visit late in the season. Allowing affected teams to apply for an earlier visit on their next trip would balance it out and assure some rotation of seasonal timing that would make things much more even.

The reason northern teams have an unfair advantage is the luck of physics and the comfort of fans. A sweltering southern early September game could be just as hard on the Bears as a chilly northern December game is on the Saints. It could even be worse, Urlacher and Benson could leave the game with heat stroke and whine about how hard it is to play in New Orleans in September. The difference is that in cold conditions, fans can bundle up in thick jackets but players cannot. In sweltering conditions there is no way to make conditions acceptable for fans but tough on players. Fans cannot afford refrigeration suits. You cant economically air condition the fans but not the field in some open air stadium. So southern teams have to neutralize their natural advantage to keep fans comfortable, while northern teams can retain home field advantage conditions because fans can watch a game in thick layers of clothing but players cannot play in thick layers of clothing.

Last edited:
While I don't like the idea of going back to Chicago, December 11th may not be all that cold there. Further, you would think that our team should be very familiar with theirs, and maybe realize a few things:

• You have to be able to run against the Bears. We didn't do this in the playoff game, but did it successfully at the end of 07.
  • While I don't condone being afraid of any player, only kick to Hester if you're up by 17 points or better. The dude is a back-breaker.
  • Grossman and Griese beat us the last two years. If that doesn't scream "You need to improve the defense", I don't know what else does.
Third time's a charm? :shrug:

Sooner or later the Saints are going to have to learn to win a cold weather game.

I'm with you -- it's not going to be any warmer in a Bears uniform. We just need to stop whining and get the job done.

LOL, you big babies!!!

I'm glad we are playing again this year and look forward to the game. Should be some fun football discussion before the game.

While I don't like the idea of going back to Chicago, December 11th may not be all that cold there. Further, you would think that our team should be very familiar with theirs, and maybe realize a few things:

• You have to be able to run against the Bears. We didn't do this in the playoff game, but did it successfully at the end of 07.
  • While I don't condone being afraid of any player, only kick to Hester if you're up by 17 points or better. The dude is a back-breaker.
  • Grossman and Griese beat us the last two years. If that doesn't scream "You need to improve the defense", I don't know what else does.
Third time's a charm? :shrug:

Indeed...

on an unrelated note, do we get Philly at home this year? I haven't looked...

WHAT ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Bring Chicago to the Dome and let's see how tough they are.

That makes absolutely no sense. Football is a outside game meant to be played in open. This isn't tennis or baseball or even golf where a little ran or snow stops a game. THIS IS FOOTBALL. We need to play well REGARDLESS of the turf, weather, or atmosphere.

See how tough they are in a dome? How about we show them how tough we are on their home turf in the elements. If we aren't good enough to win regardless of the circumstances we need to go back home.

It acually was Orton that beat the Saints, not Griese, but same diffrence.

If the media is trying to make this a rivalry then why dont they mention how the bears fans treated our fans? At least show the sign that *************** made before the game. I am graduating college around that time and am going to go to that game for my present. I dare a ******** to hit me with a snowball. Sorry had to vent

Sooner or later the bears will have to come here to play, and when they do that is when we will show thier team and thier fans that come here, just how rowdy we can be. We will make that playoff game look like a walk in the park. Do not ever forget how they treated our fans for that game.

If the media is trying to make this a rivalry then why dont they mention how the bears fans treated our fans? At least show the sign that *************** made before the game. I am graduating college around that time and am going to go to that game for my present. I dare a ******** to hit me with a snowball. Sorry had to vent

It was covered. How much more coverage do you want? That happened over 2 years ago. Do you want it covered the next 5 games against them? At some point it has to be let go. Some of their fans were no doubt tasteless with their comments however they are a minute minority. I'm sure if you were to do an actual POLL of their fans you would be surprised at how few agree with the comments they made.

Our team needs to focus on beating them not the stupid comments they made. Also, I don't think it would be wise to try to fight a bunch of rival fans at THEIR stadium. The numbers aren't in your favor. Not only that you would probably get tossed and miss the game. All over so silly comments. They want to piss you off. Allowing them to do so is exactly what they want. Do not allow those few idiots to have that power over you.

Sooner or later the bears will have to come here to play, and when they do that is when we will show thier team and thier fans that come here, just how rowdy we can be. We will make that playoff game look like a walk in the park. Do not ever forget how they treated our fans for that game.

Fantastic. Stooping to their level. Great idea. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom