We root for Philly tonight, but also Seattle? (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
Obviously our hope is every non NFC East team in the playoff race loses as much as possible.

So our first hope is Philly upsets Seattle tonight (Philly ironically also plays GB next and then us.)

But if they lose to Seattle, is the “best” case scenario besides us winning out or GB and SEA losing in the upcoming weeks is tying with Green Bay and Seattle by the end of the year?

GB has losses to Tampa, Minnesota, and Indy (2 NFC, 1 AFC)
SEA has losses to Arizona, Buffalo, and the Rams (2 NFC, 1 AFC)
NO has losses to Green Bay and Vegas (1 NFC, 1 AFC)

If by chance GB and SEA win out and if we lose only once more and that game being to the Chiefs, we all finish 13-3, but we get the 1 seed over them since we’d have the better NFC record.

I am trying to figure out though, if we lose to a NFC team and GB/SEA wins out, who gets the tiebreaker

Last edited:
Seattle all the way.

We need that 3 way tie at the end of the season.

Green Bay has little chance to lose again.

We aren't likely running the table. So we probably need Seattle to run the table as well.

The #1 seed is doubly important this year because of added 7th team.

Whoever gets the #1 seed in both conferences is nearly guaranteed of going to the Super Bowl this year.

If we end up tied with GB and SEA, the first tiebreaker will be conference record since head to head will be skipped since that only gets used if all of the tied teams played each other.

Since SEA didn't play either of the other two teams, it skips to conference record. If that's tied, then it goes to best winning percentage against common opponents. Fortunately, we'd have a perfect record in those games if our only losses end up being against LV, GB, and KC since neither of the other two teams played the AFC West this year (the only NFC division playing games against the AFC West is the NFC South) and GB wouldn't be a common opponent with SEA since they don't play GB.

However, all three teams will have played the Vikings and GB has lost to them while SEA has beaten them plus we have the chance to beat them too. GB could end up being the first team eliminated if common opponents ends up being the tiebreaker that gets used. I'll have to look at this in depth when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Until GB loses, root for Seattle.

After GB falls to Tennessee (and they will), we can root for Seattle to drop a divisional game at the end of the year.
I worry that Tennessee may not have anything to gain by going all out for this one at that point in the season. This is the only game GB has a real chance of losing IMO

Just to throw a hitch in the thought process...if perhaps the field is expanded to 8 teams & the NFL perhaps creates a bubble city for playoffs....do we want the 1 seed? Lots of ifs, I know.

It's comforting to me to know that we really don't have any say in how this whole thing will pan out. What we 'want' versus what we'll 'get' rarely comes to pass. And until the final whistle sounds on the regular season, we don't even know for sure what will be best for us except to just win out and take care of controlling our own destiny.

I just hope that we can find a way to hang on to that coveted #1 Seed along with a Bye to get healthy & rest up. I really want that!

I worry that Tennessee may not have anything to gain by going all out for this one at that point in the season. This is the only game GB has a real chance of losing IMO

That is fair and good point. Indy needs to win out to keep Tennessee interested in winning games. Their games are winnable until Week 16: the same week GB plays Tennessee, Indy plays Pittsburgh. The big issue is that Indy plays Pittsburgh at noon and GB plays Tennessee on SNF. If Indy loses, Tennessee will clinch the AFC South ahead of even playing GB. Bad scenario for the Saints. Not the first time scheduling has worked against them...

Just to throw a hitch in the thought process...if perhaps the field is expanded to 8 teams & the NFL perhaps creates a bubble city for playoffs....do we want the 1 seed? Lots of ifs, I know.
If it goes to 8 teams, seeding doesn't really matter and expect a lot of the playoff teams to rest starters in Week 17 and 18 unless they are playing for a playoff spot.

If we end up tied with GB and SEA, the first tiebreaker will be conference record since head to head will be skipped since that only gets used if all of the tied teams played each other.

Since SEA didn't play either of the other two teams, it skips to conference record. If that's tied, then it goes to best winning percentage against common opponents. Fortunately, we'd have a perfect record in those games if our only losses end up being against LV, GB, and KC since neither of the other two teams played the AFC West this year (the only NFC division playing games against the AFC West is the NFC South) and GB wouldn't be a common opponent with SEA since they don't play GB.

However, all three teams will have played the Vikings and GB has lost to them while SEA has beaten them plus we have the chance to beat them too. GB could end up being the first team eliminated if common opponents ends up being the tiebreaker that gets used. I'll have to look at this in depth when I get home tonight.
This is useful. Thanks.

Doesn't Pittsburgh have to worry about KC and the #1 seed?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom