We should draft both Stetson Bennett and Jake Haener and have a Open QB competition in camp. (1 Viewer)

That's the exact name I think of ever time I hear someone advocating drafting Bennett. Plus he will be 26 in October. So he's like if you smashed Danny Wuerffel and Brandon Wedon together. Super successful college guy not going to do a whole lot at the next level.

Great college QB who clearly had to work hard and be blessed with remarkable confidence and determination to go from walk-on to two time champ, but the quantifiable measures and physical abilities just don’t jump off the page, and he’ll have to overcome that.

Van Dyke from Miami has lot of Pro traits as a pocker passer with above average mobility

Agree, we need options. Then let the best man win, I'm tired of trying retreads and trying to force something that they don't have. Get some arms in here, two, three, four I don't care, we throw picks away every year and SF is rolling out "Mr. Irrelevant " that proves it can be done, Dennis Allen better step up or get out!
You see every position get an opportunity except QB to be drafted after round 1 because the positions need a shot of youth but the QB position though vital keeps getting retread QB's who other franchises gave up on and the Saints learn why these teams moved on from them.

We praise the Saints for finding gems like Shaheed, Gray, Johnson, Ellis and other players in the later rounds but they seem very skeptical to give a young signal caller a spot on this team to develop.

STOP with the Bennett crap.

He is not a NFL QB. He will not be drafted.

Please read ANY draft report on him.

Any good websites (that I don't have to pay for) that you recommend?

On age and size, Young probably won’t get any taller but he’s likely got some natural filling out left to do. Both need to put on some bulk. Even Kyler Murray weighs in over 200 lbs.

It’s easy to say an inch here or a few pounds there doesn’t matter, but I think we can all understand that there is a point where it starts to matter. Under 6’, under 200 lbs seems to be about the point when size gets talked about. Fwiw, I’m not sold on Young, either, but that’s for another discussion.

I think Bennett is the quarterback who can help himself the most at the combine because of all of the other traits and accomplishments, I think there will be teams that want to feel better about drafting him. Official height, weight - if those check out (not shorter than reported, for example), making all the throws will boost his stock, maybe even considerably.

I feel, if Bennett measures out at 6’0, the surge of “short” QBs in the playoffs will propel teams to look past his height. Purdy and Hurts are both just under 6’1. Mahomes is 6’2. Unfortunately the difference between 6’0 and 5’11 is metaphorically MUCH larger than just 1 inch lol

I bet he does.

And if, by chance, all 32 teams are stupid enough not to take a flyer on him in the later rounds, this thread gets bumped in 2-3 years with a “told ya”
We just need to bring in some talent at the position. We will most likely have a veteran starter next season but who is behind him that the Saints see potential in is the big question mark. The Saints have always been about building an overall team and having a capable signal caller under center as its more about fielding a competitive team than developing a QB to lead a competitive team.

Any good websites (that I don't have to pay for) that you recommend?
Walterfootball.com
NFLDraftbuzz.com
PFF.com

Will all have some info on most players. As it gets closer to the combine all of the major sports websites will have draft profiles, Foxsports, CbSsports, ESPN, NFL.com.

Most of the articles I have read have him as a 6th or 7th round pick or a UDFA because his size is so underwhelming. He is listed at 5'11 and 190, but some say when he gets to the combine he will not actually measure that. He's supposedly only 5'10" and about 185.

Although I think I heard that Mel Kiper said the rams should draft him in the 3rd round and ranks him as the number 9 best QB prospect because "he just wins games."

I just think too many of us get too caught up in college performance and think it is an accurate indicator of a guy's ability to produce at the next level.

I bet he does.

And if, by chance, all 32 teams are stupid enough not to take a flyer on him in the later rounds, this thread gets bumped in 2-3 years with a “told ya”
I could be wrong, I am wrong a lot.

I've been married 15 years. I'm wrong all the time.

I can't blame anyone for spending a 6th rounder or later on Bennett. At that point you're just hoping to have a guy who can play special teams for cheap. If he doesn't make it, who cares? You already signed a UDFA defensive back or receiver to run down kickoffs and punts just as well as your 6th round pick would have. If he DOES make it, well, now you got your Brock Purdy.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
Walterfootball.com
NFLDraftbuzz.com
PFF.com

Will all have some info on most players. As it gets closer to the combine all of the major sports websites will have draft profiles, Foxsports, CbSsports, ESPN, NFL.com.

Most of the articles I have read have him as a 6th or 7th round pick or a UDFA because his size is so underwhelming. He is listed at 5'11 and 190, but some say when he gets to the combine he will not actually measure that. He's supposedly only 5'10" and about 185.

Although I think I heard that Mel Kiper said the rams should draft him in the 3rd round and ranks him as the number 9 best QB prospect because "he just wins games."

I just think too many of us get too caught up in college performance and think it is an accurate indicator of a guy's ability to produce at the next level.
I also think NFL scouts get too caught up in measurables and miss out on good players because they don’t measure up but they win, they run through a wall for their teammates, they get their teammates to run through a wall for them, they love the game and they find a way to will their teams to victory.

I also think NFL scouts get too caught up in measurables and miss out on good players because they don’t measure up but they win, they run through a wall for their teammates, they get their teammates to run through a wall for them, they love the game and they find a way to will their teams to victory.
I think there is a good case to be made for your point, but there are LOTS of guys who did great in college undersized that disappoint in the pros.

If we could just have a crystal ball to know which player is which!

I could be wrong, I am wrong a lot.

I've been married 15 years. I'm wrong all the time.
I think there is a good case to be made for your point, but there are LOTS of guys who did great in college undersized that disappoint in the pros.

If we could just have a crystal ball to know which player is which!
On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are thousands of super athletes who don’t possess the necessary intangibles and have been drafted based on athleticism alone, only to disappear before their rookie contracts end.

That’s why I value the intangibles so much

How many guys in the NFL right now are having a great career, even though they are “less than prototypically sized?”

I’d bet there are at least a dozen at every single position.

EDIT: idk why it quoted two of your posts, and I can’t figure out how to fix it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom