We trade down, then who do we go with in round 1? (1 Viewer)

First, there is no need to trade down. Second, to trade down, you need someone willing to trade up and willing to offer you enough to entice you to move down. Third, I will repeat, there is no need for us to trade down. Better to take the BPA on defense, especially if it is Lotululei, Jones, Mingo, or Jordan than to trade down for a second-rate talent just so that we can say that we picked up a possible second or third round draft choice.

I kinda agree, but then kinda dont, IF and only IF we can trade down, I would hope to pickup more then just our 2nd round pick.

Maybe we can trade down and get a 2nd round back and a player.

Who knows, but if we can swing a combo deal, I am all for it, especially if we can address our defense with our 1st round pick, and maybe grab a Olinemen in the 2nd.

Its all theroetical anyways, because we never hear of these deals until draft day, unless the media gets wind of it, right? Correct me of Im wrong.

Thanks

Its all theroetical anyways, because we never hear of these deals until draft day, unless the media gets wind of it, right? Correct me of Im wrong.

These are always draft day deals (while on the clock) when they play out in the middle of the round. Not much risk to drop up or down 5 spots to get your man.

But when you jump up 20 spots like the Redskins or the Falcons then you need the team owner involved because that means multi year picks.

Humoring the trade down scenario. I'd like to target @ 25: Trufant or Rhodes (CBs). It's not our most glaring hole in our D but the Saints like DBs early and the value here should be good

I would like for us to stick at #15. This is a great opportunity to get a BLUE CHIP talent on defense. With that said, if all the blue chip talents are gone, I would not mind trading down to late in the 1st.

I think Ansah will be available in the mid 20's. I know a lot of people here think highly of the guy (including me). But just reading scouting reports from NFL insiders and such, it seems like a lot of teams, although enamoured by his athletic talent, shy away from his very limited football experience.

So say we trade down to 24, snatch Ansah, and maybe get a 2nd rounder, get Rambo or Ashford.

the more i read up on things the more sense it makes to draft dion jordan at #15. like someone mentioned already, the only way we trade down is if all the blue chips are gone, but i highly doubt that at pick 15.

I'd rather have one Megatron or JPP then a Robert Meachem and Patrick Robinson.

To me, the chances of us getting a game changer in the future is slim as long as we have Brees. We have to take the best player available at 15 and worry about getting a bunch of average players later...

We have several holes to fill but I don't think you can fill them with a bunch of draft picks. When has 4 or 5 draft picks ever come in and immediately contribute and more importantly, make them better...

Having said that, I think a excellent pass rusher can make a significant differance on any defense.

We just don't like to trade down early in the draft. I wouldn't count on it.

Nor would it necessarily be the right move. We need an elite talent. That's more likely at the 15th pick vs. the bottom of the round.

A possible trading partner could be Seattle who are at 25. Pete Carroll said the following about a week ago:

“We need another pass rusher,” Carroll said, via the Tacoma News-Tribune. “We really do. That’s why we went out and got Jason (Jones) last year. And we’re going to have to double it up. We need a couple of guys.”

Pete Carroll wants a few good pass rushers | ProFootballTalk

We need a pass-rusher more than they do.

Well in my original scenario all the blue chip pass rushers were gone, so maybe I was wrong to suggest Seattle as a trading partner.

We have more needs... we can use a good CB, safety, or Tackle at 15. But I truly wouldn't mind trading down but I just think guys are trying too hard to recoup the 2nd rounder. There's gonna be a real good player at 15 that can help us whether its a position of "need" or not.

We just don't like to trade down early in the draft. I wouldn't count on it.

Nor would it necessarily be the right move. We need an elite talent. That's more likely at the 15th pick vs. the bottom of the round.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you... but I'm not sure our chances aren't better with multiple selections. For instance...here are the DEs/LBs drafted in the past 2 years between selections 15-25.

Ryan Kerrigan
Adrian Clayborn
Cameron Jordan
Bruce Irvin
Quinton Coples
Melvin Ingram
Shea McClellin
Chandler Jones

Here are the DEs/LBs selected between 25 and 50.

Muhammad Wilkerson
Cameron Heyward
Jabaal Sheard
Akeem Ayers
Bruce Carter
Brooks Reed
Dont'a Hightower
Whitney Mercilus
Nick Perry
Courtney Upshaw
Andre Branch
Mychal Kendricks
Bobby Wagner

Its not scientific by any means... but would you rather be picking 1 from the top list at random, or 2 from the bottom list at random?

*** The odd thing is that before I looked at the names, I expected many more whiffs. Practically all these players have added value to their teams. Bobby Wagner, for instance, recorded 140 tackles for the Seahawks this year.

I'd take Eddie Lacy! Then I'd trade Mark Ingram for a 1st rounder and Chris Ivory and Vilma for two more 2nd rounders! Then I'd take the 1st and the two 2nd rounders and trade them for Calvin Johnson! Then I'd switch Megatron to OLB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom