We trade down, then who do we go with in round 1? (1 Viewer)

treeduck

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that we know that we're not getting our 2nd round pick back and there's not going to be any compensatory picks, also probably nothing from any Ivory deal, if we trade down for picks to around 25, what kind of selection do we make?

Obviously this an early stage, lots can happen between now and April 25, but who would we be looking at? And who would we be happy with? Matt Elam? Sam Montgomery? Bennie Logan? Or do we stick with the 6 picks we have and take Jordan/Mingo/Jones etc?

A possible trading partner could be Seattle who are at 25. Pete Carroll said the following about a week ago:

“We need another pass rusher,” Carroll said, via the Tacoma News-Tribune. “We really do. That’s why we went out and got Jason (Jones) last year. And we’re going to have to double it up. We need a couple of guys.”

Pete Carroll wants a few good pass rushers | ProFootballTalk

What if we trade away one of the cap killers we're trying to unload for a 2nd pick? Like Vilma or something?

First, there is no need to trade down. Second, to trade down, you need someone willing to trade up and willing to offer you enough to entice you to move down. Third, I will repeat, there is no need for us to trade down. Better to take the BPA on defense, especially if it is Lotululei, Jones, Mingo, or Jordan than to trade down for a second-rate talent just so that we can say that we picked up a possible second or third round draft choice.

Pete Carroll says that the Seahawks need another pass rusher, while we on the other hand need A pass rusher.

We don't just need a pass rusher we have needs at OT S, CB, NT, TE, OC.

Pete Carroll says that the Seahawks need another pass rusher, while we on the other hand need A pass rusher.

I guess junior is a run defender....we need "another" passrusher too. Only thing is ur best passrusher was stuck on the bench till 3rd n long because he was a tweener.

Ijs...

If Jordan mingo or Jarvis are there i say we draft them if not i say tade back and take lane Johnson and Alex Okafor

I have been back and forth on this lately despising the fact that we do not have our second in such a deep defensive draft and knowing our new DC is going to need as much help as he can muster in the draft. Trading down does sound like a good idea. Some factors to take into consideration are

- We simply may not be able to ignore a huge defensive talent that falls to us at 15 (Jones, Ansah, Jordan, etc). One thing that looks to be helping us is the fact that a few OT's seem to be improving their draft stock after the Senior Bowl, which is only going to push more defensive talent down to us. It is a strong possibility that Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson are all off the board by the time we pick. You simply do not wanna be kicking yourself in the butt because you passed on a legitimate playmaker or game changer just to get more picks.

- What happens with Bushrod? This is going to be HUGE in determining our draft day strategy. On a positive note here though, I am confident that Loomis has a contingency plan in place much like he had in place with Nicks when we immediately turned around and signed Grubbs. . So to be honest I am not too worried here whether we lose Bushrod or not. Even if it's not Long or Albert, I am fairly confident we are signing at least one FA Tackle.

- Who will be picking our defensive talent? I sure hope the new DC is very adept at this or has someone on his staff that knows how to find both premier and hidden talent in the draft that fits his system. Getting extra picks sounds great but what we do with those picks will determine if it was the right move or not. Outside of Cameron Jordan we have been downright abysmal at this in years past and is one of the main reasons we are in such a defensive mess as we are now. Letting this new "scout" if you will target players we need and knowing who will be available is going to help us significantly come draft day in whether we are moving down or not.

If I was GM I would trade down to 20 with the Bears and then trade down from 20 to Seattle's spot.

Bears need an OT and the Hawks need another rusher. We should be able to get Jesse Williams or Sharif Floyd to anchor the line with Seattle's pick.

If we do this we can get a late 1st, mid 2nd, and late 3rd (but lose our mid 4th). I would be ecstatic if we could pull this off.

- Who will be picking our defensive talent?

In the past, Loomis has made all draft picks with heavy input from Payton & Reiprish in the early rounds and primarily Reiprish in the later rounds. I doubt they change that. The new DC will probably have most of his input in evaluating the players and stacking the draft board, which may be what you were saying.

The prevailing thought here is that the new DC will be calling the shots in the draft so he can get the players he needs on defense, but the Saints have never done that and I don't think they will start this year.

If I was GM I would trade down to 20 with the Bears and then trade down from 20 to Seattle's spot.

Bears need an OT and the Hawks need another rusher. We should be able to get Jesse Williams or Sharif Floyd to anchor the line with Seattle's pick.

If we do this we can get a late 1st, mid 2nd, and late 3rd (but lose our mid 4th). I would be ecstatic if we could pull this off.

Madden?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom