We used Murray more at least? (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrah

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yes the offense was overall bad, but I noticed Murray had 15 carries or so?

Hoping this isn’t just a fluke and we see 15-20 carries a game for him.

Also- I’m quite ecstatic that we beat a good TB team and dropped 34 despite our offense not playing well. It shows we have great potential

We did, but it felt like the conundrum with Ingram and Sproles where you knew what type of play we were running depending on who was in the backfield. I don’t think I saw us try running Kamara between the tackles until late in the game. Our offense works best when both backs are capable of inside runs , outside runs, pass catching, and screens.

It’s week one though, and I think a lot of that was due to some miscues on the OL. There was no preseason. I’m sure we’ll see better usage as the season goes on.

That's the kind of carries he needs in games to be effective.
Our offense started clicking when he was running and Kamara was playing these "Ace" roll.

The thing is, we will HAVE to get back to effectively running Kamara (did well on goal-line) to keep the defense honest.
If not, they will do like they did Sunday and Key in on Alvin when he's on the field.

Untill we improve the interior oline. Expect the offense to struggle against good dlines.

Those 2 RB / 3 WR sets may work nice to keep the D honest.

Agree it was pretty much a run right to the middle every time Murray touched it...

When we committed to running it inside we did well behind the right side. The cute stuff on the edge was where the failures showed up. TB was too fast and the blocking scheme was out of sink.
At least we didnt go all Falcon and throw it 51 times in a loss...

Yeah that really jumped out to me. Even though AK just got the big contract I'd love to see him used in tandem with Murray like yesterday.

They didn't set the world on fire in the run game but I like the split all the same. Our O line didn't look great yesterday but the good news is they aren't going to be facing front 7s like the Bucs every week. My goodness do they have some dudes. They were flying to the ball and wreaking havoc.

Our offense works best when both backs are capable of inside runs , outside runs, pass catching, and screens.

Both of our backs are more than capable of above. the key is the oline providing space for them, which they didn't do consistently yesterday, play-calling (running them into 8-9 man boxes) was a factor also....plus TB's front 7 is formidable....

How many times did Murray get hit in the backfield, only to fall forward for 2-4 yards and the first down.

Keep feeding the L-Train.

Especially since he is facing he former team Monday night. ( So is J.Cook.)

I was somewhat shocked and pleased to see him get the majority of the carries yesterday (15 carries for Murray 48 yards 3.2 ypc, 12 for Kamara for 16 yards 1.3 ypc). For all the criticism thrown Payton's way he deserves credit for this. All fans were screaming all offseason to get Murray more involved , well our head coach is doing that. We will be a much more balanced team and Kamara will be much fresher and healthier if we continue this. Murray is running hungry and effectively. We need to continue to feed him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom