We will pick a Secondary player! (1 Viewer)

I really don't care who we draft. The Saints could draft my mom as long as she can play some inspired defense. That's what I feel we are missing, some fire on that side of the ball.

I understand the pass rush argument but Gallette and Martez will be playing more snaps this year. I think they can generate a pass rush in the 3-4 and then you have Cam and Hicks.

Sent via Tapatalk

I just hope we take the best player available, besides QB or G

We need help in all areas of this defense, so drafting BPA on defense will be a good approach regardless. However, I feel like our secondary will be more of a liability in the new alignment than our front 7 (I would have argued the opposite before this season).

The secondary took a real big step backwards this past season, whereas, the front 7 seems to have potential and some more upside.

Our DL seems to be our strength right off the bat in the 3-4. The LB core has a good blend of old vs young presence with some veteran players in (Lofton, Vilma, Hawthorne) and some young potential starters in Gallete and Wilson. However, when evaluating our secondary, I have a hard time finding a bright spot for both now and the future. Robinson can be great, but he needs to figure out a lot from now to the start of the season. Jenkins and Harper have shown they are serviceable (at best) safeties in this league. IAQ is a good FS, but is he the playmaker we direly need in the secondary? Greer is not getting any younger and took a major step backwards last season. Neither Patrick nor White look to be the answer in the slot. It looks like the secondary needs a shot of athleticism and playmaking.

I will be happy with any player we draft, however I am liking a S or CB at 15 more and more.

For the record, I also think Matt Elam is one heckuva safety. I just don't see him going at 15, though I would be ecstatic if we took him there.

To the OP (and those in agreement with him):

It's AMAZING what a good pass rush will do to make a defensive backfield look great. If there's no pass rush, even the best DBs will look pedestrian.

I totally agree with this.......however, the Saints secondary was so atrocious last year, that no matter how improved the pass rush became....(& it did improve considerably in the 2nd part of the season) our secondary was still awful! At times, I compared PRob to Jason David......I couldn't believe how bad Greer played at times......how in the world could Jenkins miss soo many tackles??......like he didn't want to hit anybody!....and Harper?.....he was still OK rushing the passer under GW....but he couldn't get out of his own way at times, when forced to cover...

All that in totality, questions the competence of the secondary at the pro level.....sure, a pass rusher would be great...but would that change the secondary shortcomings? I seriously doubt it......

I have no idea who will the Saints FO will draft....but I know one thing....major improvements are warranted at every position in the secondary. Of that I have no doubt.

I've decided whom I want the Saints to draft: next season's defensive rookie of the year. And I want them to draft the runner up in round 3.

And I know you all agree.

Grab Elam at the end of the first maybe a CB in the second and Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd. If we need NT Depth we can bring Franklin back and/or draft Geathers later. I also think we re-sign Bushrod and get Victor Butler in FA. We will more thank likely grab a tackle late as we always do. Cut and re-sign both Smith and Vilma. Restructure Harper, Grubbs, Evans and possibly Brees. Sounds like a good offseason to me. :hihi:

Safety play is vital in today's NFL.

Look at the impact Earl Thomas, Dashon Goldson, Harrison Smith, Ed Reed, Troy (not so much anymore), Falcons S duo (Decoud, Moore).

Teams seemed to pick on our safeties. I feel like it is a position we must upgrade.

our former DB coach Dennis Allen insisted on picking on Jenkins/Harper when we played the raiders.

If we don't have one new starter @ S this year im going to puke.

If sean payton decided to purge spags after a horrible year..then u have to do something about having the 85th/86th ranked Safeties in the league.

Our passrush wasn't all world...but it wasn't THAT bad either.

Grab Elam at the end of the first maybe a CB in the second and Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd. If we need NT Depth we can bring Franklin back and/or draft Geathers later. I also think we re-sign Bushrod and get Victor Butler in FA. We will more thank likely grab a tackle late as we always do. Cut and re-sign both Smith and Vilma. Restructure Harper, Grubbs, Evans and possibly Brees. Sounds like a good offseason to me. :hihi:

Yeah id love that...if we could trade back id take elam@ 22. Hes ranked as a 2nd rounder right now..but good safety play is worth it. Troy P was taken what in the mid/early 20's? If he has the possibility to add some playmaking ability to your backfield i think u take it.

If theres one thing thats true..Safeties/Corners good ones are rarely found in the later rounds. Of course you have exceptions like Richard Sherman...but most of the top corners in the league now. Leon Hall, Cromartie,Revis,Haden, were drafted early.

Matt Elam
David Amerson
Brandon Jenkins
zavier Gooden
Geathers

Toss in a WR/KR and we are GOLDEN.

Vaccaro has always had an NFL skill set. And whereas the Texas defense has taken its lumps the last few years, Vaccaro has been coached by easily one of the best DB coaches in college football in Duane Akina.

vaccaro would b great. need db who can play. we have none maybe move jenkins to cb. and get reed in fa.that would b agreat start.i don't see wilson being olb.we drafted him as mlb.galette and who then?at outside. free agent?

Vaccaro will go in the top ten, so forget about him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom