Weatherford Punting Poorly? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I was at the game and it seemed to me that Weathefords punts were short with very little hang time. Especially compared to Atlanta's punter who was booting then so high that our returners had to call fair catch.

Did anyone notice this? Or am I stupid? Or Both? Ha!

Weatherford had a bad game punting the ball although he did get off a couple with a lot of hangtime. His performance this year has made Berger expendable.

He did have a bad game punting. During one of Kenny Wilkerson's sideline reports on WWL during the game he said that Weatherford has been having problems in practice with his consistency. He'll have 2 or 3 good punts and then he'll shank one really bad.

He only had one shank, and it rolled in our favor. I thought he did pretty good for a rookie.

Don't forget that Michael Koenen has one of the strongest legs in the NFL.

He did have a bad game punting. During one of Kenny Wilkerson's sideline reports on WWL during the game he said that Weatherford has been having problems in practice with his consistency. He'll have 2 or 3 good punts and then he'll shank one really bad.

This is not new. During camp he would kill these 70 yard kicks with a perfect spiral and incredible hang time to the oohs and ahhs of the fans then he would send the water boy on the sidelines running for his life with a shank. I think the coaches did a great job working with him and he quit trying to kill the ball every punt and just started kicking consistent. The past couple of games it looks like he is trying to kill it again. If this keeps up expect to see some of the prettiest punts you have ever witnessed but also expect the fans to start bringing their gloves to the game hoping for a foul ball.

His punting has been mediocre to subpar since the break. I don't know if it's because he's a rookie getting tired (although a punter shouldn't tire that much!) or if he's reverting to bad habits, but it is somewhat of a concern. We lost big time on field position yesterday because Atlanta's punter was killing the ball while our punter was shanking it.

He has had a suspect second half of the season, however, even Ray Guy would have looked bad compared to the Falcon's punter. That kid is good.

one of his punts had over 5 seconds of hangtime, which is incredible.

To me, it's not the shanks that bother me. It's when we punt near midfield and we can't pin the other team inside the 20 yard line. I've been noticing this for several weeks now. While Weatherford hasn't been bad, I don't think his punting has been as good as Berger's.

Last edited:
Payton even acknowledged on his morning press conference that our punter needs to keep working on it.

I think he has had a couple of bad games. I am routing for him to work through the motions and get it right

Considering he can't do kickoffs (and as a result we've had to add another kicker which cuts into our 45 dressed) he's becoming a liability. He needs to pick his game up or he'll get cut in the offseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom