Week 4 DVOA ratings (1 Viewer)

I hate to be the clueless dummy, but what's DVOA?

It's tough to sum up but I'll try:

It's a statistical measurement system that combines two things that aren't commonly factored into normal football statistics: How well the player or team in question did in specific situations, i.e. a RB that got 3 yards on a 3rd and 1 did better than a RB that got 3 yards on a 2nd and 15; and then makes an adjustment based on the opponents that team or player faced.

The reasoning behind it is to basically try to give a bit more accurate view on how good a football team is based on how they preform in specific down and distance situations along with making adjustments based on the squads they faced when they did it. Theoretically, it should would extremely well and I think it does but it, like all other statistical measurements, can't measure intangibles like just downright luck. That and a four week sample size probably isn't as big of one as you'd like to see. Despite all that, the DVOA ratings are usually pretty solid. Honestly, I'm more interested in them than sportswriters power rankings. No offense to the sportswriters but the DVOA has more solid science behind it.

And, the "strength of schedule" for the remaining teams on the Saints schedule is DEAD LAST right now!

I was thinking about that after the win on Sunday. The fact that only four of the upcoming games are against teams with winning records at this point (two, by the way, against ATL), and another two against .500 ball clubs, is tantalizing. Too soon to count our chickens, but our future is so bright I've gotta wear shades!:ezbill:

The best thing on that list is where Carolina is ranked, dead last. Right behind Oakland, Detroit, and St. Louis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom