Match Up Week 7 Referee Assignment (1 Viewer)

B-Train

The West Bank's Favorite Son
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good afternoon fellow Saints fans.

According to Football Zebras, the referee assigned to the Saints @ Ravens matchup this Sunday is none other than John Parry.

Here are his stats as an NFL Official, per Pro-Football-Reference.

Of note, this will be his second Saints game this season. His first was the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Here are some other recent and/or noteworthy Saints game he has officiated:

• October 25th, 2009 - New Orleans @ Miami. I think many of us remember this one as another amazing entry in the lore of that Superbowl run. Saints went down by a lot early and I had friends messaging me to talk trash. Out of nowhere, Brees put on his Superman cape and went to business. Awesome come from behind win that included a QB sneak and a Brees slam dunk over the uprights.
  • October 9th, 2011 - New Orleans @ Carolina. This was the Saints first time playing Cam Newton. Saints win a thriller with Pierre Thomas scoring on a six yard TD pass from Drew Brees with less than a minute to go in the game. Saints advance to 4-1. Another entry in a great season. Funny enough, this year the Saints had some back and forth at kicker with former Panthers great John Kasay serving as the kicker for New Orleans in this game (Olindo Mare, former Saints kicker, was the kicker for the panthers here). I remember watching this game at a sports bar with my dad and my girlfriend (now my wife!). Good memory.
  • January 14th, 2012 - New Orleans @ San Francisco. Divisional Round playoff game. I still wish something had been called against SF for taking Pierre Thomas out of the game. But otherwise, this was one of the greatest football games ever played. Our boys just ended up on the wrong side of it when the clock hit 0:00.
  • November 15th, 2015 - New Orleans @ Washington. I'd rather not remember this particular blowout. I don't think officiating was a reason for this meltdown, however.
  • September 11th, 2016 - Oakland @ New Orleans. Season opener from 2016 where Oakland scored the go-ahead with less than a minute to go. This one was unbelievably frustrating as the Saints dropped a third consecutive season opener.
  • November 26th, 2017 - New Orleans @ Los Angeles Rams. Saints came back to make it competitive with less than two minutes to go, but realistically Rams own this one.
He has done some other saints games as well, but I figured this was a decent list. Here are some of his statistics as an official relative to other refs this year:
  • 2018 Home Penalty %: 56.6% (league average is 47.38% this year). This shows he is not afraid to throw flags against the home team. Good for us!
  • 2018 Home Win %: 80% (league average is 63% this year). Tampa Bay beating New Orleans is the only away team that has won with him as an official this year... Time to flip that script!
  • 2018 Penalties/Game: 10.6 (league average is 13.75). Hoping this means slightly less of a flag fest than the NFL usually sees these days.
  • 2018 Penalty Yds/Game: 93.6 (league average is 116.46). Same as above point.
Anyways. Please let me know what you guys think about the above stats or if you have any memories from the games which John Parry has officiated. If you click on his Pro-Football-Reference link above, you can see all his stats and all games officiated. Here's to hoping for a low-penalized and objective matchup from an officiating perspective.

• [*]September 11th, 2016 - Oakland @ New Orleans. Season opener from 2016 where Oakland scored the go-ahead with less than a minute to go. This one was unbelievably frustrating as the Saints dropped a third consecutive season opener.
    [*]
This was one of the worst officiated games I can remember. Was it Robertson called for PI on 4th down on a ball thrown 15 yards out of bounds?

Thank you for this detailed info. Greatly appreciated.

On the flip side, the Giants@Falcons MNF game has Tony Corrente, which sadly seems to give a slight edge to the home team if I had to guess. Plus, the Giants don't look like they're beating many teams this year anyway.

This was one of the worst officiated games I can remember. Was it Robertson called for PI on 4th down on a ball thrown 15 yards out of bounds?

Yes, it was. I'll go to my grave believing, rightly, that the ball was thrown FAR too high to have been catchable in the first place. 2016's defense still had issues, but we were royally screwed in that one.

Just a reminder that we had ZERO penalties in that playoff game vs the 49ers. I know many on here have a persecution complex and love to act like the refs were against us in that game over Thomas' injury, but we had zero penalties.Every call went our way down the stretch of that game.

We also got some favorable calls in that 2016 game vs Oakland that could've went the other way.

If anything, having Parry ref for us is a big help. I'm fine with it as long as we win.

We had several calls go our way in that game with the passes that could've been fumbles.

The Raiders had 14 total penalties compared to our number of 7.

Not the refs fault we couldn't play defense that day.

Just a reminder that we had ZERO penalties in that playoff game vs the 49ers. I know many on here have a persecution complex and love to act like the refs were against us in that game over Thomas' injury, but we had zero penalties.Every call went our way down the stretch of that game.

We also got some favorable calls in that 2016 game vs Oakland that could've went the other way.

If anything, having Parry ref for us is a big help. I'm fine with it as long as we win.
In general I think he's a good one. I can't complain that's for sure. I hope the Saints can help bring his 2018 Home Win % down to the mean this week!

Good afternoon fellow Saints fans.

According to Football Zebras, the referee assigned to the Saints @ Ravens matchup this Sunday is none other than John Parry.

Here are his stats as an NFL Official, per Pro-Football-Reference.

Of note, this will be his second Saints game this season. His first was the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Here are some other recent and/or noteworthy Saints game he has officiated:

• October 25th, 2009 - New Orleans @ Miami. I think many of us remember this one as another amazing entry in the lore of that Superbowl run. Saints went down by a lot early and I had friends messaging me to talk trash. Out of nowhere, Brees put on his Superman cape and went to business. Awesome come from behind win that included a QB sneak and a Brees slam dunk over the uprights.
  • October 9th, 2011 - New Orleans @ Carolina. This was the Saints first time playing Cam Newton. Saints win a thriller with Pierre Thomas scoring on a six yard TD pass from Drew Brees with less than a minute to go in the game. Saints advance to 4-1. Another entry in a great season. Funny enough, this year the Saints had some back and forth at kicker with former Panthers great John Kasay serving as the kicker for New Orleans in this game (Olindo Mare, former Saints kicker, was the kicker for the panthers here). I remember watching this game at a sports bar with my dad and my girlfriend (now my wife!). Good memory.
  • January 14th, 2012 - New Orleans @ San Francisco. Divisional Round playoff game. I still wish something had been called against SF for taking Pierre Thomas out of the game. But otherwise, this was one of the greatest football games ever played. Our boys just ended up on the wrong side of it when the clock hit 0:00.
  • November 15th, 2015 - New Orleans @ Washington. I'd rather not remember this particular blowout. I don't think officiating was a reason for this meltdown, however.
  • September 11th, 2016 - Oakland @ New Orleans. Season opener from 2016 where Oakland scored the go-ahead with less than a minute to go. This one was unbelievably frustrating as the Saints dropped a third consecutive season opener.
  • November 26th, 2017 - New Orleans @ Los Angeles Rams. Saints came back to make it competitive with less than two minutes to go, but realistically Rams own this one.
He has done some other saints games as well, but I figured this was a decent list. Here are some of his statistics as an official relative to other refs this year:
  • 2018 Home Penalty %: 56.6% (league average is 47.38% this year). This shows he is not afraid to throw flags against the home team. Good for us!
  • 2018 Home Win %: 80% (league average is 63% this year). Tampa Bay beating New Orleans is the only away team that has won with him as an official this year... Time to flip that script!
  • 2018 Penalties/Game: 10.6 (league average is 13.75). Hoping this means slightly less of a flag fest than the NFL usually sees these days.
  • 2018 Penalty Yds/Game: 93.6 (league average is 116.46). Same as above point.
Anyways. Please let me know what you guys think about the above stats or if you have any memories from the games which John Parry has officiated. If you click on his Pro-Football-Reference link above, you can see all his stats and all games officiated. Here's to hoping for a low-penalized and objective matchup from an officiating perspective.

B-Train: Tons of work go into a post like yours, and it's great when you actually put stuff of VALUE in it! :9:

I believe that the Saints will have something up their sleeve for Baltimore. Trap blocks, pulling guards, misdirection, and shirtload of screens. Drew is a master in going through his progressions, and our O-line is one of the best in the NFL.

The game will be a challenge, and the Ravens may get a couple of sacks (...maybe). But overall, the fact that Sean Payton and his coaching staff have had the bye week to prepare makes this one that I like the Saints' chances to win.

JMO

:gosaints:

B-Train: Tons of work go into a post like yours, and it's great when you actually put stuff of VALUE in it! :9:

I believe that the Saints will have something up their sleeve for Baltimore. Trap blocks, pulling guards, misdirection, and shirtload of screens. Drew is a master in going through his progressions, and our O-line is one of the best in the NFL.

The game will be a challenge, and the Ravens may get a couple of sacks (...maybe). But overall, the fact that Sean Payton and his coaching staff have had the bye week to prepare makes this one that I like the Saints' chances to win.

JMO

:gosaints:
Thank you! And yes I agree with your sentiment. Most importantly, what I hope for (and predict) is that this will be a well officiated game that doesn't have TOO many flags.

I actually looked him up yesterday in preparation for this post, but I got too demoralized to post it. Since Playoffs of 2011, we have not won a single game with this ref as our ref, regardless of home or away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom