Weekend all games thread 11/23-11/24 (1 Viewer)

after watching the interview with the Vandy HC you can't help but be happy for him. Damn he had me fired up.

He’s infectious. I was bummed when Vandy lost James Franklin - I loved how he led the team and motivated the players, but Mason has been right out of the same play book. Great hire.

Chuck, Franklin might've had an infectious take charge attitude at Vanderbilt while leading them to three consecutive 9-win seasons, but when a bigger school with a larger payment came calling, he left and never came back, in fact he took several big name recruits who originally committed to Vanderbilt, like Chase McSorley, with him to Penn State and had more success there in the past 5 seasons then he ever could've hoped for at Vanderbilt.

That's the painful, unavoidable, unvarnished truth about Vanderbilt football, you may get some decent, "infectious" HCs who lead by example and maybe win 8, perhaps 9 games every now and then but don't fool yourself or be deluded in thinking it's a coaching job that's not some launching pad for somewhere better or higher-paying schools where their likely to win more games and recruit 4-5 star recruits. James Franklin realized very early on he wasn't ever to seriously compete for SECCG as Commodores HC. But that's okay, he went somewhere where he would have a better shot and ultimately he's succeeded there.

Chuck, Franklin might've had an infectious take charge attitude at Vanderbilt while leading them to three consecutive 9-win seasons, but when a bigger school with a larger payment came calling, he left and never came back, in fact he took several big name recruits who originally committed to Vanderbilt, like Chase McSorley, with him to Penn State and had more success there in the past 5 seasons then he ever could've hoped for at Vanderbilt.

That's the painful, unavoidable, unvarnished truth about Vanderbilt football, you may get some decent, "infectious" HCs who lead by example and maybe win 8, perhaps 9 games every now and then but don't fool yourself or be deluded in thinking it's a coaching job that's not some launching pad for somewhere better or higher-paying schools where their likely to win more games and recruit 4-5 star recruits. James Franklin realized very early on he wasn't ever to seriously compete for SECCG as Commodores HC. But that's okay, he went somewhere where he would have a better shot and ultimately he's succeeded there.

Yeah, duh.

Eddie DiNardo was coach when I was there.

Yeah, duh but it's kind of sad if you're a Commodores fan realizing that's the best you can ever expect to be not just as an SEC school, but as a college football program in general. It's also a bit depressing to realize one of the main reasons why Vanderbilt remains in the SEC is because Vandys high academic standards makes the SECS own academic levels seem somewhat respectable.

Yeah, duh but it's kind of sad if you're a Commodores fan realizing that's the best you can ever expect to be not just as an SEC school, but as a college football program in general. It's also a bit depressing to realize one of the main reasons why Vanderbilt remains in the SEC is because Vandys high academic standards makes the SECS own academic levels seem somewhat respectable.

That’s not really accurate. More of a fanciful cocktail of error, myth, and pure hogwash.

What the fork is going on in this thread?

I thought he was being mean but then I re-read his post - I don’t think he was being mean, just stating a tired old line about Vanderbilt in the SEC.

Perhaps the Vanderbilt academic SEC status was fanciful hyperbole that isn't based on statistical analysis. It's just playful, silly rival BS from a rival SEC teams fan. FWIW, I've heard some SR posters say far worse, insulting remarks about Auburn on this board over the years that were intentionally meant to be mean and more inaccurate in terms of their arguments overall. Chuck, if we're being honest, Vanderbilt' s never going to be a team who's going to seriously contend for a SEC East title or an SEC Championship. At least anytime soon considering they play in the same division as Florida, Georgia, Tennessee if they ever get their acts together, and perhaps now Kentucky who've had a very respectable, breakthrough 9-3 season in a state historically known for being a college basketball powerhouse.

Then again, if the Wildcats can become a halfway decent, dominant SEC football team maybe there's hope for Vandy.

Last edited:
Fair enough Saintman. I have no illusions on Vandy winning an SEC football title. It’s fun to have something to rah-rah for in football season because Vandy is indeed in the SEC and on a fairly decent run of not being the worst program in the conference, despite having a total undergraduate enrollment of 6,900 kids. It’s remarkable actually.

So yeah, coaches move to bigger jobs but finding the right ones isn’t easy - ask Tennessee. Vandy has been in the second tier of SEC basketball (with UK being the only one at the top) for decades now, and a top tier baseball program for a good 15 years, with a national championship to go along with strong programs in other sports.

Despite having well under half the enrollment of the next smallest SEC school, Vandy is really competitive. And that’s all alums can ask for - because it’s fun. Almost none of us went there because we were a fan of the school’s sports. We went there for payday, not gameday . . . *boom!

Just kidding actually - I think that’s also a bit of a myth. Vandy’s a great school but there are other strong schools in the conference and strong individual programs at each of them.
O

I live in Spring, TX (not much more a distance than New Orleans to LSU), and our neighborhood has a Facebook page for “rants and raves”. It’s amazing seeing how many Louisiana neighbors I have after somebody (a TAMU fan) posted about A&M beating LSU and suddenly the there are about 100 responses about how the refs jobbed LSU. It has now devolved into a sludge match of “well if you don’t like Texas why don’t you go back to Louisiana.” I love this place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom