Welcome Home Johnny Jones!!! Geaux Tigers!!!! (1 Viewer)

VVextreme

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Introducing LSU's brand new men's basketball head coach...

Johnny Jones.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny Jones Named Men's Basketball Head Coach - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

THE JOHNNY JONES FILE
Birthdate: March 30, 1961
Hometown: DeRidder, La.
High School: DeRidder High
College: LSU, BA, 1985
Wife: Kelli

College Coaching Experience
1984-85 - Student Assistant, LSU
1985-87 - Assistant Coach, LSU
1987-88 - Administrative Assistant, LSU
1988-94 - Assistant Coach, LSU
1994-97 - Associate Coach, LSU
1997-99 - Associate Coach, Memphis
1999-2000 - Interim Head Coach, Memphis
2000-01 - Assistant Coach, Alabama
2001-12 - Head Coach, North Texas
April 13, 2012 - Head Coach, LSU

FYI, he also recruited Shaq to come to LSU. :)

Attachments

• ETSBAQJUSKUEDPC.20120414000817.jpg
    ETSBAQJUSKUEDPC.20120414000817.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 13
I like the hire. I've been able to follow him at North Texas with the local coverage. His teams have been competitive and good. But he was recruiting to a small school in not-so-picturesque Denton. Welcome home Coach!

Hate to rain on our own parade, but what's the real deal about his connection to Lester Earl and losing a suitcase full of money at an airport or something? This was all really before my time, so would appreciate the real scoop.

But if this is actually true, then why the HELL did we hire this guy back if he's the reason we got into probation in the first place?

That article has nothing to do with a suitcase full of cash or recruitment violations. I'm seeing references to this by tiger fans everywhere, so there's gotta be something to this. I'm just not sure of the real story. What are the cash-filled skeletons in this dude's closet? If it's not true, then why are these stories popping up everywhere? What really happened? And if it's not true, then why do so many people think it's true?

For instance...

"Johnny Jones was the guy with the suitcase of money in the Lester Earl fiasco under Dale Brown. LSU got put on probation and Jones had his fingers all over that illegal recruiting of Lester Earl. Once again, thanks but no thanks."

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2011/07/lsu_basketball_riversides_rica/2528/comments-2.html

I remember him - Dale Brown's right hand man.
Hope he has success.

I wish him well and hope he can get things turned around as quickly as possible.

That article has nothing to do with a suitcase full of cash or recruitment violations. I'm seeing references to this by tiger fans everywhere, so there's gotta be something to this. I'm just not sure of the real story. What are the cash-filled skeletons in this dude's closet? If it's not true, then why are these stories popping up everywhere? What really happened? And if it's not true, then why do so many people think it's true?

For instance...

"Johnny Jones was the guy with the suitcase of money in the Lester Earl fiasco under Dale Brown. LSU got put on probation and Jones had his fingers all over that illegal recruiting of Lester Earl. Once again, thanks but no thanks."

Comments on LSU basketball: Riverside's Ricardo Gathers commits to St. John's | LSU Tigers Central - Page 2 -

I didn't mean the article as answering your question. You asked if it was the case why did we hire him? You answered the question. Obviously it wasn't the case. Earl later came out and said he lied to investigators. Jones was cleared. Don't you think LSUs Board of supervisors wouldn't approve the hiring if there was something to it?

Not the hire to make if you want to rise above mediocrity, but I'm sure by now we all realize that there are no aspirations to rise further than a Men's Final Four appearance once a decade in Baton Rouge. He'll last at least fifteen years because he'll talk the right way to residents, but he won't win anything. Not even with Randy Livingston to help with recruiting.

I didn't mean the article as answering your question. You asked if it was the case why did we hire him? You answered the question. Obviously it wasn't the case. Earl later came out and said he lied to investigators. Jones was cleared. Don't you think LSUs Board of supervisors wouldn't approve the hiring if there was something to it?

Wish I could say the LSU Board of Supervisors would always be above that sort of thing, but I can't. I do know there is more to this story that absolutely nothing happened though. If Earl came out and admitted he lied, how come Brady was on probation all those years? I never heard a word about it getting removed or reversed or anything. Also I'm thinking they don't put an entire program on probation just at the word of some kid.

Is this just our Cam Newton moment where we're supposed to look the other way and pretend he's innocent? I've seen Tiger fans everywhere mention this suitcase incident, but without a lot of backstory. I haven't seen any of the major articles on this guy discuss the incident, so you'd think they'd at least address this issue somehow. They should discuss the whole story and say why they think he's innocent... or raise what questions should be asked here. I'm just trying to understand what really happened, since this was all before my time and apparently it's coming back to haunt us.

Regardless of the cheating incident, I say if JJ fails, then Aleva should exit the door with him. He better hope this guy succeeds and keeps the program clean is all I'm saying. And if this guy had even a hint of anything to do with us getting placed on probation, this is the worst. hire. ever.

Sorry guys, I'm just really having a hard time getting excited over a guy who might or might not have helped LSU get placed on probation. I don't want to become Awbarn. If someone knows the whole story and could somehow fill in the gaps as to why a majority of Tiger fans STILL think he's guilty as sin, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Not the hire to make if you want to rise above mediocrity, but I'm sure by now we all realize that there are no aspirations to rise further than a Men's Final Four appearance once a decade in Baton Rouge. He'll last at least fifteen years because he'll talk the right way to residents, but he won't win anything. Not even with Randy Livingston to help with recruiting.

Just an anecdotal example, but my Dad's reaction is that he is going to cancel his season basketball tickets as a result of this hire. He seems to think JJ really did lose this suitcase of cash or whatever. He's had season tickets to LSU Baseball, basketball and football for decades. This hiring finally got him to cancel the basketball tickets. Perhaps he will excite more fans than he loses, but I haven't seen just a super wonderful reaction to this hire so far based upon radio and internet posts. If he wins, then everything will be ok. However I'm not sure how popular of a hire he is right now. It's going to be hard to really get the support of the fans if they never really liked you from the beginning. Geez, look at Les Miles. Dude's won a ton of football games and he's still not truly accepted in Baton Rouge.

But I will say this, he did make Trent Johnson just look plain silly the last time they played each other. At the very least, should be a step up. I actually went to that game randomly and had no clue he'd end up being our coach one day. His scrappy little crappy team looked pretty good. I'm curious what he could do with some real talent.

What's he making anyways? I hope we're not overpaying him! He should make less than Trent Johnson. If we're going to go bargain bin hunting, we should at least get bargain bin prices.

VV, I've been hearing reactions quite the opposite from yours. In fact, even Dandydon.com says he has heard mostly positive feedback.

VV, I've been hearing reactions quite the opposite from yours. In fact, even Dandydon.com says he has heard mostly positive feedback.

DandyDon is the eternal LSU optimist. You pretty much have to boy rape the towel boys before he rips you in a very suttle and politically correct manner. That's just his style. I don't read too much into it though.

My biggest concern is if this guy is a cheater or not. I really have no clue. I was too young to really understand that sort of thing back then. I'm willing to give a mediocre coach a shot and willing to support him, that's why I started this thread. However I didn't know about this whole suitcase full of cash at that time, so I'm just concerned is all. I don't want to become Awbarn and have to make excuses for the guy like he's cam newton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom