Welcome to Your Father's Saints (1 Viewer)

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
Not since the days before Drew Brees and Sean Payton have we seen a gridiron exhibition from our Saints like the debacle last night.

Older Saints fans can remember with all too painful regularity how the black and gold would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Many of us remember the River City Relay not only as the huge letdown that it was, but also for the fact that we'd gotten that close... A massive improvement over the perennial sad sacks of the league. Jim Mora quitting mid season long before Petrino did the same to the falcons. Once Archie Manning left there was a revolving door of ineptitude at the position until Jim Hazlett brought in Jeff Blake who played far beyond the average fan's hopes... Until he was lost for the season with a broken ankle. In stepped Aaron Brooks, a journeyman backup we'd picked up from from the Packers. Well, he played well enough to demand a renegotiation, and then the smirks and laughter after an interception or a backwards pass just didn't sit well with folks who were tired of saying yearly, "Maybe next year".

There usually was reason to hope for the next year. We were going to draft early, and maybe we could FINALLY get that one piece we always seemed to be lacking. A new coach... Something.

Well, I'm still as diehard as I've been for years, but the writing on the wall is becoming painfully easy to read:

Having traded our first round pick next year to philly, our best hope for an early pick this coming draft is negotiating with the team that bids highest for Sean Payton. Unfortunately, once we negotiate with them, I suspect that some of the folks negotiating on our behalf may just find themselves on the staff of whichever club wins his services... How fair a deal will we be getting with that possible result in the near future?

I'm not saying this is fact, but the very real potential is there. And certainly would seem the luck of the long standing fans of New Orleans. The final straw? With dwindling odds of a talented roster in coming years (cap issues, a coaching staff that should be flushed, moreso than canned) what are the odds that we, the faithful get the coach we deserve...

I fear we're going to have a few "rebuilding years" ahead of us just to become competitive again.

Welcome back to what Saints fandom was like "way back when".

Still...

GEAUX SAINTS!!

If the front office had any hesitancy towards playing hardball and getting about as much as they possibly can for Payton.. I'mma have to assume that they've gotten over it based on a change of circumstances.

TB game reminiscent of the 1979 Raiders MNF game when "Stake Snabler" (Dilibonics) erased a 3 TD halftime lead, or the 1983 Rams dagger when Lansford, courtesy a prevent defense, drilled a field goal to erase what would have been the first winning season & playoff berth. I almost started throwing paper airplanes at my TV last night.

Not since the days before Drew Brees and Sean Payton have we seen a gridiron exhibition from our Saints like the debacle last night.

Older Saints fans can remember with all too painful regularity how the black and gold would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Many of us remember the River City Relay not only as the huge letdown that it was, but also for the fact that we'd gotten that close... A massive improvement over the perennial sad sacks of the league. Jim Mora quitting mid season long before Petrino did the same to the falcons. Once Archie Manning left there was a revolving door of ineptitude at the position until Jim Hazlett brought in Jeff Blake who played far beyond the average fan's hopes... Until he was lost for the season with a broken ankle. In stepped Aaron Brooks, a journeyman backup we'd picked up from from the Packers. Well, he played well enough to demand a renegotiation, and then the smirks and laughter after an interception or a backwards pass just didn't sit well with folks who were tired of saying yearly, "Maybe next year".

There usually was reason to hope for the next year. We were going to draft early, and maybe we could FINALLY get that one piece we always seemed to be lacking. A new coach... Something.

Well, I'm still as diehard as I've been for years, but the writing on the wall is becoming painfully easy to read:

Having traded our first round pick next year to philly, our best hope for an early pick this coming draft is negotiating with the team that bids highest for Sean Payton. Unfortunately, once we negotiate with them, I suspect that some of the folks negotiating on our behalf may just find themselves on the staff of whichever club wins his services... How fair a deal will we be getting with that possible result in the near future?

I'm not saying this is fact, but the very real potential is there. And certainly would seem the luck of the long standing fans of New Orleans. The final straw? With dwindling odds of a talented roster in coming years (cap issues, a coaching staff that should be flushed, moreso than canned) what are the odds that we, the faithful get the coach we deserve...

I fear we're going to have a few "rebuilding years" ahead of us just to become competitive again.

Welcome back to what Saints fandom was like "way back when".

Still...

GEAUX SAINTS!!
Dang! The smirk after throwing a pick still raises my blood pressure

TB game reminiscent of the 1979 Raiders MNF game when "Stake Snabler" (Dilibonics) erased a 3 TD halftime lead, or the 1983 Rams dagger when Lansford, courtesy a prevent defense, drilled a field goal to erase what would have been the first winning season & playoff berth. I almost started throwing paper airplanes at my TV last night.
I remember both of those...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom