Well, It's Time... (The Wall) (2 Viewers)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I think that's the same tunnel they got a tour of yesterday on MSNBC. The 70 feet depth, I believe, was at the tunnels entrance. But because of the elevation difference in the terrain from the entrance of the tunnel to where it actually comes out on the UIS side, there are points where the tunnel is 500+ feet underground. At one point in the tour, the reporter stopped and just listened for a second. He asked the CBP agent if those were cars and trucks traveling on a major road he was hearing and the agent said it was. The tunnel entrances aren't right near the border and neither are the exits.

(Just clicked the link and saw the beginning of the video - it's definitely the same tunnel.)

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While they probably would dig deeper, it wouldn't be as feasible. The deeper you dig, the more dangerous and expensive it becomes to do so. At some point it becomes more feasible to explore other options than digging a tunnel. I don't necessarily think a wall across the entire border is needed, but it could be useful across some areas. There already are natural barriers and fences across the border, so simply upgrading areas that most need it seems more prudent than walling off the entire border.
I take it you have never witnessed a well being dug in a small town in México :hihi:

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
.. and speaking of wall, there is another caravan forming in Honduras... I may bump the old thread to birch about it.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
From the guy on NPR a few days ago, the average wait is 3 years. Those that missed, have to wait 3 more years...

6 years, you can't leave the USA. Crazy.
And Trump would love to find a way to detain all of these people the entire time.

The situation with the immigration court is not sustainable.

We’ve got violent criminals waiting in a line three years long because the courts are tied up with grandmas and landscapers.

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And Trump would love to find a way to detain all of these people the entire time.

The situation with the immigration court is not sustainable.

We’ve got violent criminals waiting in a line three years long because the courts are tied up with grandmas and landscapers.
I'm not even talking asylum cases. I'm talking about people who are legal immigrant, have work authorizations, and are either working towards their green card or US citizenship. I'm sure they're all mixed in there.

If I'm using this chart right, there are almost 800,000 pending cases. Look at how bad it has gotten the last few years. I'm not sure if it's from all the illegals who entered in the early 2000's who are trying to get legal status, but the backlog has increased by a factor of 10 in the last decade, excluding criminal/national security, etc cases. Clearly we don't have 800,000 asylum cases.

1547850445018.png

https://trac.syr.edu/phptools/immigration/court_backlog/

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/536/
Why Does the Backlog Continue To Rise?
No single reason accounts for this ballooning backlog. It took years to build and new cases continue to outpace the number of cases completed. This is true even though the ranks of immigration judges since FY 2016 have grown by over 17 percent[3] while court filings during the same period have risen by a more modest 7.5 percent[4].

Clearly the changes the Attorney General has mandated have added to the court's challenges. For one, the transfer of administratively closed cases to the pending workload makes digging out all the more daunting. At the same time, according to the judges, the new policy that does away with their ability to administratively close cases has reduced their tools for managing their dockets.

There have been other changes. Shifting scheduling priorities produces churning on cases to be heard next. Temporary reassignment and transfer of judges to border courts resulted in additional docket churn. Changing the legal standards to be applied under the Attorney General's new rulings may also require judicial time to review and implement.

In the end, all these challenges remain and the court's dockets remain jam-packed. Perhaps when dockets become overcrowded, the very volume of pending cases slows the court's ability to handle this workload - as when congested highways slow to a crawl.

Saint_Ward

Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Part of it is Obama's fault. Changes in policies allowed for a lot of continuances for certain cases. So, it shifted some of the case load. Lots of other changes in the law, via court cases and Admin priorities affected this a bit.

https://cis.org/Report/Massive-Increase-Immigration-Court-Backlog

• "[C]ontinuances increased by 23 percent from [FY] 2006 to [FY] 2015,"4 and "immigration judge-related continuances increased by 54 percent from about 47,000 continuances issued in [FY] 2006 to approximately 72,000 continuances issued in [FY] 2015."5 Department of Homeland Security (DHS) attorneys and others complained that the "frequent use of continuances [by immigration judges] resulted in delays and increased case lengths that contributed to the backlog."6
  • The number of cases the immigration courts "completed annually declined by 31 percent between [FY] 2006 and [FY] 2015 — from 287,000 cases completed in [FY] 2006 to about 199,000 completed in [FY] 2015".7
  • Total case completions declined, even though the number of immigration judges (IJs) increased 17 percent.8

WhoDatPhan78

Reaction score
I'm not even talking asylum cases. I'm talking about people who are legal immigrant, have work authorizations, and are either working towards their green card or US citizenship. I'm sure they're all mixed in there.

If I'm using this chart right, there are almost 800,000 pending cases. Look at how bad it has gotten the last few years. I'm not sure if it's from all the illegals who entered in the early 2000's who are trying to get legal status, but the backlog has increased by a factor of 10 in the last decade, excluding criminal/national security, etc cases. Clearly we don't have 800,000 asylum cases.

1547850445018.png

https://trac.syr.edu/phptools/immigration/court_backlog/

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/536/
That chart is only dealing with cases that are with the immigration court. Usually that means removal proceedings/Asylum.

If someone files for a green card or citizenship and they have met all eligibility requirements, they will usually have their green card/natz ceremony within six months. There are exceptions of course, but 6 months is normal, and for many it’s closer to 4 months.

The normal process doesn’t involve the courts at all.

Saint_Ward

Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That chart is only dealing with cases that are with the immigration court. Usually that means removal proceedings/Asylum.

If someone files for a green card or citizenship and they have met all eligibility requirements, they will usually have their green card/natz ceremony within six months. There are exceptions of course, but 6 months is normal, and for many it’s closer to 4 months.

The normal process doesn’t involve the courts at all.
Ok, was just going off of what I heard on the radio.. the guy was saying 3 years.. lots of cases involving people married to US citizens getting final authorization.

I don't mind being wrong.

WhoDatPhan78

Reaction score
Ok, was just going off of what I heard on the radio.. the guy was saying 3 years.. lots of cases involving people married to US citizens getting final authorization.

I don't mind being wrong.
That guy may have been conflating different parts of the process.

The spouse of a US citizen must have their green card for three years before they can apply for citizenship, but that’s a statuatory requirement, not a processing delay.

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom