Saints Well... This is why Teddy Bridgewater was signed... (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
The Brees injury sucks out loud, but it is what it is... The Saints brought Teddy Bridgewater back as insurance in case something exactly like this happened!
If Teddy ever wants to be a starter in the NFL again, he MUST take advantage of this opportunity. He doesn’t have to set the world on fire, he just needs to go 3-3 over the next 6 games... .500.
The Saints still have an elite RB, elite WR, high-end TE, and one of the better O-lines in the league. The defense is also top half of the league in my opinion.

This will also test CSP’s ability to coach this team thru adversity. Get Teddy prepared, get the guys back in line, and go .500 or better to the BYE week.

Yeah, we're about to find out a whole lot about this organization.. top to bottom.

Starting with exactly how good Sean Payton is.

What I saw yesterday was an offense that couldnt effectively use the star players. Teddy's job isnt to go out and put the team on his shoulders and carry us to victory... it's simply to get the ball into the hands of AK, MT, and Cook. He should be able to do that. Any QB should.

I'd KILL for .500.
If we can somehow manage .500 while Drew is out, we have a chance when he returns. But we need significant improvement from the offense next week. Funny how Drew just makes things click. If that's not a showing of why he shouldve gotten at least 1 MVP, I dont know what is.

Brees should be back after the bye, so Teddy really only has 5 games. Best case is he can manage to win 3 out of 5.

It's a brutal stretch of opponents, but I think it's possible. Split Seattle & Dallas, then win 2 of 3 vs Tampa, Jax, and Chicago.

Then Brees comes back vs. the Falcons on November 10th - needing to finish out 6-3 to win the division at 10-6.

My biggest issue with Bridgewater is his inability to get Kamara the ball in the passing game. Kamara should have had 10 receptions easily yesterday. There’s no way to defend Kamara getting 1 reception.

They were blanketing Thomas and Kamara all day. The only way to correct this is to game-plan to have Kamara to be open by design, instead of the 2nd or 3rd read.
You don't do that on the fly, it comes in your preparation and install. We will see a game-plan for Teddy Sunday and hopefully it will be suited to his strengths.

One good thing that may help us out a lot is that there is zero film out there for the opposing defense to use.
If we come out with an entirely different look than what we show for Brees, it could keep them on their heels.

Let's hope for that.

If we can somehow manage .500 while Drew is out, we have a chance when he returns. But we need significant improvement from the offense next week. Funny how Drew just makes things click. If that's not a showing of why he shouldve gotten at least 1 MVP, I dont know what is.

Made me think of this quote:

"I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TRY AND SAY HE'S A SYSTEM QUARTERBACK. HE IS THE SYSTEM." -- Zach Strief on Drew Brees

This will also test CSP’s ability to coach this team thru adversity. Get Teddy prepared, get the guys back in line, and go .500 or better to the BYE week.
This is absolutely the key. I have a hard time getting angry at Teddy for not looking sharp in Los Angeles yesterday. Let's face it, a lot of the offense was breaking down in most phases.

However, things will be different when the gameplan is set up for his strengths and the players are on board with the changes that will be incorporated to work best with Bridgewater running the show. Even if the trip to Seattle is another loss, it is still important to see Teddy doing his job well... and that includes not holding the ball for an eternity and the picking the wrong receiver to throw to. My guess is that the coaches already have some idea of what types of plays will best suit a Bridgewater-led offensive scheme. So now everyone on the field needs to be on point about how they can adjust to the changes and help get this offense in gear.

Teddy may not have to do much more than win 3 or 4 of the games prior to the BYE week before Drew can reload his season. But if Bridgewater can do nothing to help the team get a few 'W's, then I see no reason to keep him on the roster after this year. We will surely know by then what we have in him as a starter.

They were blanketing Thomas and Kamara all day. The only way to correct this is to game-plan to have Kamara to be open by design, instead of the 2nd or 3rd read.
You don't do that on the fly, it comes in your preparation and install. We will see a game-plan for Teddy Sunday and hopefully it will be suited to his strengths.

One good thing that may help us out a lot is that there is zero film out there for the opposing defense to use.
If we come out with an entirely different look than what we show for Brees, it could keep them on their heels.

Let's hope for that.

Bridgewater had no problems throwing it to Thomas blanketed or not. Kamara getting 3 targets and 1 reception is a problem.

Brees should be back after the bye, so Teddy really only has 5 games. Best case is he can manage to win 3 out of 5.

It's a brutal stretch of opponents, but I think it's possible. Split Seattle & Dallas, then win 2 of 3 vs Tampa, Jax, and Chicago.

Then Brees comes back vs. the Falcons on November 10th - needing to finish out 6-3 to win the division at 10-6.
you're forgetting the arizona game

As bad as Bridgewater looked yesterday, and it was bad, he was thrust in there after having not been a part of the original game plan, and not getting regular reps with the 1’s... I’m not making excuses for him, and many of the issues he had need to be corrected (or at least managed).. but...

It was pretty clear the offense was deflated after their unquestioned leader was out of the lineup.

The terrible call that erased a TD also took momentum and steam away from the Saints... and the almost constant “mistakes” from the refs are taking a toll on the players. The countless holding calls were also BS, but no call when Peters grabbed TQS by the face mask, ripped his helmet off, and then punched him in the jaw.

The OL appeared to have trouble adjusting to the difference between Brees’ and Bridgewater’s cadence on the snap count.

The OL was also not prepared to have to hold their blocks for so long while Bridgewater struggled to make a decision and pat the ball.

The defense keyed on Kamara and dared Bridgewater to beat them... he was not up to the task.

...with a full week of practice and working with the 1’s, plus a game plan that is geared towards his strengths... TB can have a better showing vs Seattle (it cant get much worse).

*I’m also hoping that the Saints work Taysom Hill in at QB some and give him a chance to “carpe the diem”. If Hill can show he has a hot hand and the team rallies behind him, he may take over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom