Welp. It's time (1 Viewer)

Zeetes if you don't already I would highly suggest seeing a therapist. I've been going to one for around 18 months now and I recommend to any one. Also you don't want to trade one dependency for another.
i do and a psychiatrist. i wouldn't be here if not for both. going on 3 years now.

my drinking has gotten out of control over the last year or so. before i could go days without, now it was to the point of everyday. $25-30 a day for jameson... also an expensive habit. i can drink a bottle with ease.

I am so glad you decided to do this. We don’t know each other personally but a family member was going through the same thing a few years back end it was difficult to see him destroy himself, like you he also went to rehab and changed his life around. He and my daughter had a baby boy and that baby is now 12 years old, Which coincidentally enough is how long he’s been dry. That kid was a godsend, no I’m not suggesting you go and have a baby with your wife but I’m sure there is something out there that will give you purpose and I’m pulling for you.God bless and good luck
i regret no kids, though i never did before. i guess, looking at old man gmr, if he can have a kid, i could too.

btw, BobE, I had a doc tell me that the benedryl is fine even daily. And I do take it daily. Godsend. Melotonine on the other hand, I have heard you should not take more than a couple of times a week because it will make you body stop producing it. As we age we produce less of it anyway which is why kids sleep so well.

btw, BobE, I had a doc tell me that the benedryl is fine even daily. And I do take it daily. Godsend. Melotonine on the other hand, I have heard you should not take more than a couple of times a week because it will make you body stop producing it. As we age we produce less of it anyway which is why kids sleep so well.
a lot of medicine makes me very tired and groggy. both benadryl and melatonin, i don't even want to get up after 10-12 hours.

Well the Melatonin was recommended to me by my Sleep Dr and a pharmacist. I use it probably 3-4 times a week.

May marks my 9th year sober. It’s crazy for me to think about what has happened since the last time I had a drink.

zeetes- congrats being on the wagon. it gets easier to not drink; but the wagon moves slow so if you fall off, you can get back on.

BobE has great points - about the support and especially about the getting used to existing without it. That was the hardest for me. Getting over the feeling of everyone looking at you at bars or getting embarrassed having to turn down wine at a dinner party. But eventually I got to wear it like a badge of honor and will now find myself volunteering the information in casual conversation.

i hate to admit, i fell off the wagon tonight.

my favourite bar reopened (limited capacity). i went for the best club sandwich in baton rouge. spent the next 5 hours hanging out with former (and soon to be current staff again) and had more fun than i've had since the beginning of the year.

between 4pm till 9pmish (close), i had a total of one shot. i feel guilty having a shot, but at the same time (yes, alcoholic justification) you have no idea how much in that environment. i'd normally totally drink a lot, a lot, and i mean a lot.

it was totally weird hanging out with people i've known and usually go barhopping with, and being the only sober person at the end of the night.

i spent more than a few bills on food and rounds of shots (that i wasn't a part of), but more than half was tips (seriously, great people). the same people have taken me out many times to get sheet faced other places (no money out of pocket).

i am not proud of pressure for the shot, but i personally see it overall as a positive not getting drunk, especially on double jameson $5 day.

today marks the restart of my 30 day promise to myself, yet, i do feel a smidge of satisfaction for limiting myself to only a drink (shot). this is a miracle for me. hanging out with professional drinkers, not getting trashed (as i almost guarantee i would normally), is a huge step for me, no matter who thinks what about it. it really is a massive a improvement.

i can only thank the support of this board (and a great relative) to fork up the wagon, but have control to not want the feel the need to drink.

i hate to admit, i fell off the wagon tonight.

my favourite bar reopened (limited capacity). i went for the best club sandwich in baton rouge. spent the next 5 hours hanging out with former (and soon to be current staff again) and had more fun than i've had since the beginning of the year.

between 4pm till 9pmish (close), i had a total of one shot. i feel guilty having a shot, but at the same time (yes, alcoholic justification) you have no idea how much in that environment. i'd normally totally drink a lot, a lot, and i mean a lot.

it was totally weird hanging out with people i've known and usually go barhopping with, and being the only sober person at the end of the night.

i spent more than a few bills on food and rounds of shots (that i wasn't a part of), but more than half was tips (seriously, great people). the same people have taken me out many times to get sheet faced other places (no money out of pocket).

i am not proud of pressure for the shot, but i personally see it overall as a positive not getting drunk, especially on double jameson $5 day.

today marks the restart of my 30 day promise to myself, yet, i do feel a smidge of satisfaction for limiting myself to only a drink (shot). this is a miracle for me. hanging out with professional drinkers, not getting trashed (as i almost guarantee i would normally), is a huge step for me, no matter who thinks what about it. it really is a massive a improvement.

i can only thank the support of this board (and a great relative) to fork up the wagon, but have control to not want the feel the need to drink.

I certainly wouldnt call it a failure. You were in an environment around people you would normally drink heavily and you only had one shot

Being newly on the wagon, being in a place around people where you regularly drink heavily is a tough test. Maybe you didnt get an A+ but I would call it a B. You kept your head and didnt use the "well I already failed so what does it matter of I have more" excuse

I certainly wouldnt call it a failure. You were in an environment around people you would normally drink heavily and you only had one shot

Being newly on the wagon, being in a place around people where you regularly drink heavily is a tough test. Maybe you didnt get an A+ but I would call it a B. You kept your head and didnt use the "well I already failed so what does it matter of I have more" excuse
i keep trying to not justify it, but i totally appreciate your response.

i am still angry with myself giving in to, even just one, the shot, but at the same time only having one shot with hours of professional drinkers. i feel a winner. i don't have any regrets paying for their rounds or tipping the people who have multiple times made sure i make it home (driving me home in my car, with another following to bring them back).

i'm mad at myself, yet proud at the same time.

i keep trying to not justify it, but i totally appreciate your response.

i am still angry with myself giving in to, even just one, the shot, but at the same time only having one shot with hours of professional drinkers. i feel a winner. i don't have any regrets paying for their rounds or tipping the people who have multiple times made sure i make it home (driving me home in my car, with another following to bring them back).

i'm mad at myself, yet proud at the same time.

Then dont justify it. Just recognize that it is a work in progress and you did well on your first big test but have room to improve. I am surprised you stopped at one since alcohol lowers inhibitions.

Then dont justify it. Just recognize that it is a work in progress and you did well on your first big test but have room to improve. I am surprised you stopped at one since alcohol lowers inhibitions.
it sounds like an alcoholic saying bullshirt, but i have never had an addictive personality with alcohol or drugs.

i am trying to work through this crazy isolation time by cleansing my body. at the same time, the opportunity to see people i like, after months, is so awesome for me, a bipolar 2 depressive.

one shot is an absolutely amazing accomplishment for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom