Welp. It's time (1 Viewer)

So after spending 10 hours at the hospital a decision was made. Instead of 5 days at a facility I will be doing a 8 week outpatient treatment going 3 or 4 days a week. I'll be contacting them tomorrow. In the meantime hooray Lithium.

I'll assume you all have already created a contingency plan if you feel like you can't control things while an outpatient.

Success rests on starting out right, and then dealing with boredom and stress later. Applies to alcohol, smoking, drugs, over eating, anything, really.

Good luck my man. You have plenty of people here you can reach out to, as well.

I know my persona on here here is that will arse crazy guy drinking making a ruckus and "sorry for partying". But the truth is that has become me.

Don't worry, you'll always be fun whether you're drinking or not. But to paraphrase Toby Keith, you may find out that other drunks aren't that fun when you quit drinking. :hihi:

One thing most alcoholics have in common is we don't eat well. Alcohol does rob the body of essential B vitamins. Replacing them is
important, but it's best that one medically detoxies first. Quitting alcohol cold turkey can have fatal consequences regardless of diet.
I can only speak for myself,but I was put on a tapering program of ativan for 7 days. Ativan is a benzo that effects the same area of
the brain as alcohol. I was to the point I was shaking so bad I could not put in my contact lenses without taking 2 shots of whiskey. The
DT's ain't no joke. It's actually safer to cold turkey off heroin than it is alcohol.

Very true, I am aware that benzos are prescribed commonly, and that thiamine deficiency does not contribute to DTs. I mentioned the supplementation due to potential secondary effects of alcoholism in the brain (encephalopathy), I did not mean for it to come across as a vitamin cure for his alcohol problem. I figured he has enough on his plate right now, and taking a water soluble vitamin is easy enough and is not going to hurt. Hopefully they tested his thiamine levels and that they are fine.

I'll assume you all have already created a contingency plan if you feel like you can't control things while an outpatient.

Success rests on starting out right, and then dealing with boredom and stress later. Applies to alcohol, smoking, drugs, over eating, anything, really.

Good luck my man. You have plenty of people here you can reach out to, as well.

Honestly and this could be the wrong opinion to have but I just plan on beating this. I wish I could remember exactly how my wife told me this but it was basically "Want to know how I know you will beat this? Because anytime you see something as impossible to do you always say oh yea? and you beat it every single time" I will say this even though I'm only on roughly hour 36 with no alcohol the best thing that has happened so far was waking up this morning and not having a hangover. I felt amazed, happy, clear minded and most of all I FELT HUMAN AGAIN and I loved it.

Will temptation arise? I have no doubt. I will say though the wife had to work today so she went to bed as soon as we got home while i ran an errand and had all night to myself and I had no desire to have one. She has been gone all day and again no desire and lets be honest before this being off on a Sat, wide at work and LSU playing yea I'd be cracking them up left and right.

My only downside for today was ever place I need to call were all closed so I have to wait till Monday and the last Lithium pill I took. 15 mins after I took it I was like yup nap time. But I have to admit that it was one kick arse nap. Now I will admit the real test will be when i return to work. That damn place is 90% of the stress in my life.

My father was a major alcoholic, and I drink a lot, but am trying my best to not turn into the alcoholic he was. My mother always said that his personal metabolism was such that he just didn't get hangovers. She said that she wished he did get hangovers because maybe it would have discouraged him from drinking every day. I doubt it though.

My father was a great man/father/husband for 50 of his 75 years on this Earth. But his alcoholism turned him into a stereotypical ornery old SOB. He turned into an A-hole in his last 2 decades because of his alcoholism. I regret that now I cannot think of him as the great father/husband he was for 50 years. All I can remember is that he was an A-hole and verbally abusive to my mother for the last 25 years.

My Mother has forgiven him but I can't. He died an old drunk. Most people remember him as the great man he was. I can only remember him as an abusive drunk. And that is a shame.

Honestly and this could be the wrong opinion to have but I just plan on beating this. I wish I could remember exactly how my wife told me this but it was basically "Want to know how I know you will beat this? Because anytime you see something as impossible to do you always say oh yea? and you beat it every single time" I will say this even though I'm only on roughly hour 36 with no alcohol the best thing that has happened so far was waking up this morning and not having a hangover. I felt amazed, happy, clear minded and most of all I FELT HUMAN AGAIN and I loved it.

Will temptation arise? I have no doubt. I will say though the wife had to work today so she went to bed as soon as we got home while i ran an errand and had all night to myself and I had no desire to have one. She has been gone all day and again no desire and lets be honest before this being off on a Sat, wide at work and LSU playing yea I'd be cracking them up left and right.

My only downside for today was ever place I need to call were all closed so I have to wait till Monday and the last Lithium pill I took. 15 mins after I took it I was like yup nap time. But I have to admit that it was one kick arse nap. Now I will admit the real test will be when i return to work. That damn place is 90% of the stress in my life.

That's good to hear. I'm glad that you noticed your issue and took action. Only good will come from it. I was lucky that I never got the shakes with all the drinking I've done. And I still drink the same amount but just not as often.

Good luck man. Like someone else said they were doing I'm currently taking a break from the booze myself for the month of October, whether it continues passed that or not I'm not sure but the plan is until Halloween if I have something to do and if not then sometime after that. I've been fortunate in that I've never had the shakes or anything like that so far in my life but I still decided to do the break because I felt like even though I only drink once a week for the most part (which is a "rule" I consciously decided to implement about a year or so ago, bar the occasional glass of wine, beer, whiskey with or after dinner, which is and was never an every night thing because whilst I do like alcohol I like good food WAY more); it became a situation where I would take full advantage of that once a week and be at it all night. I figure, for me anyway, it's one thing to do that occasionally (even if it's still not good or ideal) but it's wholly different for that to be the normal standard for a night out whether it's only once a week or even once a month for that matter so let's take a step back here and see what happens. Also I only smoke when I drink (this "rule" started about 5-6 months ago) so I figure maybe I can just kick that altogether if I lay off the sauce for while.

Both of my parents have/have had addiction issues in the past and I'm definitely not trying to go down that road. I'm glad to see that you've decided to take your own path as well and I truly believe it'll work out for you. Best wishes.

That's good to hear. I'm glad that you noticed your issue and took action. Only good will come from it. I was lucky that I never got the shakes with all the drinking I've done. And I still drink the same amount but just not as often.
I'm more concerned with your onion soup addiction.

Well good news called my PCP this AM and shocking they are going to see me this afternoon. But the Outpatient treatment can't get me in for 2 more weeks. I'm assuming all the Redskins fans beat me to the punch. I'll likely be applying for FMLA today or tomorrow. I do have to say as much as my job drives me crazy the amount of support they have shown me has been incredible.

Well good news called my PCP this AM and shocking they are going to see me this afternoon. But the Outpatient treatment can't get me in for 2 more weeks. I'm assuming all the Redskins fans beat me to the punch. I'll likely be applying for FMLA today or tomorrow. I do have to say as much as my job drives me crazy the amount of support they have shown me has been incredible.
Take care and we're all rooting for you.

Outpatient never worked for me, but I wish you the best and hope it works for you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom