We're all thinking it, but no one wants to say it:This team is reminiscent of 2002 (1 Viewer)

We lost a shoot-out with Pittsburgh.
Down by 14, came back to take the lead, and then killed ourselves with turnovers.
38-31.

No, this team is not reminiscent of 2002. In 2002, the final score would have been 38-10, Pitt, and it would not have been that close.
Some of you guys are still living in the past, and refuse to let go of the old Saints teams. While this team still has a lot to learn, and holes need to be filled, they didn't get to 6-3 on luck, fluke, or by playing the worst teams in the league. Smart coaching, solid execution, and a positive attitude through adversity is what got this team where they are now.
I think some of you were expecting 16-0 after the first three games. :dunno:

First off, I am thrilled with the team we have. I love it and all the new changes. However, for everyone who keeps saying we would have given up and folded after going down 14-0, you all obviously don't remember the Bears game at Chicago in week 3 (?). We were down 21-0, and they were a powerhouse coming off a 13-3 season in 2001. Yes we did come back to beat them in their house, with Donte lighting it up and Brooks juking Urlacher for a touchdown. Yes, I was disgusted with how things played out here with Has and Brooks last year. But, admit it we were amazing for the 1st half of the year. Defense gave up huge yards but MADE PLAYS. Also our running game was lightyears ahead of this years. I think our character is much better, and Brees is a better leader, but I admit i have made COMPARISONS to that team. We'er not saying this is the same team as 02, same ol saints, squirrel type stuff. We're just making comparisons to explosive offense, and weak defense, shootout type games. I will admit however, our defense was consistently worse in 02 in giving up big yardage, but they got more turnovers (ken irvin pick to beat the 493rs at home) This year our D seems to be able to stop the run and pass, then give up huge plays. I think our defense can be alot better than 02's if we start getting turnovers. Whoever started this post should not be considered a squirrel. BTW after we stack Defense in the offseason/draft we will be much better than 06 & 02 combined.

Not knocking Blake, he was a HUGE improvement at QB compared to the Billy Joes. A very solid QB who made things happen in a year when we needed that. But he was not a Drew Brees, IMHO.

Kooldak, you forgot to add in Heath Shuler and Danny Wuerful to the Ditka Era - Both nice guys, but neither belonged under center in the NFL. Mike Ditka gave us 3 very forgettable years. :hookline:

Last edited:
Just to build on this - through the first 9 games Blakes stats were:

148 of 248 for 1524 yds, 60% comp, 9 TDs, 8 Ints (stats from pro-football-reference.com)

In contrast Brees so far in 2006 (also 9 games) -

217 of 331 for 2604 yds, 66% comp, 15 TDs, 7 Ints (stats from nfl.com)

Big difference. Not knocking Blake, he was a HUGE improvement at QB compared to the Billy Joes. A very solid QB who made things happen in a year when we needed that. But he was not a Drew Brees, IMHO.

...Yeah, but see, I'm not talking purely about numbers- Big numbers are fine and dandy, but I'm mainly talking about the fact that Blake had us on, like, a nine game winning streak that year and the Saints were the toast of the town. Sure, there was no Katrina to magnify the accomplishments of the team like this year, but it just amazes me how short people's memories are.......

Some guys lost momentum and focus, yup. no doubt. The Saints are matching up physically but they are up there in that "mental match up" level now separating wins/loss.

...Yeah, but see, I'm not talking purely about numbers- Big numbers are fine and dandy, but I'm mainly talking about the fact that Blake had us on, like, a nine game winning streak that year and the Saints were the toast of the town. Sure, there was no Katrina to magnify the accomplishments of the team like this year, but it just amazes me how short people's memories are.......

I believe people's memories were short on Jeff, Saint El lay, because quite frankly, Jeff's career with us was shortened that year by his injury.

What made Jeff more of an after thought in 2000 was that this second year QB named AB became the talk of the NFL as he quarterbacked the Saints to their first playoff win.... That's why most folks don't remember Jeff's accomplishments in 2000.

By the way, it was six wins in a row, not 9.

We will only lose one more game. Book it. (unless we win out all)

You heard it here, I'll gladly remind everyone of this later.

High powered Offense and lackluster Defense. Here are some numbers for comparison:

Record
2002: 7 - 2
2006: 6 - 3

Passing TD's/Int's
2002: 19 / 9
2006: 15 / 7

Defense: Yardage/Rush
2002: 4.54* (this was the average at the end of the season)
2006: 5.00 (through 9 games)

My great concern is this team's defense will leave us hanging out to dry down the stretch. Only time will tell and before the season started I had them at 7 - 2 and finishing 10 - 6. They'll have to win the rest of their home games down the stretch to go 10 - 6. The D will have to tighten up and the turnovers will have to be greatly reduced to finish with a better than .500 average.

whatever.............

i have never once compared this team to the 02 saints...we are in much better hands now

I keep hearing a lot of folks saying that this defense is terrible (little defensive support). Don't get me wrong - There is definitely room for improvement on our D, but to say we are where we are simply based on Drew, is not true.

He's a large part of it - I think he's the best thing to happen to us since slice bread, but through the first eight games, this D was ranked in the top 10. How soon we forget.

You make some good points, and perhaps my tone was a little too dismissive of the Saints defense this year. I agree that they've played solid football. I also think that the Saints O has been a big reason for the improved defensive performance. Case in point: we lead the league in drives of 10 plays or more. That's HUGE. It's very hard to play bad defense when you're on the sidelines eating popcorn and watching your offense stuff the ball down the other team's throat. On the flipside, we're tied for last in defensive takeaways.

Blake's situation was much different. He had a defense that ranked no worse than #3 overall (top 10 in takeaways) in all of his starts. He also benefitted from Ricky Williams' streak of 5 or 6 straight games of over 100 yards rushing.

Blake was always a shaky QB, an Aaron Brooks Lite without the eye-popping physical measurables. When he had the support of a stout defense and running game to balance out his erratic play, as he did with us in 2000, he did a decent job. Every other place (Cincy, Baltimore, Arizona) he was a .500 QB at best, a flop at worst. He and Brees are two different breeds of QB.

2002 = Haslett's team

2006 = Payton's team

Whew!

I feel better now. :shy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom