We're all thinking it, but no one wants to say it:This team is reminiscent of 2002 (1 Viewer)

I also think that the Saints O has been a big reason for the improved defensive performance. Case in point: we lead the league in drives of 10 plays or more. That's HUGE. It's very hard to play bad defense when you're on the sidelines eating popcorn and watching your offense stuff the ball down the other team's throat. On the flipside, we're tied for last in defensive takeaways.

Blake's situation was much different. He had a defense that ranked no worse than #3 overall (top 10 in takeaways) in all of his starts. He also benefitted from Ricky Williams' streak of 5 or 6 straight games of over 100 yards rushing.

Blake was always a shaky QB, an Aaron Brooks Lite without the eye-popping physical measurables. When he had the support of a stout defense and running game to balance out his erratic play, as he did with us in 2000, he did a decent job. Every other place (Cincy, Baltimore, Arizona) he was a .500 QB at best, a flop at worst. He and Brees are two different breeds of QB.

Very perceptive, DMaestro... :bier:​

Note: Cincy is a good illustration. By the time he got to B'Mor and Az (after his injury), he was never as efficient as he was here in 2000. His injury, though healed, followed him (he was never as mobile again), and I don't think he ever recovered mentally from Haz's actions in the 2001 camp QB derby between him and Brooks.

I haven't thought "it" at all. This team would absolutely DESTROY that team from '02

There is no way you can say that unless you are talking about the AB too hurt to play version of the team. They led the NFC in scoring offense (not because they were being blown out, because they had to to win).

2002 Saints Points Scored

26 at Tampa
35 vs Green Bay
29 at Chicago
21 At Detroit
32 vs Pittsburg
43 at Washington
35 San Francisco
35 vs Atlanta
34 at Carolina
17 at Atlanta
15 vs Cleveland
23 vs Tampa Bay

Brooks hurt

37 at Baltimore
31 vs. Minnesota
13 at Cincinnati
06 vs. Carolina

The pre AB injury 2002 Saints vs. the 2006 Saints would be similar to this past weeks game between the Saints and Pittsburg or the Cincy vs. San Diego game.
2002 Saints D can't stop 2006 Saints O
2006 Saints D can't stop 2002 Saints O
So it would either be whoever has the ball last wins or whoever turns the ball over in crucial situations will lose. Toss Up.

High powered Offense and lackluster Defense. Here are some numbers for comparison:

Record
2002: 7 - 2
2006: 6 - 3

Passing TD's/Int's
2002: 19 / 9
2006: 15 / 7

Defense: Yardage/Rush
2002: 4.54* (this was the average at the end of the season)
2006: 5.00 (through 9 games)

My great concern is this team's defense will leave us hanging out to dry down the stretch. Only time will tell and before the season started I had them at 7 - 2 and finishing 10 - 6. They'll have to win the rest of their home games down the stretch to go 10 - 6. The D will have to tighten up and the turnovers will have to be greatly reduced to finish with a better than .500 average.

try comparing it to the 2000 saints.

It wasn't the D that hung us out to dry in 2002.
As already noted in the thread, the offensive scoring dried up. Through the first 9 games we averaged 34.5 and were 7-2. The last 7 games the O averaged 17.25 and we went 2-5.

I see our O getting better and better this year. I don't see a regression coming. If anything it seems Payton is starting to get more weapons involved and I think Bush will be a bigger game-breaker with each passing week.

Also, unlike the previous staff, this one will work tirelessly to improve the D up to and including replacing established players who aren't getting it done.

I posted this in another thread, but...

Fast start.

Cooling off in 2nd half of season.

Disappointing loss to Bengals.

Too many points given up by D.

(And I'll add) Too many turnovers.

AND...

The season finale against the Panthers in the Dome may be for a playoff spot.

Just to build on this - through the first 9 games Blakes stats were:

148 of 248 for 1524 yds, 60% comp, 9 TDs, 8 Ints (stats from pro-football-reference.com)

In contrast Brees so far in 2006 (also 9 games) -

217 of 331 for 2604 yds, 66% comp, 15 TDs, 7 Ints (stats from nfl.com)

Big difference. Not knocking Blake, he was a HUGE improvement at QB compared to the Billy Joes. A very solid QB who made things happen in a year when we needed that. But he was not a Drew Brees, IMHO.

Different offensive philosophies.

In 2000 Ricky Williams was, like it or not, our lifeblood. We ran to set up the pass.

Lord Payton kills the run the second the other team has more points than us. We pass to set up more passing, then run to say "well, we didn't call all passes."

High powered Offense and lackluster Defense. Here are some numbers for comparison:

Record
2002: 7 - 2
2006: 6 - 3

Passing TD's/Int's
2002: 19 / 9
2006: 15 / 7

2006: 5.00 (through 9 games)

My great concern is this team's defense will leave us hanging out to dry down the stretch. Only time will tell and before the season started I had them at 7 - 2 and finishing 10 - 6. They'll have to win the rest of their home games down the stretch to go 10 - 6. The D will have to tighten up and the turnovers will have to be greatly reduced to finish with a better than .500 average.

hmm, different kind of teams, but perhaps the same results? Let's hope not.

Updated for 10 Games:

Record
2002: 7 - 3
2006: 6 - 4

Passing TD's/Int's
2002: 21 / 10
2006: 19 / 10

2006: 4.8 (through 10 games)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom