We're better with Davison out of the lineup (1 Viewer)

Sumdude34

All-Pro
Reaction score
I certainly don't mean to celebrate a person's injury at all. I hope he heals up.

But, it's no coincidence how much better we have been against the run these last 2 games. I've watched Davison get pushed 2-5 yards backwards his entire career, and it was a big part of our week 1 loss. Both Stallworth and Bromley have looked better than him. The key: they don't move backwards. They dont get huge push or have a fierce pass rush, but they don't get moved backwards and it opens the lanes for the LBs and let's them actually shoot gaps.

This is equivalent to when we took Harris out of the lineup after week 2 last year and instantly got better against the pass. It was addition by subtraction. So is this situation.

I bring this up because he is supposed to be back from injury this week, and I'm afraid that he will come back and start. Based on these last 2 games, he has lost his spot on the depth chart. We are better with these other 2 guys playing the run. They aren't stars, but they arent huge liabilities, either

Not true at all. Davison is a contributor a lunch pale type...this defense has played like they showed at times and better with Davison in the rotation with Rankin's and David O.

Not true at all. Davison is a contributor a lunch pale type...this defense has played like they showed at times and better with Davison in the rotation with Rankin's and David O.

Well I dont mean totally out of the rotation. Maybe I worded that wrong. But I dont feel like he should be our go-to starting NT. I think the other guys have earned the reps over him at this point.

I don’t think Davidson is a great NT. He has the wrong build with a big upper body but smaller base. Stallworth is a NT and Bromley is just a super large man who can just squat and anchor. I think Davidson is a good DT backup but should not be starting. He’s another try hard guy without elite measurables. That can only take you so far until the injuries mount. He’s had a shoulder sling applied and foot injury. If he takes starter snaps and double teams he will go down again. Watch his reps and use him sparingly down the stretch.

Davison has played really great for us in the past. NT really is a thankless position.

Agreed. I mean really what is Davison? Not athletic enough for 3T, not stout enough for 1T. Not stout or long enough for 5T. He's a decent backup @ best. I think he benefited from playing between Jordan & Rankin's last season

I don't know how they're gonna handle Davison's return but I don't see any reason why they'd take away a significant amount of snaps from Bromley or Stallworth. Sure we don't see the practices but c'mon.

I don't know how they're gonna handle Davison's return but I don't see any reason why they'd take away a significant amount of snaps from Bromley or Stallworth. Sure we don't see the practices but c'mon.

Agreed.
Please keep Bromley in there with Stallworth spelling him.

I don’t think Davidson is a great NT. He has the wrong build with a big upper body but smaller base. Stallworth is a NT and Bromley is just a super large man who can just squat and anchor. I think Davidson is a good DT backup but should not be starting. He’s another try hard guy without elite measurables. That can only take you so far until the injuries mount. He’s had a shoulder sling applied and foot injury. If he takes starter snaps and double teams he will go down again. Watch his reps and use him sparingly down the stretch.

Sometimes people just say things.

While I can certainly see how you came to that conclusion one must also be aware that the Saints stopped with that silly LB rotation they had going in Week 1. Could it be not the absence of Davison but more consistency at the LB position that's aided in run defense improving the last two weeks?

What about the fact that Tyler Davison compared favorably to Sed Ellis' combine numbers before saying he doesn't have elite measurables?

Davison - 40 yard dash/5.18
Sed Ellis - 40 yard dash/5.32 - Proday/5.05

Davison - Vertical/33inches
Ellis - Vertical/30

Davison - Bench/32reps
Ellis -Bench/34 reps - Proday/36 reps

Davison- Broad/8'09"
Ellis -Broad/8'09"

Davison - 20yd shuttle/4.46
Ellis - 20yd shuttle/4.73

Davison - 3Cone/7.53
Ellis - 3Cone/7.78

Davison beat Ellis on everything but 40time and Bench both of which Ellis improved on at his proday. One was a 1st round pick and the other a 5th round but athletically they were in the same stratosphere.

The rest I really can't say much on. Davison doesnt' play NT and his scouting report called him out for not having the "coke machine" type body that would allow him to play NT in an odd front so he was classified at a 1tech DT in a even/4-3 front only which is exactly what he's playing.

Singling his absence out as the sole reason the run defense improved and then making it seem like he was the sole reason it was bad in Week 1 is a bit of a reach

He reminds me of John Jenkins several years back. The draft report on him was that he was lazy, didn't give much effort and the guy never panned out, always seemed to lose position. He actually plays for the Giants these days. We've really not done well drafting big fellas in the CSP regime.

Not the sole reason but a reason nonetheless. U can say he'll look better with fewer snaps but till we see that, he's noticeably the 3rd best "NT"

I thought Bromley played really well. I admit though I’m going on the run D being good, and his stats. I did not key on him.
I never understood why we cut Bromley to begin with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom