We're in GOOD shape (1 Viewer)

We're not in good shape. We're capable of much more. Good shape is when your meeting your expectations. Wildcard, is below the expectation.

And having to play away games in the playoffs, in the cold of January, when were built as a dome heavy pass team, or playing an away game when the home team is 19-1 at home, is not in good shape.

Yeah, but who is the 1 loss against?

Don't forget that 4 of the last 5 games Atlanta plays are division opponents, which is always tough regardless of record. Their only road game is against Seatlle, who plays great at home and forces the Falcons to fly across the country. Another stat that usually works against the traveling team.

Look at how fortunate Atlanta has been, I can see them doing the same thing we did at the end of last season and lose more than 1 or 2.

(I hate you Atlanta)

The division will be tough to win. You have to hope Atl loses to an inferior team AND the Saints run the table. Atl has had a season's worth of breaks and are due for an unfortunate bounce and I do like the way the Saints are playing right now; but each one individually are unlikely, even more so collectively.

Good shape to make the playoffs, but not so good to be a statistical favorite to win the conference come playoff time via a bye and a home game or 2.

I think we are assuming a lot by thinking we will end up 13-3 again. It's possible but not probable. Ravens in BAL is going to be tough. Hell even Bengals in CIN might be a shoot out.

I think we are assuming a lot by thinking we will end up 13-3 again. It's possible but not probable. Ravens in BAL is going to be tough. Hell even Bengals in CIN might be a shoot out.

If I understand the tiebreakers correctly, we can afford to lose one of the AFC games as long as Atlanta drops one of its NFC games. But that's about as much wiggle room as we've got.

why does atlanta hold the tie breaker over us? if we beat them in the next game..

it would leave both of us with 3 losses..
1 in the division
1 to an nfc team
1 to an afc team

After head to head, and division record, the next tie-breaker is common opponent. We currently have 5 teams we have both played: Pitt, Az, SF, Cleve, and TB. We are 3-2, Atl is 4-1(only loss is Pitt). By the end of the season we will have 12 common opponents(another TB game, Cinci, Balt, SL, Car x2, and Seat)If we both win out and we beat Atl, we will end up being 10-2 and they would beat 11-1 vs common opponents.

the most important part of us finishing off this season is not losing.....if atlanta isnt going to lay over for another team then we have to make sure we do the same

winning out is the most important thing for us to do right now....if we do that we are guaranteed a spot

funny.....they say the NFC is a weak conference but when you look at the teams that are in the playoff hunt, the records are just as comparable to the AFC teams

im still disappointed in the NFC west for stinking it up and making the entire conference look bad tho

The division will be tough to win. You have to hope Atl loses to an inferior team AND the Saints run the table.

Not quite. If Atlanta loses to the Bucs or Carolina, in addition to the Saints, the Saints can afford to lose one to the Ravens, Bengals, or Rams and still win the division and get a home playoff game or HFA.

Not quite. If Atlanta loses to the Bucs or Carolina, in addition to the Saints, the Saints can afford to lose one to the Ravens, Bengals, or Rams and still win the division and get a home playoff game or HFA.

That's right, I stand corrected.

That makes this weekends game against the Bucs that much bigger.

You are correct -- we get back to the division tiebreaker being the first tiebreaker. Hadn't realized that before.

Go Bucks!

im cool with whatever. just making the playoffs after winning a superbowl seems to be quite a challenge these days. heck, then its not often that the #1 seed even makes the superbowl.

you can read more about that here and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8152fe3b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Ids love to have a bye and homefield advantage, but the most important thing is getting there, especially for a veteran team like we have.

No kidding. Our expectations before the season were, realistically, division title and a bye. HFA would have been nice, but I think most "base" expectations going into the playoffs were at least the #2 seed.

Clearly, barring the unforeseen, we're going to the playoffs. But as a #5? That's disappointing. I'm not "blaming" anyone, Atlanta is having a great season, **** happens. But we're not by any means in "great" shape to achieve what I would have considered perfectly reasonable expectations for the regular season.

We need help.

Well the good news is there are no dominant teams and we could evolve into one in the next 5 weeks...which would just mean we would just have beat everyone in their own house...and the first one thankfully will be an NFC West leader. Imagine beating Atlanta twice in their house....they would have to eat a LOT of humble pie with all that bragging on that team that struggles with every opponent.

im cool with whatever. just making the playoffs after winning a superbowl seems to be quite a challenge these days. heck, then its not often that the #1 seed even makes the superbowl.

you can read more about that here and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8152fe3b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Ids love to have a bye and homefield advantage, but the most important thing is getting there, especially for a veteran team like we have.

After adding in last years two #1 seeds that advanced to the Super Bowl, that makes 14 out of the last 20 teams (or 70%) that appeared in the Super Bowl held a bye in the first round. That's a pretty significant figure.

Put another way, if the Falcons beat the Bucs Sunday and assuming the Falcons win the remainder of their non-saints opponents in which they will be heavily favored thus winning them the division, the Saints odds of advancing to the Super Bowl with a Falcons win Sunday decreases roughly 40%. We need a Bucs win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom