Were Our Expectations Too High? (1 Viewer)

absolutely not!! they were too low. We are in a turnover slump but we all see that we are killing ourselves its definitely not from being dominated by the opposing team.

If the 49ers somehow get in and we don't...well it'd just be a cruel slap in the face by reality and fate again.

Again, did the Saints raise our expectations only to met with complete disappointment? I thought that the Saints would run the table but turnovers are doing them in.

The expectations were placed on this team by the fans. Payton has been very even keeled when discussing his expectations for this team. At no point has he talked about the Saints being a Super Bowl caliber team. I'm sure at 5-1, 6-2, playoff talk was a possibility, but his goals were to make the Saints a big part of the community in helping to rebuild New Orleans.
They were 3-13 last year. They are headed in the right direction, but they probably won't be a part of the playoffs this year.
They are exciting, competitive and fun to watch, but they still have aspects of the game to improve on as well as personell upgrades to make. Results such as the Playoffs and Superbowl aren't going to come in one season. We see improvements; this is a step in the right direction, but just a step, not a leap.

No.

I had us 6-10 or 7-9 with an 18 month honeymoon period for Coach Payton. :shrug: Drew Brees is better than my wildest expectations of him. But we're still several play-makers at key positions (TE, MLB, K, #3 WR, CB, etc.) away from making a run for the championship. People should be happy we're at where we are. Plus, we still have 5 of 6 games against potential playoff teams that we'll need to mostly win in order to actually reach the playoffs (Giants, Panthers, Falcons, 49ers, Dallas).

So our schedule is pretty tough the rest of the way down (maybe except Washington). Going 3-3 (which would be legit) puts us at 9-7. That record exceeds my pre-season expectations. But for everyone who had us doing better, the margin for error is getting ridiculously thin. We're going to have to go on a tear. And I think we can do that (proved week in and week out that we can move the ball on anyone) provided we eliminate our turnovers.

Coachable and correctable. But will it happen? :shrug:

TPS

Don't feel bad,You could be the Buccaneers and hanging by a shoe string!
3-7 and we are still,technically alive,thou just barely.
I hope,since we wont,the Saints win the South this year!

This team is just beginning to gel, so I'm not worried. They just have to protect the ball and stop giving up the big play. All things considered, where we are now is a lot better than the last few years. No contest.

No.

I had us 6-10 or 7-9 with an 18 month honeymoon period for Coach Payton. :shrug: Drew Brees is better than my wildest expectations of him. But we're still several play-makers at key positions (TE, MLB, K, #3 WR, CB, etc.) away from making a run for the championship. People should be happy we're at where we are. Plus, we still have 5 of 6 games against potential playoff teams that we'll need to mostly win in order to actually reach the playoffs (Giants, Panthers, Falcons, 49ers, Dallas).

So our schedule is pretty tough the rest of the way down (maybe except Washington). Going 3-3 (which would be legit) puts us at 9-7. That record exceeds my pre-season expectations. But for everyone who had us doing better, the margin for error is getting ridiculously thin. We're going to have to go on a tear. And I think we can do that (proved week in and week out that we can move the ball on anyone) provided we eliminate our turnovers.

Coachable and correctable. But will it happen? :shrug:

TPS

I guess you're right.

At the beginning of the season my expectations were just about where they are right now.

But (like a fool) I did raise my expectations due to the early season success and the lead that we once enjoyed in the division.

While the thud of falling to earth did hurt quite a bit, remembering where we came from and what we should reasonably expect from the new regime has made dealing with the recent slide much easier.

:banghead:

The AFC has freakin hammered us this season, but isn't this a microcosm of how the AFC just hammers the NFC year after year? It seems that the AFC teams have been faster, stronger, and better coached than NFC teams over the past few years, and IMO - the NFC is once again wallowing in mediocrity in 2006. There is not one NFC team that I view as a real cut above the rest. Sure, the Bears according to their record, but come on.

I think the exepectations rose after the Atlanta game. Many fans wer seriously thinking 16-0 - no joking involved, and even after the loss to Carolina, the expectations were lofty. I think the loss to the Ravens is what really brought folks back down to earth, as we got to see a lot of the things that need to be fixed on the team. The problems will not be corrected overnight, and basically, we are what we are and have to roll with it. We have to to battle with the guys on the squad, and that means Craft, Thomas, McKenzie, and the rest of the secondary. That means the LBs that we have, the WRs that we have , etc. etc . Who knows? I didn't predict a record in preseason, but I knew that we would be better than 3-13. I, too, am disappointed in yesterday's game... it was brutal sitting in the Dome during the 3rd & 4th quarters. Hopefully, we can get some things corrected starting Sunday against Atlanta. We'll see......

But (like a fool) I did raise my expectations due to the early season success and the lead that we once enjoyed in the division.
:

I don't think those expectations were too high either. We are the best team in the NFC South. We have the most talent. We should win the division. I believe this.

We're in a little slump right now but I don't think this is 2002 all over again. The problem is turnovers and with the exception of yesterday's game the turnovers have mostly been fumbles which are correctable.

I sat down and figured out the standings in the NFC and from my estimates if the playoffs started today we would be the top wild card team. Also we basically control our own destiny. If my standings were correct if we win the rest of our games would win the division and get at least the second seed.

We just need to get out of our slump. The good thing is that because of our good start to the season we didn't lose that much ground in the playoff race. Now we just need to get on another roll and I think we will. I'm an optimist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom