Werner’s hit on Atlanta player (1 Viewer)

It wasn’t a BS call. The ref said that Werner threw the player to the ground. Just because that sounds like the definition of the word “tackle” doesn’t mean that it’s BS!
Then you need to watch the Chargers-Chiefs game. Body slammed no flag!

I don't get it. The whistle hadn't blown and the player was fighting for yardage. What was Werner supposed to do? Just hold him and hope for the best? No, you finish the play. You get the man to the ground however you can within the rules. That was just a tackle. Lol man this new NFL is something else.

There was no hit to the head, and this was no "defenseless receiver".
Only thing that can possibly come to mind is a "use of body leverage" to make the tackle and slam the ATL player to the ground, but he didn't use leverage. Clean tackle.

BTW - Werner's 12 tackles in the game are the most since..... Dannell Ellerbe tackled 13 ATL players in 2015.
Blessed to see another day

Then you need to watch the Chargers-Chiefs game. Body slammed no flag!
Agreed. For those who haven't seen the body slam of Kelce, just google "Kelce body slam" and it pops up with numerous articles and videos detailing the WWE move for which the refs didn't call a penalty.

Ridiculous that they'd flag Werner for a clean tackle but let Kelce get lifted and slammed.

It's really frustrating because I feel like I don't even know what the rules are anymore. There are just so many that are subjective calls with selective enforcement that it really ruins a lot of the game for me.

For me, it really has become just like watching wrestling when calls or no-calls like that happen.

It will stay that way for me until they at least have full-time refs, usage of electronics in the football for yardage/scoring/progress purposes, sync'ed up multiple camera angles for reviews, and transparency of the reviews. Those would all be well-received by fans and improve the game, so there's no reason for them holding off on implementing these other than to allow them to put their thumbs on the scale for games and what calls they're emphasizing as the season goes on to maximize matchups -> drama -> profit.

This past Sunday, I followed the game on the radio until the middle of the third quarter. I never saw the Werner penalty tackle until just now.

That's kind of insane. Not even a little bit close to penalty, not right up to the line, nothing like that. No way the Saints' defensive staff gives Werner anything but atta-boys during film review.

Didn't see anything flagrant, but guess it was the hip toss takedown as Gordon Solie would would have called it.

They said it was for the take down.
Who is "they" and when did they say it? For some reason I thought I heard it was for illegal contact to the helmet area. Perhaps I am imagining things.

The manner in which Werner took the ball carrier to the ground was absolutely legal.

Who is "they" and when did they say it? For some reason I thought I heard it was for illegal contact to the helmet area. Perhaps I am imagining things.

The manner in which Werner took the ball carrier to the ground was absolutely legal.
I thought the announcers said it but they could've been speculating.

I think that was initial Vilma speculation
I think the call was unnecessary roughness- not targeting or defenseless player
(It bears noting that Werner was trying to prevent a first down)

BS call.
Werner did what he had to do to stop the RB.
He didn’t body slam him, he turned him and tackled him. So sorry the RB fell down.
The NFL has gone soft.
IMO, it's more likely the refs are looking to cheat the Saints and will take every opportunity to help their opponents

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom