West powers learning a lesson the hard way -- don't mess with Hornets (1 Viewer)

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The Rockets won 22 in a row. The Spurs are the defending champs. The Lakers trade for Pau Gasol and are still seen as the West's most talented team. Those three have been the most talked-about teams in the West for the past month, and not without reason.

However, each now has something else in common: In the past week, they all lost to the Hornets.

Much of the focus this season has been on the three teams above, as well as the Mavericks' and Suns' new superstar acquisitions. But one can't help noticing that it says "New Orleans" at the top of the Western Conference standings after the Hornets' 90-69 win over Houston on Wednesday pulled them into a tie with L.A. for the West's best record.

And for this one, perhaps they can thank Rafer Alston. Houston's point guard made some comments about New Orleans forward David West during TNT's broadcast of the Rockets-Celtics game on Tuesday night while defending the perception that his team had been feasting on injured opponents. Let's just say the Hornets noticed.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=hornets-080320

Chris Paul, who again was calmly magnificent with 21 points, 10 assists and five steals, had even more to say on that front.

"Tracy McGrady is a great player. If I was Rafer Alston, I'd probably ride his coattails too."

Ouch.

"I feel like you can make a statement with the way you play. But some guys like Rafer Alston like to run their mouth … that just added fuel to our fire tonight. D-West, that's my guy. For him to say he's not a star, I mean let's see what All-Star Game [Alston]'s played in."

Oof.

"He had a tough time out there trying to stay in front of me, and that was the plan."

Please, Hammer, don't …

"When you got somebody like Rafer Alston, who thinks they're a lot better than they really are, you gotta test them."

Yikes.

Wow...

rating_5.gif
to CP for saying that. Put Rafer in his place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom