Westhoff believes that Taysom Hill will be the Saints’ starting quarterback (1 Viewer)

You're right - saying that Taysom Hill is better than LITERALLY THE BEST PLAYER IN FOOTBALL is a totally reasonable take and Joe Westhoff, a special teams coach, is a brilliant quarterback talent evaluator.

His name is Mike. Mike Westhoff. If you are going to criticize, at least do your research properly.

Do we want Taysom to be a starter because we want a Lamar type QB? or because we think its the best option moving forward?

I do not like the Lamar type QB at all.....

Of course he's just some guy with an opinion. That's an idiotic thing to say. You and he should be embarrassed for even entertaining the notion that Taysom Hill is even in the same stratosphere of player as Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson is the reigning NFL MVP and won a Heisman trophy. His completion percentage in his first year as a starter at the professional level is six points higher than Taysom Hill's senior year in college.

This is beyond stupid. Lamar Jackson is a better passer than Hill ever was or will be by miles and miles and miles. This thread is embarrassing.
Dude what is your problem? You could make the same points without being antagonistic and insulting. But it seems like that's your thing. It's called being a jerk.

When Brees does retire, though, Westhoff believes that Taysom Hill will be the Saints’ starting quarterback.

“I think he absolutely can be,” Westhoff said. “I think he can be. Take a look at Baltimore. He’s the same kind of guy. Taysom Hill does those same things. I think he throws better [than Lamar Jackson]. That’s the kind of football player he is. He was a very good quarterback at Brigham Young.”

Hill, 29, had seven touchdowns (six receiving, one rushing) this season. He threw for 50 yards, ran for 50 yards and had a 20-yard receiving touchdown in the Saints 26-20 Wild Card loss to the Vikings.

“I think he’ll be a heck of a quarterback, and I think you’ll see an offense that’s similar to Baltimore that can do a lot of different things,” Westhoff said. “Sean Payton is an extremely qualified coach, and he’s very, very creative. Sean Payton is a good coach.”

Where does that leave 27-year-old Teddy Bridgewater, you ask? Likely somewhere else.

Pretty simplistic comparisons by Westhoff, IMO. Reminds me of talking about draft prospects and comparing measurables of greats with rookies and expecting similar results. Lamar Jackson and Taysom Hill are both QBs and both very fast. That's about it. Jackson can make people miss and has a knack of avoiding big, direct hits (similar to C MacCaffrey). And I haven't seen anything that makes me think that Taysom is a better passer than Jackson.

I love Taysom and what he brings to the team. As a QB, I'm still very skeptical. Haven't seen him go through read progressions. Doesn't have the best instincts in the RPO (when to keep and when to handoff). Haven't seen enough of him as a QB to determine if his arm is consistent. My guess is Brees will be back next year. Bridgewater will be picked up by another team and we will draft a QB or grab a middling free agent like we had in Chase, Teddy or McCown.

And I haven't seen anything that makes me think that Taysom is a better passer than Jackson.

Well Westhoff had his time with the Saints to see a lot more of him that you along with knowing the inside track feeling among the coaching staff.

Maybe if you have been at every open and closed practice and in the coaching staff meetings you'd have a similar simplistic view of Taysom. I'm teasing but Mike WestHoff has a a lot more first hand insight than we do.

Yes, a person who thinks that a guy who never threw for more than 3,000 yards in college, went undrafted and has never started an NFL game is a valid comparison to a Heisman winning QB and NFL MVP is definitely someone we should take seriously enough to start a new thread about.

Good thinking Spylake. This is definitely a thread that's bound to create new conversation that hasn't taken place in numerous other threads. You've really added value to the board. Please keep the quality content coming.
Lamar Jackson literally looked like a skinny kid out there.
While I don't wish it on him but one good hit is all it's going to take

LC - time to get over 2013 don't you think ? I'm sure you remember it well, when Taysom singlehandedly made your beloved Long Horns look like South Austin High. Let it go already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom