Westhoff believes that Taysom Hill will be the Saints’ starting quarterback (1 Viewer)

Spylake

Banned
Reaction score
When Brees does retire, though, Westhoff believes that Taysom Hill will be the Saints’ starting quarterback.

“I think he absolutely can be,” Westhoff said. “I think he can be. Take a look at Baltimore. He’s the same kind of guy. Taysom Hill does those same things. I think he throws better [than Lamar Jackson]. That’s the kind of football player he is. He was a very good quarterback at Brigham Young.”

Hill, 29, had seven touchdowns (six receiving, one rushing) this season. He threw for 50 yards, ran for 50 yards and had a 20-yard receiving touchdown in the Saints 26-20 Wild Card loss to the Vikings.

“I think he’ll be a heck of a quarterback, and I think you’ll see an offense that’s similar to Baltimore that can do a lot of different things,” Westhoff said. “Sean Payton is an extremely qualified coach, and he’s very, very creative. Sean Payton is a good coach.”

Where does that leave 27-year-old Teddy Bridgewater, you ask? Likely somewhere else.

Yes, a person who thinks that a guy who never threw for more than 3,000 yards in college, went undrafted and has never started an NFL game is a valid comparison to a Heisman winning QB and NFL MVP is definitely someone we should take seriously enough to start a new thread about.

Good thinking Spylake. This is definitely a thread that's bound to create new conversation that hasn't taken place in numerous other threads. You've really added value to the board. Please keep the quality content coming.

I'd say that there is probably about a 40% chance. I think that there is a decent chance that the Saints just want to keep him his current role. Brees will likely be around next year. The Saints could also draft a QB, because they'll probably need another QB if Taysom is heavily utilized in other roles. There's also the chance that the Saints have a regimen change in the next few years that aren't as open minded about a running QB.

Yes, a person who thinks that a guy who never threw for more than 3,000 yards in college, went undrafted and has never started an NFL game is a valid comparison to a Heisman winning QB and NFL MVP is definitely someone we should take seriously enough to start a new thread about.

Good thinking Spylake.

He's not Lamar Jackson. But he could be Josh Allen or Cam Newton. That might be enough. Taysom Hill was a really good college QB, but he just had a series of injuries...otherwise, I'd bet that he would have been more highly regarded as a prospect and he'd have better statistics.

I agree that Bridgewater will probably not be here next year. That's only because I'd be really surprised if Brees isn't back...and you can't spent $20 million on two QBs. I think that Teddy will get his chance somewhere next season, and Taysom is a much more affordable (and value) option with Brees at QB in 2020.

He's not Lamar Jackson. But he could be Josh Allen or Cam Newton. That might be enough. Taysom Hill was a really good college QB, but he just had a series of injuries...otherwise, I'd bet that he would have been more highly regarded as a prospect and he'd have better statistics.

I agree that Bridgewater will probably not be here next year. That's only because I'd be really surprised if Brees isn't back...and you can't spent $20 million on two QBs. I think that Teddy will get his chance somewhere next season, and Taysom is a much more affordable (and value) option with Brees at QB in 2020.

Is Westhoff just some guy with an opinion? Was he wrong when he said " I think he throws better [than Lamar Jackson]. "

He was one in a long, long list of one-read and run scrambling QBs who lack the football IQ to read a defense and work progressions.

Josh Allen, Cam Newton, and especially Lamar Jackson are much, much more than that.

You're giving Josh Allen way too much credit. We don't know where Taysom Hill is at as a QB right now. Payton seems to like him...so I'm not ready to say that he's a one read QB who lacks football IQ quite yet.

Is Westhoff just some guy with an opinion? Was he wrong when he said " I think he throws better [than Lamar Jackson]. "

Taysom probably has a stronger arm. But Jackson has demonstrated pretty good accuracy and touch. We have no idea what Taysom could do as a passer other than hurl the ball downfield on pretty simple plays. But there is no denying that his ability to run and his arm strength opens up the offense. If you took away Lamar Jackson's running ability, I'm still not convinced that he's an NFL QB...but like Taysom, you can't discard his running ability and how much it opens up the rest of his game.

You're giving Josh Allen way too much credit. We don't know where Taysom Hill is at as a QB right now. Payton seems to like him...so I'm not ready to say that he's a one read QB who lacks football IQ quite yet.

I mean I don't think Josh Allen is good, so I'm not giving him much credit. Was just saying that he did throw for 3k yards in college.

My impression of Taysom is basically because in his actual QB run in preseason, he looks like the same guy that scrambled all over the field against Texas twice, which is a running QB that's given a simplified offense with a decision tree that looks like (First Read) -> (Possible check to RB) -> (Run).

He threw about 30 completions this preseason that I could find. Of those 30 completions, once - once - he hit his second read. I realize that he makes flash plays which are exciting and leads to wanting to project optimism onto him. But if you watch him, really watch him, when he gets to actually play QB, you'll see that he's essentially the same player.

I just don't see any reason to believe that at 29 years old, he's going to change from the same player he's been since 2012 when he arrived at BYU. Legitimate question - what have you seen that leads you to believe that he has what it takes to run a full NFL offense? We know Drew can, we know Teddy can. All we've seen from Taysom is some wildcat plays and some underthrown trick plays.

Now if you want to say that Payton might simplify an offense down to a 1 read passing game with RPO components, then that might be something. But I don't see that happening because I suspect Sean, like me, believes that's not a winning offense in today's NFL.

Of course he's just some guy with an opinion. That's an idiotic thing to say. You and he should be embarrassed for even entertaining the notion that Taysom Hill is even in the same stratosphere of player as Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson is the reigning NFL MVP and won a Heisman trophy. His completion percentage in his first year as a starter at the professional level is six points higher than Taysom Hill's senior year in college.

This is beyond stupid. Lamar Jackson is a better passer than Hill ever was or will be by miles and miles and miles. This thread is embarrassing.

while I agree with you that the jury is out on what Taysom is capable in a full capacity role at QB, I think that all of your reasoning is extremely short sited. There are far far too many examples where the college skins on the wall were no indicator of what kind of pro QB they will be.

The injuries are what worry me. He starts getting the ball full time with the way he runs...he may not last long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom