What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (1 Viewer)

That was the 1963 AFL All-Star game where most of the African-American players from the AFL teams weren't allowed to ride in taxis, to eat or drink at local New Orleans restaurants or bars, in fact when a few black AFL All-Stars tried to force the proprietors to serve them, a few of the bouncers, bartenders pointed guns at them and told them to get out and leave otherwise they'd be shot.
So when the black AFL All-Stars arrived back at the hotel, they called a meeting and discussed and then voted on boycotting the All-Star game in New Orleans. All but 2 or 3 players voted against it and the game itself was moved to Houston.
1963 was an interesting year in race relations as regards football. The University of Maryland had just recruited the ACC's first black player, Darryl Hill. When Maryland played on Tobacco Road, Mr. Hill faced verbal and physical abuse. Among the worst venues was Winston Salem. The Wake Forest fans were heaping abuse on Hill, until Brian Piccolo intervened. Piccolo, a Heisman hopeful walked over to the Maryland bench, put his arm around Hill's shoulder and walked him over to the student section. The crowd fell silent as Piccolo told Hill "you're the bravest man here today" Brian Piccolo was a great football player, but he was an even better man.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Saints Trivia: the Saints went over three years without being .500 2014-2016, and would not achieve .500 until week 6 of the 2017 season :covri:

Aaron Brooks was the first NFL player to throw for 400 yards in a game and rush for 100 the following week.

And the two teams he did that against, the Broncos and niners, played in SB XXIV in the Superdome.

That was 1983. We won our last game in 1978 to finish 7-9. I remember the game you're speaking of quite well. That individual game was indeed extremely brutal, but it was one game. The end of 2002 was that same feeling stretched out over 3 @$@ing weeks.

Call me crazy, but the 2002 collapse didn't bother me in a heartbreaking way so much as it was just a 3-week long groan of "Ah sheet. Typical Saints." We'd already seen the writing on the wall from losing the last 4 games the previous season during the debacle of the divided locker room when Joe Horn had supposedly nailed Willie Roaf's wife and we'd already dropped 3 of our last 6 games after starting 6-1. The season was shaping up almost exactly like 1993 when we followed up a 5-0 start with a 3-8 finish to go 8-8.

• 1Like
Reactions: 327
Mine was 1983 when we gave up a 4th and forever against the Rams in the last game of the season. Lansford kicks the game winner with no time left.
I have always maintained that was the loudest I have ever heard the Dome. 8-7. 2 minutes from our first ever winning season and a playoff game. 2 minutes left. The Dome Patrol. The players on the bench waving towels and the Dome was absolutely insane. Then Lansford breaks our heart and the Dome goes deafly quiet for maybe a minute. Then like the movies we started clapping. Not cheering. Just clapping. The best season ever to that point

And the two teams he did that against, the Broncos and niners, played in SB XXIV in the Superdome.

Call me crazy, but the 2002 collapse didn't bother me in a heartbreaking way so much as it was just a 3-week long groan of "Ah sheet. Typical Saints." We'd already seen the writing on the wall from losing the last 4 games the previous season during the debacle of the divided locker room when Joe Horn had supposedly nailed Willie Roaf's wife and we'd already dropped 3 of our last 6 games after starting 6-1. The season was shaping up almost exactly like 1993 when we followed up a 5-0 start with a 3-8 finish to go 8-8.

Obscure fact, it was Joe Johnson not Joe Horn.

I have always maintained that was the loudest I have ever heard the Dome. 8-7. 2 minutes from our first ever winning season and a playoff game. 2 minutes left. The Dome Patrol. The players on the bench waving towels and the Dome was absolutely insane. Then Lansford breaks our heart and the Dome goes deafly quiet for maybe a minute. Then like the movies we started clapping. Not cheering. Just clapping. The best season ever to that point

Watched it as an eight-year-old kid at my grandparents house in Marrero, whole family there. If Bum lets Morten attempt (and probably make) a 47-yard field goal on the final offensive possession, we win the game. It's that simple.

But looking back on '83 as an adult, there were two other games that season that blown in similar fashion. They blew a first-half lead in the road game vs. the Rams early in the season. And in a less-remembered gut-buster, Snake gave up a safety up by a point with about a minute to play on the road in Dallas when he couldn't get out of the way of a blitzing linebacker. Up by a point, then lost by a point -- in the blink of an eye. Six of the eight losses in '83 were by seven points or less. Only team to truly whip the Saints that year was Bill Walsh's 49ers.

From 1987-1992, the Saints went 62-33 as a member of the NFC West.

During that time, the Saints won the NFC West only 1 time.

Remember that fact when someone asks how much it sucked to be in the same division as a dynasty 49ers team.

The Everette led Rams had some great years in that span, also..

Watched it as an eight-year-old kid at my grandparents house in Marrero, whole family there. If Bum lets Morten attempt (and probably make) a 47-yard field goal on the final offensive possession, we win the game. It's that simple.

But looking back on '83 as an adult, there were two other games that season that blown in similar fashion. They blew a first-half lead in the road game vs. the Rams early in the season. And in a less-remembered gut-buster, Snake gave up a safety up by a point on the road in Dallas when he couldn't get out of the way of a blitzing linebacker. Up by a point, then lost by a point -- in the blink of an eye. Six of the eight losses in '83 were by seven points or less. Only team to truly whip the Saints that year was Bill Walsh's 49ers.
Yep agree on Bum and Morten...

I was at that Dallas game and if memory serves there was a Presidential Debate that night.. thus the game started late and for awhile we said we were the only team to ever LOSE a game on Monday morning...lol

Losing on a game-ending 2 pointer where the QB kicked the ball around the backfield for a few seconds before stumbling into the endzone followed by us losing to a 1-win Bengals team was just ghastly to me, even though I'd seen my share of Saints heartbreak by that time (old enough to remember seasons in the Bum Phillips era).

The 04 team missing out on the playoffs b/c the Rams beat the Jets in OT in a weird, fluky game? That didn't bother me as much b/c by then I thought the Haslett Saints had clearly shown us who they were. In 02...yeah, we had 01 to look at, but we also had 00. For me, the jury was still out, especially when we got to a 9-4 start (7-5 at that point in 01).

Sean Payton is basically a .500 coach without Greg Williams or Dennis Allen as defensive coordinators. He is 50-46 with Gibbs and Ryan. The Saints never had a losing record with Greg as coordinator 2 13-3 seasons and 1 11-5 season. Allen’s first full season was the last 7-9 season. He currently has 2 13-3 and 1 11-5 as coordinator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom