What’s the first thing you ever ordered from Amazon? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I was on Amazon today and i stumbled across the little gray box under ‘Returns & Orders’ that lets you see past orders from every year you’ve been a member (I’m Prime but it might be the same for non-Prime, I’m not sure).. I’d never messed with it before, but out of curiosity i clicked on the earliest year listed, 2005, and saw that the very first thing i ever ordered from amazon.com was a special edition DVD of my favorite movie, Jerry Maguire.. Apparently it wasnt available at Best Buy, since that’s where i typically purchased DVDs back then.. Looks like i paid $25; i was dismayed to see that if I’d just waited another 15 yrs, that same special edition DVD is now only $7.95!

Was also interesting, to me at least, to see that from 2006-2010, i only ordered exactly three more items from Amazon: a Samsung Bluetooth earpiece in 2007, and DVDs of L.A. Story and Singles in 2008.. then I started ordering pretty regularly around 2011/2012.

What’s your earliest Amazon purchase, and when?

F662E96E-1F31-4F4A-B410-8D999F9CFD50.jpeg

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Let's see... Back in March 2003. We ordered two Calphalon pots. Those really were for my wife. The first things I ordered for myself were Dec 31, 2003 when I ordered a Transformers Alternators Subaru Impreza WRX and Namco Museum for the Gameboy advanced.

I barely used Amazon in 2004 and not at all in 2005 or 2006. Even in 2007 I only had three orders. For several years after that I placed maybe an order a month. It was 2011 when the floodgates opened. I was placing orders every other week. That might have been when I finally signed up for Prime. By 2016 I was making more than an order a week and last year I was almost up to two orders per week. This year, I'm way off that pace.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
December 25, 2002: Angel Season 1 on DVD

I assume I was buying my wife her Christmas gift. What a great husband I am.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You don't find it the least bit ironic that people lambasted Wal-Mart (who I am no fan of) for killing off mom-and-pop stores decades ago, are now willing to support an entity that will likely kill off other retailers for a bit more of convenience?

Oh, but you can stay on my lawn; I'm cool with that.
Do you use a brick and mortar travel agency to make all your travel arrangements?

Twyst

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Don’t you mean 1988?
No that would have been super early! I was 21, had just gotten an injury settlement from getting hit by a drunk and blew a crazy amount of money on a dvd player before they were a thing and a tivo the next year when it was crazy expensive before anyone had ever even heard of dvr. The serial number on my Tivo was in the low 100's. That was about the only time in my life Ive been ahead of the tech curve.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No that would have been super early! I was 21, had just gotten an injury settlement from getting hit by a drunk and blew a crazy amount of money on a dvd player before they were a thing and a tivo the next year when it was crazy expensive before anyone had ever even heard of dvr. The serial number on my Tivo was in the low 100's. That was about the only time in my life Ive been ahead of the tech curve.
Yeah, I read it too fast and thought it said 5-disc CD changer. I was too hasty with what would have been quality material . . . but a whiff.

Though I have to say a 5-disc DVD changer just seems kind of lazy. "Okay that movie was good for two hours and I'd watch another one . . . but then I'd have to get up. If only they made one that holds ten hours of movies."

OP
Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
blew a crazy amount of money on a dvd player before they were a thing and a tivo the next year when it was crazy expensive before anyone had ever even heard of dvr. The serial number on my Tivo was in the low 100's. That was about the only time in my life Ive been ahead of the tech curve.

I bought an Aiwa stereo that same year, like this one.. so it’s pretty much a tie.

0D84C5F9-DC52-4305-A229-50C878F79BA2.jpeg

Twyst

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Though I have to say a 5-disc DVD changer just seems kind of lazy. "Okay that movie was good for two hours and I'd watch another one . . . but then I'd have to get up. If only they made one that holds ten hours of movies."
I was in college. Getting so stoned I was too lazy to get up and change the movie was definitely a thing.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I bought an Aiwa stereo that same year, like this one.. so it’s pretty much a tie.

0D84C5F9-DC52-4305-A229-50C878F79BA2.jpeg

Dear God that's hideous. That was a really bad era for home audio.

It's so confused - it wants to look like a boom box, but it's got surround speakers and a damned remote control.

OP
Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dear God that's hideous. That was a really bad era for home audio.

It's so confused - it wants to look like a boom box, but it's got surround speakers and a damned remote control.

I remember really liking it at the time.. I’d never owned a ‘real’ stereo before, when there were separate components for turntable, equalizers, etc- so i was kind of excited that it was self-contained and relatively affordable.. plus it had the awesome lighting effects.. :hihi:

Funny thing is, as much as i liked it, i cant remember when or where i got rid of it.. i want to say it was 7 or 8 yrs later when i relocated from a different place and sold all my furniture, TV, bed, etc for like $300 all in to the guy who was subletting from me, but I’m not sure .

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I remember really liking it at the time.. I’d never owned a ‘real’ stereo before, when there were separate components for turntable, equalizers, etc- so i was kind of excited that it was self-contained and relatively affordable.. plus it had the awesome lighting effects.. :hihi:

Funny thing is, as much as i liked it, i cant remember when or where i got rid of it.. i want to say it was 7 or 8 yrs later when i relocated from a different place and sold all my furniture, TV, bed, etc for like $300 all in to the guy who was subletting from me, but I’m not sure .
I'm not faulting you - those things were everywhere, and seemed like a decent option.

I'm just saying it was an unfortunate era, stylistically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Madmarsha Zombieland is the best movie ever. Change my mind Everything Else Board 57

Headlines

Top Bottom