What’s the first thing you ever ordered from Amazon? (1 Viewer)

2004 - I bought my mother 3 DVDs as part of Xmas - Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and Gone With the Wind.

So, I would have thought that I purchased stuff from Amazon long before this, but my history shows that my first purchase was this sword that I bought for my then 4 year-old daughter for Christmas:

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 10.39.47 PM (2).jpg
you are so weird. also, this is why i love you.

2000 - 15 copies of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, the novel, for students of mine who couldn't afford it way way back in the long ago when I was teaching in Baton Rouge
lol. someone actually bought books off of amazon when that was their moneymaker.

Back in the summer of 2005, I had a group of co-workers that told me they had just bought tickets for the premiere of Star Wars Episode 3 at midnight and asked if I wanted to join. Being a young intern at the time living in a new city and just trying to fit in, I decided to go. I had seen the prior movies before once or twice, but never really got that much into Star Wars and really could not remember very much of it, but decided at worst, I will go just for the team-camaraderie/make new friends aspect.

Prior to that, I had saw the previous two prequel entries fairly recently, but as mentioned, I was just a casual fan that didn't really understand much of anything that was going on in the films. So I went with them to see Episode 3, and it absolutely blew me away; I did not remember much of Star Wars from my past, but seeing Vader in the flesh put the helmet on for the first time reeled me in and I wanted to learn more.

On their advice, once I was able to afford them, I bought the original trilogy movies to re-watch them, which I had not seen since I was probably 10 or so years old. Ever since that time period, I have been hooked on Star Wars even to this day, though I’d like to forget the latest two disaster installments.

jKRTepQ.png

Cool thread...I had to go back and look at my order history, because I did not have a clue. This brought back a great memory.

WOW, ok, AMZN closed at $35.31/share on June 17, 2005. Your purchase of $86.60 would have bought you just over 2.45 shares of AMZN on that day, worth....a whopping $6022 right now. OUCH. AMZN and for Apple people AAPL. If we had all bought stock instead of stuff, we would be sitting on huge piles of cash...or stock.

WOW, ok, AMZN closed at $35.31/share on June 17, 2005. Your purchase of $86.60 would have bought you just over 2.45 shares of AMZN on that day, worth....a whopping $6022 right now. OUCH. AMZN and for Apple people AAPL. If we had all bought stock instead of stuff, we would be sitting on huge piles of cash...or stock.

I just calculated my Amazon orders from the year 2012, which is the first year I started ordering somewhat regularly from Amazon, as opposed to just placing one or two orders per year.. The total of my orders was $202.90.. Im dying to know, what would that be worth today if I’d purchased stock instead? Or was it already too late by then?

I just calculated my Amazon orders from the year 2012, which is the first year I started ordering somewhat regularly from Amazon, as opposed to just placing one or two orders per year.. The total of my orders was $202.90.. Im dying to know, what would that be worth today if I’d purchased stock instead? Or was it already too late by then?

You would have made 12X on your money, depending on what time during the year you had bought. Your $200 would be about $2500 today.

I ordered about $500 from Amazon in 2012, so that would be about $6000 today.
In 2013, I spent about $1200 on Amazon, mostly dog stuff and computer things, that would be about $10,000 today.

OUCH!!!!

Last edited:
To further derail the thread, when I was a sophomore in college, I was trying to pad out my resume by being on an investment council as part of the business school. We were responsible to investing some small amount of endowment or scholarship fund or something. We were each supposed to research and present one investment that they would just put in and leave for the next several years. Could be stocks, bonds, commodities, whatever. Well, the one I presented was Apple. And the seniors on the committee were asking me "what's the PE ratio?" and "dividends" and all that, and of course the fundamentals were all terrible, so I looked like an idiot and I was summarily discounted. The head of the committee proposed some gold mining company. I forget what we went with, but we didn't go with Apple. I think the $20,000 or so we had to invest would be worth about $10 million today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom