What’s the Payton headline today (Thursday)? (1 Viewer)

This has to be the most fluid situation in the history of fluids or situations. Yesterday a mystery team emerged and this morning Albert Breer was on Two Pros and A Cup of Joe talking about how SP will probably go back to Fox. He said that SP's dream job just isn't out there. Doesn't want to enter into a rebuilding situation. Basically SP overestimated the market for his services.

I think he had his heart set on the Chargers. He thought he would be able to name his price and then get to coach one of the most physically gifted QBs in the league while living in beautiful Southern California. Compare that dream to the reality he's facing with Arizona and Denver. Not great. So now he can take one of these less than ideal jobs or wait a year and see what happens. It's not like he's hurting for cash so it comes down to just how bad he wants to get back on the sidelines.

At this point I think he's just being a tease. He knows what he's going to do but he's loving the attention. Leaking stuff every day to keep the spotlight on him and build drama. So don't be surprised to hear that a second mystery team has entered SP's DMs

So lets say he goes back to FOX, and next year the Chargers job opens up, why would the Saints then lose any leverage on picks? We could say we want these picks or we won't let him coach and if he and the Chargers want that pairing bad enough they will give it up or he can go back to tv a 3rd year and the Chargers would then have to to plan B right or am I missing something?

As far as we know, the roulette wheel of all possible outcomes is still spinning.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Who the heck is the intriguing mystery team?

Could be Miami, but they have a hot shot young coach.

Could conceivably be Dallas, but by all accounts McCarthy ain’t going nowhere.

Maybe NYJs want to trade for Rodgers and bring in Payton?

Chiefs if Reid is retiring, but that seems entirely speculative.

Tampa, but they’re in a bad way without Brady (and not even that great with him).

Seattle if Carroll is retiring?

Maybe McVay is getting cold feet about staying in LA?

Tomlin thinking about a change of scenery?

None of these make very much sense. Would require an unexpected shoe to drop.

I’d just accept that it is all just made up by the media. There is nothing but half truths and conjecture. Payton will probably want to see what happens with the playoffs. If Reid retires, the Chiefs are a goldmine. I imagine that we may not hear anything substantial until after the Chiefs are done with their season.

The only headline I want to see is that he either accepted an offer from another team with what that teams gives up in draft choices or that he is staying permanetly retired.

So lets say he goes back to FOX, and next year the Chargers job opens up, why would the Saints then lose any leverage on picks? We could say we want these picks or we won't let him coach and if he and the Chargers want that pairing bad enough they will give it up or he can go back to tv a 3rd year and the Chargers would then have to to plan B right or am I missing something?
Spot on. Waiting a year doesn't hurt the Saints if Payton's preferred job opens up. He'd have to jump on it or someone else takes it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom