What’s the Story Behind this Archie Manning Photo ? (2 Viewers)

I only just saw this for the first time, looks like it was printed shortly after the Saints drafted him.. Im guessing this is an early example of Photoshop (like 30 yrs before it was invented)- and ive always known that his college number at Ole Miss was 18 becuase the speed limit on campus is 18 mph to honor Archie’s number (true story)- but it’s never occured to me to ask: Why did he drop the 1 ? What was he #8 with the Saints, and not #18 like in college ??

7CFAE890-7144-4D4C-B165-4443E512702A.jpeg
Hugo Hollis wore 18 at the time

officially, i'd be happy for someone else to take #8 in black and gold

it's been unofficially held off limits for too long out of sentiment

#9 is the only jersey that should be retired

Peyton also wore the 18 and Eli was offered the 18 at ole miss even though it was retired to honor Archie but he opted for the 10 jersey which the giants have retired.

this thread is a nice throwback, thx

i was at that browns game as a tyke 🤮

ye olde capitol division
Brutal.

We didn't get season tickets until 1968, which is when my pain started in earnest. But, as I've said here before, I was sitting in Miami watching the confetti come down and thinking about sitting in Tulane Stadium in the blazing hot 73(?) opener getting absolutely demolished by the Falcons 62-7. It made XLIV sooooo sweet.

What we're going through now is a piece of cake.

Hugo Hollis

obi-wan-star-wars.gif

Wow, haven't thought about Gridweek in almost 50 years. What a gem.
My dad was one of the photographers for that paper. His friend Lou Darre (a proffesional photographer) started it and eventually sold it to Steve Stonebreaker. My dad was a talented amateur photographer. I think he mostly did HS games. It was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Thank you for solving this ! Truly do learn somehting new each day

Also, gosh i only remember DBs back then wearing #s in the 20s-40s
Safety Obert Logan, known as Little O, wore #0 for about three or four years. The traditional numbers for QBs has always been single digit and teens. Although John Hadl wore #22 throughout his HoF career.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom