What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (1 Viewer)

Without Al Dodd, Dempsey's kick would never have occurred.

Detroit kicked a field goal with 11 seconds on the clock to take the lead...17-16.
Dodd returned the kick-off to the 28 yd line with 8 seconds to go.
Kilmer then hit Dodd with a 17 yd. pass on the sidelines that required a tippy toe catch with 2 seconds to go.

The rest is history...

1605766580640.png

1605766484548.png

When I was six years old (1971), I bought a pack of football cards that contained the one on the bottom. For some reason I liked the uniform and became a life long fan.

I’ll go first:

1) we once had an astronaut as a GM
Dick Gordon, he was a astronaut and former Navy pilot IIRC who commanded the Apollo 12 lunar module mission after the ground-breaking Apollo moon lunar landing a year before in July 1969. After his WH welcome reception, John Mecom struck up a conversation with Gordon and for some inane, incomprehensible reason convinced to become the GM of NFL team, something he had absolutely no experience or aptitude for. In one famous (or infamous) contract negotiation, Gordon tried to convince Saints Pro Bowl WR Danny Abramowitz that he actually flew to the moon for far less than the money he was asking for. Abramowitz' response was sharp but appropriate: "That's your problem".

The New Orleans Saints once played a game in the same stadium that Babe Ruth did.
That would be Yankee Stadium vs. New York Giants in 1967 inaugural season.
Another interesting footnote to that game: Due to believing one of his teammates receiving a late, dirty hit out of bounds, "The Mountain" Doug Atkins and former Pro Bowl Colts LB Steve Stonebreaker jumped on NYG DE, Roosevelt Barnes IIRC, and had one of the nastiest, most vicious post-game fights in NFL history. It got so out of hand the brawl spilled into the stands and John Mecom even got involved, knocking out one of the Giants players who tried to take a swing at him.

Before New Orleans had a team the NFL played an exhibition game here to see how it would work. They wanted to gauge turn out, infrastructure, things like that.

Black NFL players were turned away from hotels because they were still whites only and several were spit on and threatened in the streets.

The NFL said no way we would get a team. It’s literally a miracle we got one two years later.
That was the 1963 AFL All-Star game where most of the African-American players from the AFL teams weren't allowed to ride in taxis, to eat or drink at local New Orleans restaurants or bars, in fact when a few black AFL All-Stars tried to force the proprietors to serve them, a few of the bouncers, bartenders pointed guns at them and told them to get out and leave otherwise they'd be shot.
So when the black AFL All-Stars arrived back at the hotel, they called a meeting and discussed and then voted on boycotting the All-Star game in New Orleans. All but 2 or 3 players voted against it and the game itself was moved to Houston.

The Saints were one of two teams in 1973 to hold O.J. Simpson below 100 yards a game in his record-breaking 2,003 single-season rushing mark in 1973. The other team to hold Simpson under 100 yards was Buffalo's AFC East rival and eventual Super XIII champs, Miami Dolphins.

Cincinnati did as well.

I've always been lead to believe it was just two NFL teams, Saints and Dolphins, that held O.J. under 100 yards rushing during his record-breaking 2,000 rushing season. Well, sometimes you do learn new things every day.

Here's another interesting story about 1973 Bills/Dolphins game, Miami had taken a near 2-TD lead over Bills midway through the 4th quarter and instead of trying to get back in the game, Bills just kept handing the ball off to Simpson, more interested in him getting closer to his eventual record than trying to win the game. I mean, quite a few Dolphins defenders got upset and were yelling at Buffalo's selfishness and lack of concern or apparent desire to try and win the game.,

Team name: awarded on all saints day
Team colors: Mecom’s money was made in oil “black gold”
Black Helmets: Worn only once for a preseason game in 1969
Gold Jersey: worn only once for a Vikings game I attended in 2002

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom