What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (2 Viewers)

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score
It helped that Louisiana Senator Russell Long (Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee) and Louisiana Representative Hale Boggs (House Majority Whip) were on the job in D.C.

At that time the bill to merge the NFL and AFL was in congress. On its own, it would have to go through the Senate Judiciary Committee where it was unlikely to get out because it would have required an antitrust exemption which would have been opposed.

Hale Boggs came up with a plan and attached the merger bill to a tax bill heavily supported by LBJ. It included the antitrust exemption. Since it was primarily a tax bill, it would get routed to Long's Finance Committee, where he could steer it towards a vote.

Before the vote occurred, NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle told Boggs that he didn't know how to thank him for helping out the NFL-AFL merger. Boggs essentially told him New Orleans gets a franchise immediately. That's the deal. The bill passed and New Orleans got its franchise.

And what a helmet it was. It accompanied him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
1605820363047.png

The Falcons were led that day by a journeyman QB named Dick Shiner.
In the late 60s/early 70s the Browns had a WR named Fair Hooker.

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I thought the 1992 Saints defense would have the best DSRS of the 1990s, but it was actually the 1999 Bills :(

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The Saints gave the new Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Bucs franchises their first ever wins. Flipper Anderson holds the single game record for receiving yards with 336 for the Rams against the Saints in 1989. The Saints were up 17 to 3 going into the fourth quarter and lost by three points.

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
No...only after he was gone. Dick Nolan 1979 was first 8-8 season.
Glad you tweaked that... yes, it was Dick Nolan (father of former Saints LB coach Mike Nolan).

Stram should have been given another 2+ years. He was really building a good team. Sort of unfair.

:gosaints:

njsaint

Rookie
Reaction score
Without Al Dodd, Dempsey's kick would never have occurred.

Detroit kicked a field goal with 11 seconds on the clock to take the lead...17-16.
Dodd returned the kick-off to the 28 yd line with 8 seconds to go.
Kilmer then hit Dodd with a 17 yd. pass on the sidelines that required a tippy toe catch with 2 seconds to go.

The rest is history...

1605766580640.png

1605766484548.png

When I was six years old (1971), I bought a pack of football cards that contained the one on the bottom. For some reason I liked the uniform and became a life long fan.
Great story! I love it...

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
The Saints gave the new Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Bucs franchises their first ever wins. Flipper Anderson holds the single game record for receiving yards with 336 for the Rams against the Saints in 1989. The Saints were up 17 to 3 going into the fourth quarter and lost by three points.
Well, well, well Sainthood.

Aren’t you the spreader of sunshine ☀ and great memories. 🤔

:gosaints:

njsaint

Rookie
Reaction score
How can a guy have 336 receiving yards overall and his team only have 3 points through 3 quarters? Amazing stat, I remember that game ...

njsaint

Rookie
Reaction score
I have always maintained that was the loudest I have ever heard the Dome. 8-7. 2 minutes from our first ever winning season and a playoff game. 2 minutes left. The Dome Patrol. The players on the bench waving towels and the Dome was absolutely insane. Then Lansford breaks our heart and the Dome goes deafly quiet for maybe a minute. Then like the movies we started clapping. Not cheering. Just clapping. The best season ever to that point
Easily the most brutal loss to that point for me as a Saint fan from about 74.. never forget it- Monday night game, thought we were finally going to the playoffs. just awful- hated those Ram teams

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)