What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (1 Viewer)

Same with the Dempsy Kick.
1) When Tom Dempsey kicked his then-record 63 yard field goal the radio call went like this "The kick is up and"...silence. Because at that moment bees got into the radio transmitter and shorted out the signal, so fans listening to the game never got to hear if the kick was good.

2) Never in history has an NFL team had two QB's named Billy Joe. A fact for which the other 31 NFL teams are no doubt eternally grateful :hihi:

Ah yes, the Culpepper fumbling his way into a winning 2-pt. conversion game.
After that I incident went outside, grabbed the Saints flag attached to the front of my house, and hurled it into the park next door like a javelin. I would sheepishly retrieve it later because no one stole it, much to my dismay :hihi:

I believe the Saints are the first team to win the Super Bowl after losing in the regular season to Tampa Bay.

They are also, I believe, the only team to win the super bowl after losing their last 3 regular season games.

Though I could be mistaken on that.

Saint Archie was an amazing QB - but never had a chance playing for some terrible teams.

In his very first game, he scored the winning TD on the final play of the game to beat the LA Rams. That was also the first time a Saints team won there season opening game.

His football numbers were not so good. But many agree if he had played for a franchise like the Cowboys or Steelers, he would have been a Hall of Fame QB.

Watch this short video. Pretty cool stuff.

Also of note; Check out the “legal” hits on a QB from days gone by. Imagine the likes of today’s QB’s having to deal with what Archie went through.

We won Super Bowl 44 in our 44th year of existence while the 44th President was in office.
And if I recall correctly there was 44 seconds left in the game when we took over on downs prompting one of my favorite Jim Henderson calls

The Saints take over and it would APPEAR that the Saints are going to win the SB

Indy has no time outs. 14 point lead. We have the ball. And it APPEARS we are going to win

Only a Saints fan can understand

The Saints have only had either a 7-9, 11-5 or 13-3 record for the past 11 seasons.

This is one I can truthfully say I have thought of on a regular basis.....mainly in amazement at how it's even possible.

Even if you took Payton's only two seasons ever that didn't have those records (10-6 and 8-8).......just take 1 win away from 2008 and add it to 2006 and it still keeps that flow 😂

This is one I can truthfully say I have thought of on a regular basis.....mainly in amazement at how it's even possible.

Even if you took Payton's only two seasons ever that didn't have those records (10-6 and 8-8).......just take 1 win away from 2008 and add it to 2006 and it still keeps that flow 😂
Yeah we should have never lost to Washington in 06. That would have been an 11-5 season.

And in 08 we suffered about 6 gut wrenching losses. Give us 3 wins out of the 6 and we end up 11-5.

The Saints have a member of the Hall of Fame who is not credited as a Saint despite the fact that one does not enter the Hall of Fame with any particular team and instead receives recognition for all the teams he has played for...

...Dick Stanfel was posthumously inducted into the HoF in 2016 as a Detroit Lion and a Washington Football Teamer. Dick was hired as an OL coach by Hank Stram and stayed on when Dick Nolan became coach. After 12 games Nolan was relieved and Stanfel took over as interim Head Coach for 4 games. After that season Stanfel went to the Bears and helped them win a Superbowl. The Bears led the NFL rushing for 3 straight years. When Ditka joined the Saints he brought Stanfel back to the organization. Stanfel was a great OL coach in both college and the Pros. He worked with Marv Levy and Joe Kuharich.

In 2016 he was inducted into the Hall of Fame as one of the greatest Guards in Football History. He was a member of 1950 All-Decade team. When you get inducted into the HoF as a player they recognize the franchises you played for and not the organizations you coached. Nonetheless, he is and always will be a Saint.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom