What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (6 Viewers)

And 300,000 claim they were there

I was not at the first game. I was very young, my dad had to work on Sunday, so he gave the tickets to his father and my dad's brother. (My uncle and grandfather are deceased, my dad and I are still alive.....)

In 2005 the New Orleans Saints played 16 (sixteen) Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back regular season road games and ended with a 3-13 season record. This schedule will likely stand forever, never to be repeated.

That was the 1963 AFL All-Star game where most of the African-American players from the AFL teams weren't allowed to ride in taxis, to eat or drink at local New Orleans restaurants or bars, in fact when a few black AFL All-Stars tried to force the proprietors to serve them, a few of the bouncers, bartenders pointed guns at them and told them to get out and leave otherwise they'd be shot.
So when the black AFL All-Stars arrived back at the hotel, they called a meeting and discussed and then voted on boycotting the All-Star game in New Orleans. All but 2 or 3 players voted against it and the game itself was moved to Houston.
Thank you! I heard about it on a sports podcast earlier this year and couldn’t find any additional info on it.

The Mora years are known for both great milestones and missed opportunities, but here's an obscure one:

Six times in Mora's 10 1/2 years as coach, the Saints defeated a team that had either won or at least played in the previous year's Super Bowl -- 1985, beat the Niners on the road; 1987, beat the Giants at home; 1988, beat the Broncos at home; 1990, beat the Niners on the road; 1992, beat the Skins at home; 1995, beat the Niners on the road.

The only ostrich racing @ halftime.

In a preseason game against CIN(the year Boomer modeled underwear); the fans were called for a delay of game penalty, for the 1st time ever. The game was stopped numerous times as the dome went nuts! I was on the 45, 5 rows behind the CIN bench, we were unmerciful talking smack to Boomer.

The 2 Hillgenberger brothers playing center on the same team (both former Pro-Bowlers).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom