What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (1 Viewer)

The Saints gave the new Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Bucs franchises their first ever wins. Flipper Anderson holds the single game record for receiving yards with 336 for the Rams against the Saints in 1989. The Saints were up 17 to 3 going into the fourth quarter and lost by three points.

Without Al Dodd, Dempsey's kick would never have occurred.

Detroit kicked a field goal with 11 seconds on the clock to take the lead...17-16.
Dodd returned the kick-off to the 28 yd line with 8 seconds to go.
Kilmer then hit Dodd with a 17 yd. pass on the sidelines that required a tippy toe catch with 2 seconds to go.

The rest is history...

1605766580640.png

1605766484548.png

When I was six years old (1971), I bought a pack of football cards that contained the one on the bottom. For some reason I liked the uniform and became a life long fan.

Great story! I love it...

The Saints gave the new Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Bucs franchises their first ever wins. Flipper Anderson holds the single game record for receiving yards with 336 for the Rams against the Saints in 1989. The Saints were up 17 to 3 going into the fourth quarter and lost by three points.

Well, well, well Sainthood.

Aren’t you the spreader of sunshine ☀️ and great memories. 🤔

:gosaints:

How can a guy have 336 receiving yards overall and his team only have 3 points through 3 quarters? Amazing stat, I remember that game ...

I have always maintained that was the loudest I have ever heard the Dome. 8-7. 2 minutes from our first ever winning season and a playoff game. 2 minutes left. The Dome Patrol. The players on the bench waving towels and the Dome was absolutely insane. Then Lansford breaks our heart and the Dome goes deafly quiet for maybe a minute. Then like the movies we started clapping. Not cheering. Just clapping. The best season ever to that point

Easily the most brutal loss to that point for me as a Saint fan from about 74.. never forget it- Monday night game, thought we were finally going to the playoffs. just awful- hated those Ram teams

The 1992 Saints are the only team to lose twice when leading 20-7 in the third quarter (I didn't verify).

The 04 team missing out on the playoffs b/c the Rams beat the Jets in OT in a weird, fluky game? That didn't bother me as much b/c by then I thought the Haslett Saints had clearly shown us who they were. In 02...yeah, we had 01 to look at, but we also had 00. For me, the jury was still out, especially when we got to a 9-4 start (7-5 at that point in 01).

I wasn't implying that the ship had sailed on the Haslett era in general, I was saying that that particular season we'd lost whatever energy we'd had during the 6-1 start and I sincerely thought we were just gonna get stomped in our first playoff game even if we'd made it. These were the records of the teams we played going into our games with them during that season-ending freefall:

3-10 Vikings
1-13 Bengals
6-9 Panthers

Cumulatively, 10-32 for a .238 winning decimal or what extrapolates to 3.8 wins over a 16 game schedule. I just couldn't muster that degree of blind faith and if I could've then I'm sure there are more than a few time share salesmen who'd love to take me out to lunch one day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom