What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (2 Viewers)

In a 1969 game, Billy Kilmer and Charley Johnson (cardinals) each threw 6 TD passes to set a combined record of 12 (saints won 51-42)
that record lasted until 2015 when Brees threw 7 and Eli Manning threw 6 in the Saints victory

I actually knew that one because I used to have this swell lil Saints almanac my grandpa gave me when I was 10. I also found out at that same time that our franchise record for points in a game was 51 which we'd done twice as of 1991:

Saints 51, Cardinals 42 11.02.69
Saints 51, Seahawks 27 11.21.76

That record would stand until they killed the Curtis Painter-led Colts 62-7 on SNF on 10.23.11. We also tied the 51-point former record on MNF against first year starter Aaron Rodgers when we beat them 51-29 on 11.24.08. We could've set a new franchise record by simply kicking the old 20 yard extra point since they didn't become 33 yards til 2015 but SP apparently wanted the lead to extend to cover three separate 8-point TDs at 53-29.

Since the 62 point outburst in 2011, we've topped 50 points on three other occasions:

Saints 52, Giants 49 11.01.15
Saints 52, Lions 38 10.15.17
Saints 51, Bengals 14 11.11.18

I've always been lead to believe it was just two NFL teams, Saints and Dolphins, that held O.J. under 100 yards rushing during his record-breaking 2,000 rushing season. Well, sometimes you do learn new things every day.

Here's another interesting story about 1973 Bills/Dolphins game, Miami had taken a near 2-TD lead over Bills midway through the 4th quarter and instead of trying to get back in the game, Bills just kept handing the ball off to Simpson, more interested in him getting closer to his eventual record than trying to win the game. I mean, quite a few Dolphins defenders got upset and were yelling at Buffalo's selfishness and lack of concern or apparent desire to try and win the game.,

Teams back before the 90s if they were bad would often have selfish acts or odd moments. Like when Falcons stopped the game to present a trophy to its first 1,000 yard rusher.

In the 17 (1 playoff game included) total Superdome games of 2011 and 2013, the Saints were 17-0.....winning 14 by double digits.

The 3 single digits wins were Houston in 2011 and Atlanta/SF in 2013.

The Saints covered the spread in 16 of those 17 games (people either pushed or barely lost on the 2013 Niners game, depending on whether they got Saints -3 or -3.5).

Dome field advantage was no myth.

Teams back before the 90s if they were bad would often have selfish acts or odd moments. Like when Falcons stopped the game to present a trophy to its first 1,000 yard rusher.
If you’re bringing that up, you need to also mention that they left him in the game and on the next couple of plays he got stopped behind the line and finished the season under 1,000 yds.

The Saints are the only team in NFL history to play a HOME game in their opponents stadium (New York Giants)
I was there thanks to Andrus's selling me his ticket. Our seats were fantastic, like front row. The Giants apparently had no cheerleaders at that time, and the guys around us were going crazy over the Saintsations.

My first season ticket in 1968 was a 10-game package (3 pre-season, 7 regular-season). Total cost: $15.00. That's $1.50 per game. You cant buy a single item in the Super Dome now for $1.50. It was part of a "youth ticket" program that carried into the first year of games in the Super Dome. The price went up slowly over time but not significantly.

And I truly was there for Dempsey's famous kick. My seats were about 20 rows up right behind the goalposts in the north endzone. I had a very good look at the ball as it inched over. Tulane Stadium went absolutely crazy.
We had tickets to the first SB in New Orleans but my dad was POd that they moved us from our 25 yard line season tickets to the goal line. So h scalped those for $25 and repurchased 30 yard line tickets go $20. I truly think my dad was the first ticket broker in front of the stadium. He would send me into the stadium and show up right after kickoff with a pocket full of money. Different times back then in a lot of ways

The Saints were up 17 to 3 going into the fourth quarter and lost by three points.
^Still not as bad as the Falcons. :hihi:

Here's one:
The Saints were known as the one of the poorest expansion teams for the first 20 years of their existence. However, it is noteworthy that the 12 wins that they racked up during their first three years in the league (1967-69) was the best winning percentage of any expansion team prior to that time.

(*Newer franchises have since bettered that record.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom