What about Byrd (1 Viewer)

The season before we signed him we had a top 10 defense if I remember correctly. It's not like we were trying to rebuild the defense from FS in. He was supposed to be a final piece of the puzzle and it didn't work out that way for a lot of reasons. Let's see what he has to offer now instead of what he offered last year and then make a decision on his fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what you are saying is is that no one defender has ever stood out in a bad defense before? If he was 54 million good he would be making plays out there regardless. :shrug:

Also your post basically says....worst FA signing EVER. If we knew we needed all that for him to succeed and didn't have it, why did we pay him?

Byrd is that black sheep in the family no one wants to talk about.

The worst part is, Byrd can't even have a good season at this point to make his signing seem worth it, he would have to have some type of record breaking achievement and us win the SB to make it worth it.

Definitely not. We've seen Cam Jordan shine on our bad defenses time and time again. His situation is very different from Byrd's though. For the most part Cam's success is solely on him. If a CB slips or has bad coverage a QB can easily avoid/nullify Byrd's impact by taking advantage. If you've got incompetent Corners and LBs who can't cover, which we've had consistently, Byrd is in a huge Bind. He's just trying not to give up the big play at that point.

Let's say a company signed you to be the cornerstone of said company. You have 20 other employees working with you and together you have to reach a certain quota. The other employees are doing an awful job and your success depends on them pulling at least a portion of their own weight. You think you'll make quota? Byrd didn't suddenly become bad and Jenkins didn't suddenly become really good. When the other 10 do their job then the FS shines.

You pay Byrd because when all 10 pieces are in working order then you have the makings of an elite defense. You pay him because he was a turnover machine. The FS can be the ultimate game changer on a defense. After 2013 it looked like we would have an elite D for years to come so he was the last piece of the puzzle. The turnover machine we needed.

Name me a player that got better under Ryan. Give Byrd a chance now that he is healthy.

As for Lewis he lost me in 2014 when we opened up at Atlanta. I will never forgive him for his pathetic effort on a third down play where he didn't even try to make a tackle on his own man and the guy gets in for a TD. It should of been a fg and the rest of the game we got gashed.

Lewis is by far the most overrated saint of all time. One solid year where only Ryan thought he was an all star. He was full of himself. Remember all the talk that he thought he was the fastest man on the field. What a joke!! Good riddance.

How was he in training camp? I believe I've heard one report of him hustling to the ball once...other than that crickets.

As if camp reports are anything more than an unreliable barometer at best and misleading at worst.

It's August. The answers people seek largely don't exist yet. He's starting. That's the most definitive judgement you are going to get until real games start.

How much we have lost? He definitely hasn't lived up to his contract. Will he even be on the field?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Byrd has been hurt and/or lackluster since he got here. His body may just be broken, just like Keenan Lewis. Look for Byrd to follow Lewis out the door, as soon as the salary cap math allows it (which may not be until next year). Hopefully, the rookie will step up.

How are so many still so clueless regarding Byrd? Let the guy actually have at least 1 heathy season playing in the position he excels at (bc Ryan's D was a train wreck especially for Byrd and the role he was tasked to play) before writing him off.

I am also disappointed that we gave him such a big contract that he hasn't come close to earning yet, but that's not his fault, and he can still get back to his old form in the right D. Anyone who claims he was a bad signing is just lying to themselves, expects too much, and/or doesn't understand how injuries and poor coaching can affect someone.

Byrd was the best FS in the league for his first years in BUF, and he was the most prized FA that season. We desperately needed a FS, so we gave a him a good contract, but don't even give me the Jenkins line bc Malcolm was not good here in that role, and he's still not that good in PHI - stats don't tell the whole story.

It appears that Byrd is healthy now, so of course he should get some reps tonight. He also has a quality supporting cast for the first time in 3 years w great CBs, good LBs, and a solid DL. Just be patient and learn to use perspective.

So what you are saying is is that no one defender has ever stood out in a bad defense before? If he was 54 million good he would be making plays out there regardless. :shrug:

Also your post basically says....worst FA signing EVER. If we knew we needed all that for him to succeed and didn't have it, why did we pay him?

Byrd is that black sheep in the family no one wants to talk about.

The worst part is, Byrd can't even have a good season at this point to make his signing seem worth it, he would have to have some type of record breaking achievement and us win the SB to make it worth it. This is 1000% on the FO btw, they really scewed up on this one.

We have no pass rush. All this talk about secondary guys is irrelevant. Of course, paying $54million on one when you know good and well that your rush blows chunks was dumb.

We have no pass rush. All this talk about secondary guys is irrelevant. Of course, paying $54million on one when you know good and well that your rush blows chunks was dumb.

There was plenty of pass rush from the 1st team DL tonight.

And the DBs looked great as well.

Simple Byrd plays this year. Next year he restructures or is cut.

We've had terrible defenses. The job of a FS is to capitalize on good coverage by corners, make QBs pay for inaccurate throws, and be the last line of defense. How can anyone expect him to play well when we're setting records for TDs given up, Highest QB rating against us, and getting gashed for a big gain every other play. He's not Superman. It takes 10 other players doing their job to make a FS elite.

Fact: You can make all the excuses you want. However, no matter how you put it, Byrd's production on the field doesn't equate to his salary.

This forum can be the capital of hyperbole.
Anyone who thinks Byrd is the worst FA ever hasn't heard of Albert Haynesworth.
Dude was hurt, then played behind the one of the sorriest excuses for CB play ever. Let it play out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom