What about D.J. Swearinger S? (1 Viewer)

Hanau Eepe Saint

Will Hill's #1 fan
Reaction score
Looking through the threads on here, we, as well as some of the (former) players all seem to look for a something or someone that could bring that swagger back to the defense.. Why not a (good) player with an even greater attitude.

This leads me to pushing DJ Swearinger out of SC, Nicknamed Jungleboi, he does not only have a cool alias :)mwink:) but he's actually looking like a good football player that probably could start at a few positions.

6'
210lb
Projected 4.55 40

Here are some collected quotes from various draft sources (for what it's worth):

He has played both free and strong safety, and his good performances as a spot duty at corner against big receivers suggests he has the potential to cover NFL tight ends in coverage well. He projects to be a day two pick.

NFL quarterbacks might take advantage of his aggressive nature, as he will jump underneath routes. Gets overly physical with receivers, sometimes crossing the pass interference line because he lacks the pure speed to keep up. Straddles the line with trash talk and hits through the whistle. Will likely get flagged and fined for overly-aggressive play. :hihi:<article> NFL Comparison

T.J. Ward </article>
That said, he's a very physical defender who showed greater open-field tackling skills and dependability in coverage as the year wore on. At this point he looks like a mid-round selection. Considering his versatility and toughness, however, he could be on the verge of a strong jump up the board this season.
Swearinger is a talented and athletic safety in coverage. He is capable of matching up on wide receivers and tight ends in man to man coverage. In deep zones, DJ flashes great range and ball skills but he needs to improve his recognition skills and jump on the ball. He looks very comfortable in zone coverage in the box.
He is currently projected as a mid rounder but I've seen him rise on a few boards a bit these last few months.. But safeties are always hard to predict, esp. in such a strong class.

What sparked my interest and got me to do some research was the fact that he seems to be somewhat of a coverage type of SS who can make a big hit but still with sound tackling technique when he has no support in run d.

I've seen him compared to Goldson which some people like, some don't. But his ceiling seems pretty high..

Would he be an good fit for the saints under RR? Or would we prefer a tall rangy safety like the one we've all seen on here before. Too aggressive/reckless?

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2zzy5UTdmWY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cp1j5H3XodE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

he is very talented but he is also out of control. This are three consecutive plays of the game against arkansas and it wraps black xerxes up as well as possible iyam

Personal Foul: horse collar DJ Swearinger
Personal Foul: Helmet to helmet DJ Swearinger
Interception Returned for a TD, DJ Swearinger, Personal foul, unsportmanlike conduct, DJ Swearinger

He hits hard but is nothing above average beyond that. The quote in the highlight was not made about him either, Bob Sanders old coach said that about Bob a while ago.

On the tape he did several things our safeties did not do; caught the ball, was there on time in support, and covered. I did not like the no wrap-up tackles though.

he is very talented but he is also out of control. This are three consecutive plays of the game against arkansas and it wraps black xerxes up as well as possible iyam

Personal Foul: horse collar DJ Swearinger
Personal Foul: Helmet to helmet DJ Swearinger
Interception Returned for a TD, DJ Swearinger, Personal foul, unsportmanlike conduct, DJ Swearinger

Out of control!!?!? This guy is a player. I watched this game and recall that sequence of plays and I recall just being in WOW. First off, both the horse collar and helmet to helmet fouls were bull. Even after all that, the guy picks off the QB for a pick 6 and his teammates pounce him in the end zone drawing the unsportsmanlike penalty. Dude is a football player. Very physical. Does everything well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom