What about dangling Jahri Evans for draft picks? (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Jahri Evans is slated to become a RFA after this season, and while I think he's a very good player, we sure could use some more draft picks. Would you be opposed to slapping him with a 1st round tender as a RFA, and then trying to move him for a 1st and 3rd rounder in April's draft? We've got Carl Nicks as a young up-and-comer at OG, and Nesbit still has a little left in the tank. Also, teams have shown that they're willing to spend big money and make solid OGs a high priority. I'd hate to see him go, but we've got alot of holes to fill, and Evans will be a hot commodity.

Thoughts?

No. He's one of our best and to let him go would be stupid in my opinion. We need all the help on the O-line we can get and letting one of our young and best linemen go wouldn't be good.

no thanks. trade brown before you trade evans. evans has good legs and is not fools gold like Brown.

By all means slap him for a 1st and 3rd, but I doubt anyone needs a guard so badly that they would pay that much and then give him a fat paycheck. And I think we're a much better team with him in at right guard. If anyone is willing to pay a first and third we have to take it, even if they're the superbowl champs, more first round talent on defense would not hurt at all.

At this point Im up for anything. Everyone should be on the block. Keep Brees Bush colston Vilma Ellis Porter.

The Saints will put the maximum tender on him. If a team makes an offer that he accepts and the Saints refuse to match we will receive a 1st and a 3rd rounder. This won't happen, as a guard is not really as valuable as a 1st rounder much less a 1st and a 3rd. But, I have no doubt, this is what will happen and either way I think the Saints will make out fine.

I wouldn't...how we have drafted lately, a first and third might not yield as good a player as Jahri Evans.
A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush...

Brown is damaged goods... He has nowhere near the value Evans does. It's just a thought.

Exactly. Teams are always looking for that solid tackle and as injury prone as he might be some teams will be willing to fork out a 2nd or maybe even a late 1st for him. I feel solid in his backups.

no thanks. trade brown before you trade evans. evans has good legs and is not fools gold like Brown.
Right now, under his current contract, JB is a bargain, he may be not a top 5 LT in this league but he isn't paid like it.

he's the one guy we should be trying to build the line around. he's been the only consistent lineman this year and we are not gonna be able to replace him with a couple of draft picks. i say you get what you can for charles grant and if you have a high first round pick next year, then trade it for a lower first and a second round pick.

I feel like where the Saints have gone wrong is not building a foundation. The foundation of a team is the O-line and D-line. It would be like building a house without a good foundation, it will crack and crumble. We've got 2 good young players in Evans and Nicks. We need to continue to try and build around them on the line. Defense you have Ellis and that's about it on the line. Grant and Smith aren't playing up to their contracts. Until you build the lines up, you will struggle. The best corners in the league can't cover forever without a pssa rush. The best RB in the league can't run without a hole to run through. I believe you have to keep Evans and build a foundation.

I wouldn't...how we have drafted lately, a first and third might not yield as good a player as Jahri Evans.
A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush...

Huh? I would say the exact opposite. Our drafts have been pretty good recently, particularly 06 and 08. Ellis, Porter, Nicks are all starters in their rookie seasons. Arrington showed promise. The only bad pick was Mehlhaff.

That would be a dumb move. He's possibly the best OL we have. We need an LT not to have another hole somewhere else

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom