FA What about... Randall Cobb? (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Savvy veteran WR with experience playing in the slot. Knows how to get open, and knows what it takes to be successful in a NFL offense. The stats he put up in Dallas last season would have made a significant impact in the Saints offense. He’ll be 30 next season, but he seems like he’s been around longer than that. I definitely think there’s enough left in the tank to help out during Brees’ farewell tour.

I like the player, I like the fit.

Dallas fans believe he will be a priority re-sign however. He's one of McCarthy's old guys from Green Bay, and Cobb was one of the first players named in McCarthy's press conference that he's looking forward to reuniting with and working with.

So that leads me to believe he's going to be the 3rd guy in line for them after they work things out with Dak, and Amari; and becomes even more of a priority if somehow another team can pull away Amari with a better offer.

I wouldn't hurt to sign him.

Dallas has other players that are of higher priority though... Cooper and Dak need to be worked out first. I’d love to see the Saints steal him

Yeah, they've got some tough decisions to make.

The only real problem I see is that they just hired Mike McCarthy, who coached him in GB. I'd imagine having someone who is familiar with McCarthy's offense AND already spent a season with Dak would make him pretty valuable to Dallas.

Savvy veteran WR with experience playing in the slot. Knows how to get open, and knows what it takes to be successful in a NFL offense. The stats he put up in Dallas last season would have made a significant impact in the Saints offense. He’ll be 30 next season, but he seems like he’s been around longer than that. I definitely think there’s enough left in the tank to help out during Brees’ farewell tour.
I don't know for sure. Numbers aren't everything, but if you add up the number of targets Ginn and TreQuan got this year (81) it is very similar to how many targets Cobb had (83).

So did Cobb do more with his opportunities than those two? No. Cobb caught 55, Ginn plus Smith caught... 55.

Scheme wise of course, they're totally different players but I see merit in comparing the opportunities players had before anointing them 'better'.

I don't know for sure. Numbers aren't everything, but if you add up the number of targets Ginn and TreQuan got this year (81) it is very similar to how many targets Cobb had (83).

So did Cobb do more with his opportunities than those two? No. Cobb caught 55, Ginn plus Smith caught... 55.

Scheme wise of course, they're totally different players but I see merit in comparing the opportunities players had before anointing them 'better'.

A good point worth bringing up. I would counter with the QB throwing the ball though (and scheme difference as you mentioned). Drew has typically improved receiver catch rates.

I think the fit and price are in our ballpark.

I think he'd be better than any WR on our roster not named Michael Thomas.

I like the veteran part. We need an experienced guy who can come in here and fit in quickly. If he can get open, and catch the ball, Drew will throw it to him.

Bingo. Not even a fan of Cobb but imo he’s a huge improvement over any of our WR’s besides Thomas. Admittedly that isn’t saying much tho. I’d take Randal Hill over TQS.
Heck this guy would instantly be our #2 WR if we signed him:

Attachments

• E4607788-359D-4D36-AD2D-79AD197AB86E.jpeg
    E4607788-359D-4D36-AD2D-79AD197AB86E.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 4

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom