What actor/ess traverses both TV and film equally well? (1 Viewer)

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
My first nominee is John Goodman. When trying to decide where his claim to fame is, I truly can't find a place to land. Dan Connor to Walter Sobchak and beyond. I haven't seen his entire filmography; but everything I HAVE seen him in, I pretty much remember.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so we're talking about (good) actors we'd expect to see in a Waffle house?
with this new wave of clean living celebrities this is gonna be tough...
i'll go with Gael Garcia Bernal - maybe that's why we haven't seen much of him lately
Michael Madsen.

Bishop

shuffle-by Poster
Reaction score
Norman Reedus. My son ran into him at the Atl DMV a couple years ago, so I then assumed he wouldn't get killed off. Son asked if he was an actor. He said yeah, but declined a pic because others would bother him. My phone buzzed like 5x while I was in a meeting, and it was him going to say hi to me. Son reported that he had shades on and had gotten whiff of liquor as they chatted.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OP
OP
Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, there's lesser known actors just going where the work is, then there's the ones who really made a splash in one medium and then try to "break out" in another "splashy" way with flame out results. Best example of that I can think of is David Caruso.

OP
OP
Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, Jennifer Anniston. Obvs made her splash on TV but tons of movie roles while Courtney Cox and Lisa Kudrow have remained in TV for the most part.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jeffrey Wright

I don't know if he's done any tv other than Westworld and he never has large movie roles but he's always excellent

I guess westworld would make Anthony Hopkins eligible too

I'd also add john Lithgow

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Alec Baldwin
He was a major movie star and goes seamlessly between tv and major movies. He's great on SNL and was a huge part of 30 Rock's success. And he still does big movies like the Mission Impossible series.
As some lagniappe to this, Alec Baldwin was originally considered for the role of Nucky Thompson on Boardwalk Empire. From tidbits from Mark Wahlberg and Scorsese contract issues and prior commitments derailed it.

I wish there was an alternate timeline where I could of seen that series.

Steve Buscemi is a great actor, deserves to be on this list as well for weaving between great TV and great film, but Baldwin would of been a perfect anchor for that show. Probably heightened it above the slightly above average place it ultimately fell.

OP
OP
Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jeffrey Wright

I don't know if he's done any tv other than Westworld and he never has large movie roles but he's always excellent
I remember him first from Basquiat. And now I don't know where I know him best from ... Hunger Games? Boardwalk Empire? The Invasion? Westworld? Etc., etc. Has become a major actor (also has a Tony for Angels in America and also did the TV mini series) while quietly becoming a major star in more than one medium. An excellent example.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)