What actor/ess traverses both TV and film equally well? (1 Viewer)

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
My first nominee is John Goodman. When trying to decide where his claim to fame is, I truly can't find a place to land. Dan Connor to Walter Sobchak and beyond. I haven't seen his entire filmography; but everything I HAVE seen him in, I pretty much remember.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I remember him first from Basquiat. And now I don't know where I know him best from ... Hunger Games? Boardwalk Empire? The Invasion? Westworld? Etc., etc. Has become a major actor (also has a Tony for Angels in America and also did the TV mini series) while quietly becoming a major star in more than one medium. An excellent example.
yeah it's just insane range
he was INCREDIBLE in Angels in America
he was also Peoples in Shaft
it's hard to get more bookendy than those 2 roles

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Tom Selleck. Always great on TV and had a good stretch of movies, although he's now just a straight to disc kind of guy.

OP
OP
Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tom Selleck. Always great on TV and had a good stretch of movies, although he's now just a straight to disc kind of guy.
Really? I think of him as having flamed out in movies. Notwithstanding the "3 Men" movies, remember Her Alibi? Quigley Down Under? Mr. Baseball? To me, his claim to fame lies 97% in TV: Magnum PI, Blue Bloods, the Jesse Stone series .... the great 1978 TV movie "Superdome"!!

billinms

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Really? I think of him as having flamed out in movies. Notwithstanding the "3 Men" movies, remember Her Alibi? Quigley Down Under? Mr. Baseball? To me, his claim to fame lies 97% in TV: Magnum PI, Blue Bloods, the Jesse Stone series .... the great 1978 TV movie "Superdome"!!
Well y'all have already taken all the good ones.

Kevin Bacon

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone mention Tom Hardy yet?

billinms

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Where does Ron Howard fit in the conversation? Great TV success as a child/teen, some success in movies while young, then an incredible career directing.

billinms

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
And I take umbrage to so quickly belittling his movie career. Quigley Down Under and Mr. Baseball were both great movies and have you forgotten Runaways, starring Gene Simmons (KISS) as the villain? I believe that movie won Oscar for longest tongue.

purvis_guy

Victim of Laughing Chance
Reaction score
And I take umbrage to so quickly belittling his movie career. Quigley Down Under and Mr. Baseball were both great movies and have you forgotten Runaways, starring Gene Simmons (KISS) as the villain? I believe that movie won Oscar for longest tongue.
I agree with Bill, Selleck had some very good movies, loved Quigley....Selleck was awesome as a cowboy, and one of the best "bad guys" in movie history: Alan Rickman. Also liked "An Innocent Man."

Last edited:

maybellineo

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hamm - can't immediately think of a memorable film role .... I think that's gonna change
Stewart - yes. Also does a lot of theatre so very versatile and transcendent
Coon - don't know the name without Googling
Jon Hamm in Baby Driver. Played a really evil dude.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)