What are must have apps or widgets for Android? (1 Viewer)

Zaphod

Mostly Harmless
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to get my first smart phone. I've been using a regular cell phone for a while now, but I'm finally taking the plunge. I'm getting the Galaxy S II (I know the III will be out soon, but my old phone died and I can't wait any longer and.. the S II is only ten bucks right now) and I'm wondering what all apps or widgets I should get.

I know I need a phone finder app and something to back up data and contacts. Aside from that, I'm not even sure what I should be looking at.

Anyone willing to lend some advice?

I had an GS2, it was my first Android phone too(gave it away after 6 months & got a Windows phone). If your really set on getting this phone, get Advanced App Killer or something similar, don't use Live wallpaper, & dont stray far from an outlet for to long :p
Also, look for the WHODAT App!

.....Windows phone was a Lumia 900

I'm about to get my first smart phone. I've been using a regular cell phone for a while now, but I'm finally taking the plunge. I'm getting the Galaxy S II (I know the III will be out soon, but my old phone died and I can't wait any longer and.. the S II is only ten bucks right now) and I'm wondering what all apps or widgets I should get.

I know I need a phone finder app and something to back up data and contacts. Aside from that, I'm not even sure what I should be looking at.

Anyone willing to lend some advice?
That's a good choice for a first smartphone. No matter what anyone tells you, do not install an App Killer. Not only does it not do you any good, it can actually increase battery usage and drag down performance. Android hasn't needed that feature since well before Gingerbread.

Contacts are backed up with your gmail account. Just follow the set up process and youll never need to worry about losing a contact ever again. No additional app needed.

Here are the apps that I can't live without:
Tasker (Root)
Titanium Backup (Root)
Wireless Tether (Root)
Google Voice Search
Google Talk
Google Music
Google Maps/Navigation
Google Places
Astrid Task
Dropbox
Alarm Clock Plus
Cloud Print
Documents to Go (Paid)
ES File Explorer
Family GPS Locator
Real Calculator

and some fun ones:
Google Sky Maps
Netflix
Facebook
Angry Birds
Red Stone
Words w/ Friends
Tapatalk (Paid)
WDLive Remote
Fruit Slice
TuneIn Radio
HD Widgets (Paid)
Pandora
Instagram
Zedge
Shazam/Soundhound

Thanks. I'm going to give those a look.

I agree with the ones MLU posted and will add:

Widget-able Apps:
AudioManager Pro
Beautiful Widgets (Super Clock)
Smooth Calendar

Games:
Alchemy
Flick! Golf
Flick! Soccer
Words with Friends
DrawSomething

Other Apps:
Camera360
PaperCamera
Google Currents
Google Drive
Pulse
WhatsApp
TweetCaster

MLU pretty much has it covered; he even has a few that I probably need to check out! Ostensibly missing from that list is Lookout Mobile Security. I use it primarily for anti-virus scanning and the GPS/location feature came in REAL handy when my Android fell out of its brand new case at Best Buy, but I didn't realize my phone was missing until I got home.

I logged onto my Lookout account, located the device, called Best Buy, and they confirmed they had some lost/found phones and wanted me to prove which was mine. I described it and said I'm gonna call that phone from the phone number 717-XXX-XXXX and I want you to pick it up and answer when I do. Sure enough, I got it back...

If I wouldn't have gotten so lucky, I would've upgraded my Lookout subscription to a paid version and sent an "alarm" signal to the phone that over-rides volume settings; failing that, I would've wiped out my device data and shut down/bricked the phone from my home computer!

Lookout Mobile Security has provided tremendous peace of mind, especially for a free app!

MLU nailed it. Here's a few I would add:

QuickPic (better than default Gallery)
MX Player (will play any video file you throw at it)
Camera ZOOM FX (best camera app, IMO)

MLU pretty much has it covered; he even has a few that I probably need to check out! Ostensibly missing from that list is Lookout Mobile Security. I use it primarily for anti-virus scanning and the GPS/location feature came in REAL handy when my Android fell out of its brand new case at Best Buy, but I didn't realize my phone was missing until I got home.

I logged onto my Lookout account, located the device, called Best Buy, and they confirmed they had some lost/found phones and wanted me to prove which was mine. I described it and said I'm gonna call that phone from the phone number 717-XXX-XXXX and I want you to pick it up and answer when I do. Sure enough, I got it back...

If I wouldn't have gotten so lucky, I would've upgraded my Lookout subscription to a paid version and sent an "alarm" signal to the phone that over-rides volume settings; failing that, I would've wiped out my device data and shut down/bricked the phone from my home computer!

Lookout Mobile Security has provided tremendous peace of mind, especially for a free app!

Has anyone tried using any other anti-virus/anti-theft apps? Lookout sounds good, but there are a few important features not available with the free version. From the descriptions I've read, Avast's mobile version looks solid. However, they don't have a webpage interface and you have to enter all of your commands via SMS.. I'm probably going to go with Lookout but, from the way the comments on the app store sound, once I install it I'm stuck with it so I want to do as much research as possible before I take that step.

I don't run any Antivirus apps. I'm not convinced that they're needed.

I'm convinced you may be correct! In 2 years, Lookout hasn't found a single virus/malware on my handset...so either I'm a super-responsible surfer/downloader, or it's crappy anti-virus software. ;-0

No worries, though, as I got it for the GPS locator function/data wipe ability. There's just too much sensitive personal information on my smartphone...available to a stranger if it goes missing for ANY reason. And I REALLY like the ability to upgrade my account to a paid version at a moment's notice, backup my phone data to my account, then wipe the phone and brick it for who ever has it now. Assuming it really does work, anti-virus is a bonus...

Also, truth be told...<looking over shoulder for eavesdroppers>...it's a great tracking tool for my teenagers! And since they have their phones glued to them ALL THE TIME, I know where they are at any given moment that I require that knowledge.

I'm definitely more interested in the anti-theft features than the anti-virus ones. They're just usually packaged together.

I agree with the ones MLU posted and will add:

Google Drive
I love the Google Apps, but I snagged Documents to Go one day when the Amazon Market offered it up as a free download. It links seamlessly with your Google Docs and even seems a bit faster. Didn't see the need for both and DTG handles pdf and word docs very well, too.

if your the kind of person that would do this, not saying I do (whistling nonchalantly), but its easy to get paid apps for free..
just use a site like 4shared.com and search for the app you want, followed by .apk...
I have a 'friend' who hasn't paid for an app for 2 years.. just sayin.

sent from my Samsung Infuse using Tapatalk

Will have to check it out..

Anyone use Cubie messenger? You can draw pics in text messages..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom