What are some food/drinks from way back that you associate with certain people? (1 Viewer)

You summered in Switzerland as a kid? Well, excuuuse me... :hihi:

I only became aware of Nutella in high school when my parents went to Europe on vacation and brought back a few jars.. Then years later i bought a big tub of it at Costco and, like most food i get at Costco, i ate so much of it that it kinda turns me off now.

It's funny.. When I was 10 - 12 I didn't mind 3 weeks abroad. As I got to teen years, I would hate spending 3 - 4 weeks there away from friends. Had attitude and all. All my friends home, having fun and here I am in a car, driving thru the Alps on way to Italy or on TGV train doing 150 on way to Germany. "oh another tall mountain? Great. We there yet?"

I'm embarrassed to say I was an arse. But in my defense I was a teen lol.

Saw several years back Nutella arrived. Bought some too and was like hmmmm this isn't how I remembered. Let my kids try, didn't like it. So now I see on shelves and just pass it by.

My junior high had a snack bar they would open for afternoon recess. One of the custodians would run it and they sold chips and cokes basically. But they also sold atomic fireballs and little packets of cinnamon toothpicks.

Man, the 80s!

Yesssss! We had in High School... Cold drinks, popcorn, pickles and the 25c 5 pk Now and Laters.

And ours was run by Mr Riley... Science teacher.

Just next to the Smoking area lolololol

80s indeed!

Yeah, my mom overcooked chicken and pork chops (later discovered it was due to fear of trickinosis), I avoided pork chops until the first time I ate at my wife's parents (and her mom knew how to cook them), i was so pleasantly surprised to have a juicy delicious pork chop....that is not to say mom was not a good cook, she was, her casseroles were great and she actually learned how to cook seafood in LA (she was from MI) so she did that really well....

My grandfather made the best buttermilk pancakes and sausages on the planet. I'm not a big pancake fan as ive gotten old (er) but I still haven't had any close to his, maybe just a good memory? Cheers all and eat well....
I think that gravies, and condiments, became as popular as they are because people had to use them in order to eat overcooked pork chops, steak, sausage, and hamburgers.

I think you are spot on....
My FiL insisted on well done meat. A lot of beef cattle gave their lives in vain because of it. The only way to eat the stuff was to coat it thoroughly with steak sauce.

My FiL insisted on well done meat. A lot of beef cattle gave their lives in vain because of it. The only way to eat the stuff was to coat it thoroughly with steak sauce.
I grew up with well done and have gradually, moved to somewhere between rare and medium rare. My Mom liked hers bleu. 😱

Another thing my Great Grand did a lot was chicken and dumplings. And they were fantastic. I have struggled to master it. It’s like you go from soup to paste in .25 seconds.
same with mine. i do miss those. he also made fantastic chicken cordon bleu and chicken and almonds. he was a fantastic cook, but he came from a family of chefs.

my grandma can't cook for sheet.

The depression and WW2 rationing has a huge impact on American cuisine

No question about it. My Dad grew up during the depression and was a WWII vet. When he was little (his father died a few years after WWI from mustard gas damage) his mom got work but nothing steady. His brother and him would hunt/fish and often trade fish/game to the farmers for meat/diary, his mom had a big vegetable garden also. So, for a number of years they basically lived off the land....by the time he was 15 or so his mom got a steady job (I think with the phone company) and while he still hunted and fished they were able to regularly buy groceries....

Sorry for rambling, he passed in 2014 at 94 years old, he was the best father anyone could hope to have, he taught multiple family members how to fish (and taught some how to play golf as well)....miss him every day.....

An uncle of mine who is now deceased....... He is the sole reason I ever gave cooked cabbage a chance, when he basically put it on a plate and insisted I try it. It just always looked so gross to me prior to then, but I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it.

Went to my MawMaw's house (Dad side) every Sunday after mass. I never thought about how limited a menu they cooked, but round steak with a grease gravy and rice or an okra gumbo were really the only two things I remember eating there.

Always had Dr. Pepper (in the old 10, 2, 4 bottles) but you had to be careful not to grab one heavily spiked with Seagrams 7. And she often made cupcakes.

We had a language barrier as she only spoke French. I "babysat" her one summer at about age 12 so she wouldn't be alone. Never really got close to her. To this day, I regret resisting to learn French. Both parents spoke it and many of their generation did.

We had a language barrier as she only spoke French. I "babysat" her one summer at about age 12 so she wouldn't be alone. Never really got close to her. To this day, I regret resisting to learn French. Both parents spoke it and many of their generation did.

My great grandparents basically only spoke Cajun French, but it was sorta bas****ized with English, so communication wasnt really a barrier once you got used to their thick accent.

As for me, i took a total of probably 6 yrs of French classes , starting in 1st grade, then again in 8th grade, then probably two years each in high school and college.. Besides the 1st grade classes, each other time, i took them voluntarily, and it seemed to me like a more interesting language than Spanish.. and despite making decent grades every time i took it, i never really utilized it or practiced beyond the bare minimum- and as a result, today I cant speak a lick of French and can only remember a handful of phrases.

My great grandparents basically only spoke Cajun French, but it was sorta bas****ized with English, so communication wasnt really a barrier once you got used to their thick accent.

As for me, i took a total of probably 6 yrs of French classes , starting in 1st grade, then again in 8th grade, then probably two years each in high school and college.. Besides the 1st grade classes, each other time, i took them voluntarily, and it seemed to me like a more interesting language than Spanish.. and despite making decent grades every time i took it, i never really utilized it or practiced beyond the bare minimum- and as a result, today I cant speak a lick of French and can only remember a handful of phrases.
I had 3 years of German in HS and actually minored in it in college - can speak almost none now
OTOH, I basically stayed in Italy, Spain, France (and some Latin/South American countries) for 3 years and basically developed a Romance pidgin and could get by with changing up accents/pronunciations

il semble que j'ai donné une âme à mes pantalons

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom